Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 08:52 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
I agree, ontheroad. That's why my first instinct was Lawrenceville. But I wanted to at least give the Friendship/Garfield Penn Avenue strip fair consideration.

Did you check out that art all night link? Do you plan on heading to Lawrenceville this weekend?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2007, 08:56 AM

10,203 posts, read 27,120,494 times
Yes, wish they provided more specifics. It's probably my last weekend here, so I may or may not have time to attend. Thanks for posting it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post

Did you check out that art all night link? Do you plan on heading to Lawrenceville this weekend?

Old 04-24-2007, 09:49 AM

75 posts, read 94,294 times
Quote:
Southside, Bloomfield, and Squirrel Hill aren't going to be affordable.
What is defined as affordable? I have shopped for property in Southside, Squirrel Hill and Lawrenceville and have not found a big different. Out of what is available, decent sized (but in so-so shape) storefronts start at about 500, the non storefronts can run you less.

Old 04-24-2007, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaily View Post
What is defined as affordable? I have shopped for property in Southside, Squirrel Hill and Lawrenceville and have not found a big different. Out of what is available, decent sized (but in so-so shape) storefronts start at about 500, the non storefronts can run you less.
I've looked at commercial property in Southside, Shadyside and Lawrenceville. Lawrenceville was significantly more affordable.

Property values are higher in Southside and Squirrel Hill. It's just a fact.

He's interested in buying. It's clear he wants a good deal since he's considering the West End.

Old 04-24-2007, 02:59 PM

Quote:
I've looked at commercial property in Southside, Shadyside and Lawrenceville. Lawrenceville was significantly more affordable.
Tell me what commercial property in Shadyside is actually for sale? People aren't selling the property in high traffic areas they are renting it. So yes he can get a cheap place in Lawrenceville, but its not going to get foot traffic. But I can also find a cheap place in the Southside that is off carson. Compare apples-apples and the prices are pretty similar.

Old 04-24-2007, 03:32 PM

Moderator cut: Personal

Quote:
People aren't selling the property in high traffic areas they are renting it. So yes he can get a cheap place in Lawrenceville, but its not going to get foot traffic.
He doesn't necessarily want a high foot traffic area; his business doesn't depend on the random walk in customer. He doesn't necessarily want to rent; he hopes to find a storefront he can buy and live upstairs. And I also get the impression he'd love to be in a position to find some beautiful architecture at a bargain price that he can renovate into a cool space.

I know these things because he has shared them in his posts throughout various threads. Many of us are paying close attention to all of a members posts because we're here to help members who want to live in Pittsburgh. And those are the reason I recommended looking into Lawrenceville.

Quote:
But I can also find a cheap place in the Southside that is off carson. Compare apples-apples and the prices are pretty similar.
Then go buy it!

Seriously, there's a difference between a side street in Southside and the main street in Lawrenceville.

He might not need foot traffic, but he doesn't want to be completely obscure.

Many of us are trying to help him brainstorm, not just argue just for the sake of arguing.

Old 04-24-2007, 03:38 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,120,494 times
NB - Lawrenceville is beginning to see some "serious" foot traffic. When I had breakfast at Coco's two weeks ago I was surprised how much Butler had changed in just a little of a year. Quite a few new stores, a rather fancy restaurant or two, and people walking along the street in the sun__and very few parking spots. It was crowded, a week day and early!

Old 04-24-2007, 11:25 PM

83 posts, read 248,636 times
Hopes, are you a human resources person? It seems like a natural fit? I appreciate your postive 'can do' outlook.

Thanks to everyone for their take on the West End, and other areas, etc... Many good points and places posted that are well worth considering. I need to do some serious investigation. I'm planning on making a short trip to Pgh soon. I will definitely make a survey of all the areas mentioned. I will also visit every music business location that affects my plan.

Foot traffic is good for neighborhood word of mouth, but actual car traffic is better advertising. I am definitely interested high visibilty, but am open other qualities, features, and locations that may offset that benefit. I am open to all suggestions. Dream early, and distill it down to a good decision ... Thanks all.

Old 04-24-2007, 11:30 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Penn Avenue is one of the major thoroughfares through the East End. Good car traffic. West End is used mostly as an alternate route around Fort Pitt Tunnel backups; not as much through-traffic there because as Hopes mentioned it's not a terribly convenient place to get to from much of the city.

Old 04-24-2007, 11:35 PM

Moderator cut: Off topic/personal
Quote:
Many of us are trying to help him brainstorm, not just argue just for the sake of arguing.
I don't think his business will do well in Pittsburgh, I've told him a few reasons. Moderator cut: Insult

To me that is helping him, telling him why I think his business won't do good here. I have played guitar since I've been 12 (granted, I largely just play classical now) and I've lived in the area for awhile, so I think I have at least some idea about what I'm talking about. If he was talking about opening a flower store I wouldn't have said anything.

Furthermore, I have read his posts but that doesn't mean I agree with them. He has really no way to know whether his business requires foot traffic or not in Pittsburgh. Maybe in LA it doesn't, although I recall him stating that he is in a area with decent foot traffic. So sure if he doesn't care about foot traffic he can find something to buy, but if he wants foot traffic then renting is the most likely solution. Also, compared to LA Pittsburgh has no areas with a lot of foot traffic. So, I feel an area in LA with moderate foot traffic translates into a high traffic area in Pittsburgh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh