Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2007, 11:31 AM

20 posts, read 112,800 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to Pittsburgh after I get married at the end of July. My fiancee is born and raised in Fort Lauderdale, FL and has only ever lived there and here (Key West). I would love to immediately buy a house (Cranberry TWP / Mars area) but need to be sure my wife-to-be can handle a real winter. So we are looking for a loft in or around downtown, for a year, and need advice.
We don't mind spending up to say $1500/month either because I want her to really come to love Pittsburgh and an affordable, cookie-cutter apartment won't help. Any suggestions? I have been watching the craigslist and just keep seeing recycled ads. Oh, and preferably a loft in an area with lots to do nearby to keep her busy.

PS I keep seeing Lawrenceville lofts all over the craigslist for cheap. Anyone recommend the area?

Thanks for your help! -Skip
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2007, 12:02 PM

2,902 posts, read 10,069,039 times
Absolutely! For $1500, you can get a trendy one-bedroom loft, no problem. I rented from the Lofts at SouthSide Works for 2 years. I was one of their first residents! The places are GREAT. Ultra modern with either bamboo or polished concrete floors and stainless steel kitchens. Great place! Loved it there! I had a two bed-room loft and I think rent was around $1700. There are also the Heinz Lofts which I hear are also very nice and they are essentially downtown. I don't believe they are at full capacity, either. I imagine SouthSide Works Lofts are but they probably have a fairly high turn-around because of people like you renting There are many others, including several little places in the strip district which are fairly artsy and unique. If you want to live someplace in town, trendy, clean, and new, I would first and foremost look the Heinzs Lofts and Lofts at the SouthSide Works.

Old 04-27-2007, 12:20 PM

Default OOOooo...

Thanks for the super fast reply! Just checked out Heinz Lofts. Gorgeous! Definitely on my list now. When you say the SouthSide Lofts do you mean the Grant School lofts? Or the Flats @ SouthSide Works? I get a bunch of responses from Google. I would like to check out the place you lived since it comes recommended.
Thanks again!
-Skip

Old 04-27-2007, 12:22 PM

Flats at SouthSide Works and I wouldn't have left there for the world except I now live in my parents condo which is right next door to my University. Oh oh! There's another one you MUST check out. It's the old cork factory converted into lofts and it's in the strip!!! I've heard really good things about it! A must place to check out!

http://www.thecorkfactory.com/

Also, right across the street from the Flats at SouthSide Works are the Carson Street Commons. I looked at them as well. They are priced about the same as the Flats but are much more "family-friendly" and look more like a home and less trendy. They are carpeted and the kitchens are a bit homely, but they are nice, too! You might be interested in something like that, as well.

Old 04-27-2007, 12:38 PM

I saw the Cork Factory and in fact, that's where I tell people we are going to live when we get there. Just so I don't have to say,"I'm not really sure"!
But what's better? Area wise? SouthSide or The Strip in your opinion?
I really like the Flats too... Man they look sweet! Great picks by the way! You have my full attention...

Old 04-27-2007, 12:44 PM

Well depends on how old ya guys are and what you like to do for fun! Both the Strip and Southside are TEEMING with college kids and young adults (or even not so young people, just people that like to be around other people!). The Heinz Lofts are what was converted from the old Heinz factories, which in case you don't know, are just along the beginning of North 28, the very tip top of the north east portion of the city.

So if you want less hustle and bustle, do Heinz Lofts. If you want the MOST hustle and bustle it would be Flats at Southside works no contest. The Cork Factory is in the strip but it's not directly in the midst of the entertainment district (unlike the Flats @ Works). So you might get the best of two worlds. Peace and quiet when you want, but a few block walk to excitement!

The Southside DEFINITELY has more bars and the Strip DEFIITELY has more clubs. So it's all up to you! Don't write off the Heinz Lofts, either, it's a lot of fun being downtown and taking walks all around the city and being at the point, culture district, and PPG place in less than a few minutes!

Did that help at all?

Old 04-27-2007, 12:52 PM

Asolutely that helped! I'm not a clubber anymore (I'm 33) and I like the options from Heinz Lofts better than the other two. I'm going to send them an email right now and see what they have available. I will check more into The Flats since I will be bartending up there until we get our own bar going. How convenient would it be to get a gig right near where I live? Argh... it's off to work for me. Have you ever heard of Dr.Zoot? They are a swing band from Pburgh and are playing where I bartend (Margaritaville) this week. We love them!

Old 04-27-2007, 12:52 PM

Skip I hate to overwhelm you with another great option, but there is one more place you should absolutely check out. It's also brand new and it's SMACK in the middle of the culture district of downtown Pittsburgh. I've heard the occupancy rate is already very high but do yourself a favor and check it out!

It's called the Encore on 7th

http://www.theencoreon7th.com/

And don't let me imply that you are too old to be in the SouthSide or Strip, cause you absolutely aren't! As a matter of fact, the great majority of my neighbors and people at the Flats are young professionals and couples about your age. The places you are looking into are considered the more "trendy and expensive" lofts in Pittsburgh (by Pittsburgh's standards) and college kids usually can't afford them. I just happened to have several roommates that all could. haha. Those same places would be THOUSANDS of dollars per month in NYC or LA.

Old 04-27-2007, 12:58 PM

WOW! No joke! Gotta run but will check that out when I get home. Thanks! Thanks! Thanks!

Old 04-27-2007, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Those same places would be THOUSANDS of dollars per month in NYC or LA
I can attest to this, too. I had a friend from NYC that came and visited me while I lived at the Flats and she told me her place which was very similar in manhattan cost $5,700 a month and she split it 4 ways with 3 other girls and they still struggled. She almost cried when she saw my place and how much I paid for it. lol. And she wasn't even in an especially nice part of town!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh