U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-14-2009, 07:28 AM

60 posts, read 82,996 times
Default Taxes of Allegheny county vs Westmoreland

I've read in many posts that Allegheny county taxes are very high. I searched for similiar homes in Monroeville and Murrysville and found contrary information. Both are from the mid 1970s and valued around 270K.
The property tax of the Murrysville house is almost 1K more. Obviously I'm missing something. Whats the deal?

I've always rented before so don't know all the relevant taxes to take into consideration when owning a home.

4331 Bulltown Road , Murrysville, PA 15668 (MLS# 785381) - Coldwell Banker Real Estate Services - PittsburghMoves.com

104 Windsor Court , Monroeville, PA 15146 (MLS# 771168) - Coldwell Banker Real Estate Services - PittsburghMoves.com

Appreciate the comments. Thanks...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2009, 08:41 AM

3,348 posts, read 2,941,167 times
The house in Monroeville is assessed at 183K. It seems as if a reassessment in Allegheny County is looming. You will likely be hit with a reassessment based on your purchase price of 270,000.

Doesn't Westmoreland have a base year? So your assessment may be firm.

Old 08-14-2009, 10:49 AM

357 posts, read 523,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robrobrob View Post
Doesn't Westmoreland have a base year? So your assessment may be firm.
I wouldn't count on base year being firm anywhere in the state, given the recent ruling of the PA Supreme Court. The Court says that if the assessments get too far out of whack (e.g. like in our county), then the county must reassess.

Old 08-14-2009, 10:58 AM

782 posts, read 468,742 times
Yes, Westmoreland has a base year, somewhere in the 1970's, I suspect, as my "assessed" value is $26,000 for a 3 bedroom, 2.5 bath, 1972 split entry with newer kitchen and 12x20 addition on the back.

Different Townships in Westmoreland will have different tax rates just like in Allegheny but as a whole, you will pay less for property taxes in Westmoreland Co. Just as an example, I pay less taxes for my home than my cousin who lives in McKeesport who has a much smaller house.

Depending on what the state/legislators decide to do with the state police coverage for municipalities, I suppose my taxes will increase at some point in the future whether it is to reimburse the state for the PSP or to fund a force for Hempfield or the region.

You really get the screws put to you if you live within the PGH city limits because you pay higher property tax and you pay 3 times as much for the wage/personal income tax.

Old 08-14-2009, 11:47 AM

2,109 posts, read 2,568,035 times
I like living in the city, and I think I'm getting good value for the taxes I pay. Professional police, firefighters, EMS, convenient and world-class hospitals down the street, universities, libraries, museums, galleries, theatre, locally-owned unique restaurants, vibrant street life, and good public transport. For me, it all evens out because I take advantage of all the amenities. And I save a ton of money on gasoline because I never have to go very far. I think it all evens out.

Old 08-14-2009, 01:04 PM

60 posts, read 82,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robrobrob View Post
The house in Monroeville is assessed at 183K. It seems as if a reassessment in Allegheny County is looming. You will likely be hit with a reassessment based on your purchase price of 270,000.
How did you find out the assessed rate? I don't see anything in the listing.

Old 08-14-2009, 01:28 PM

3,348 posts, read 2,941,167 times
For houses in Allegheny County, go to this website

http://www2.county.allegheny.pa.us/R...te/Search.aspx

Taxes in Allegheny County are pretty screwed up. For the longest time, certain properties weren't assessed accurately. These properties were owned by people who were connected or were owned by people who have owned them for years. I would spend some time reading up on this in the local paper, the Post-Gazette. Basically, our system is a ticking time bomb that no politician wants to touch and the State Supreme Court said that we have to "reassess" soon.

Old 08-14-2009, 08:41 PM

2,405 posts, read 2,911,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeo View Post
I like living in the city, and I think I'm getting good value for the taxes I pay. Professional police, firefighters, EMS, convenient and world-class hospitals down the street, universities, libraries, museums, galleries, theatre, locally-owned unique restaurants, vibrant street life, and good public transport. For me, it all evens out because I take advantage of all the amenities. And I save a ton of money on gasoline because I never have to go very far. I think it all evens out.
Don't forget you can just leave your trash (and recycling) on the curb, too. In Seattle and most other places I've lived, you get a monthly bill for that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh