U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-19-2009, 08:53 AM

1 posts, read 3,083 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are moving to Moon Township from Northeast PA, as he is furthering his education at RMU. As life would have it, we recently found out I am pregnant! So, with this in mind, I am looking for some guidance on OBGYNs and hospitals. I have done a fair amount of research but I always appreciate hearing personal opinions as well.

Considering that I will be in Moon Township, I found that Sewickley Valley Hospital will probably be the closest for us to get to when I am in labor. However, I really like things I have read about West Penn Hospital (Labor, delivery, recovery and post partum rooms; rooms suitable for c-section delivery if needed, have jacuzzi tub). My insurance covers doctors that are affiliated with both, but I just need a push in the right direction. Has anyone heard anything negative about Sewickley? Do you have any doctors you can recommend?

The three names I have come across and am considering are Dr. Christina Cirucci, Dr. Kristine Santerini (both from Moraca OBGYN and affiliated with Sewickley) and also Dr. Karen Roberti (affiliated with West Penn). Anyone know anything positive or negative?

I know this is long, but any thoughts and guidance will be appreciated. Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2009, 11:15 AM

1,329 posts, read 1,970,733 times
I'd recommend choosing a place that is more equipped to take care of the unexpected problems than one that takes a little less time to drive to. You'll still be pretty close to West Penn...

Old 08-19-2009, 11:28 AM

12,109 posts, read 13,940,048 times
I was born in Sewickley Hospital, and it is a great facility.

Have you considered Magee Womens Hospital? That's where my two were born (firstborn an unplanned c-section...).

http://www.upmc.com/HospitalsFacilit...ages/Home.aspx

Old 08-19-2009, 01:09 PM

8,449 posts, read 7,633,097 times
Hey, REAL Pittsburghers are born at Magee!

Old 08-19-2009, 01:52 PM

9,886 posts, read 9,994,061 times
Magee and West Penn are the two best equipped places to handle any serious complications with births. A coworker here had issues during both her pregnancies and each time she ended up at West Penn. The rooms in that section, even several years ago (I went over to visit once or twice during those times), were quite appealing. Depending upon which insurance company you have, you may have better coverage at West Penn than Magee. (Unless you have Blue Cross or UPMC itself, access to UPMC hospitals tends to be more limited.) West Penn tends to be my go-to hospital of choice when I have to deal with one, which, luckily, has not been often.

I'm sure there must be plenty of births at Sewickley Valley as well as all the other hospitals in the area. So it's just a choice. There's no reason you can't plan to have your baby at Sewickley Valley. But it would be good to know that if you have serious issues that the facility can't handle what your plan will be. Knowing that you will, say, fall back on West Penn, and making others aware of that, will help you if complications arise. All the better if you can actually find a doctor that operates at both if that's the way you want to go, but you typically won't find a ton of overlap between West Penn and the Sewickley Valley people.

Specific doctors tends to be a matter of preference. If you can get a ref, great. Otherwise you pretty much just have to try one out and see. They do rate doctors on Angie's List now, and a couple other places, but that's still pretty hit or miss that you'll find a useful writeup of the doctors you are interested in.

Old 08-19-2009, 05:26 PM

1,856 posts, read 5,915,715 times
One of the best things about Pittsburgh is that there are plenty of really good hospitals to choose from. If you find yourself needing a new heart, Pittsburgh is the place to be.

I was very happy with Sewickley hospital when they sewed my face back on.

Old 11-12-2009, 01:59 PM

1 posts, read 2,791 times
Keep in mind that if you choose to give birth at Sewickley Hospital and something goes wrong with you or your baby has any problems, this hospital does not have a neonatal intensive care unit nor is it equipped to handle major medical problems the mother may encounter. If there is a problem with your baby they will life flight it or send it by ambulance to West Penn or AGH for advanced care. If YOU have a problem, they will do the same thing---meaning that unless it is an uncompliacted birth--which I hope for you---the two of you have the potential to be separated unless you have a textbook birth.
In addition, the downtown hospitals are teaching hospitals---meaning they are always learning, are up on the latest technology and trying new things there that could be life saving. Sewickley is not a teaching hospital. If you, have the option, go with an OB affiliated with a hospital downtown---that's what I did and Sewickley Hospital is in my backyard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh