Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 05:22 AM

6,342 posts, read 11,089,409 times

Advertisements

Your thoughts about this. Based upon what I've read the site has not been fully cleaned up.

http://www.nrc.gov/info-finder/decom...ck-wilcox.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2009, 07:21 AM

2,422 posts, read 2,279,054 times
No, it's not and there is a huge lawsuit,by former employees, which I believe has been settled. check the Vally dispatch for article's on this. You will have to search for the article's.-http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/

Old 08-21-2009, 10:54 AM

Thanks.

Old 02-05-2010, 10:22 AM

1 posts, read 4,087 times
Wow! I'm a former Babcock and Wilcox (Numec) employee from both Apollo and Vandergrift from 1976-1978. I didn't know about any of this. I'm healthy today. The things that I've read have of course scared me! Is there something that I should know? Medical tests? Should I contact someone? Have most of the 1960's and/or 1970's employees got sick? died?

Old 12-06-2011, 01:15 PM

6,897 posts, read 4,752,340 times
NUMEC - Buried Legacy - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review

Old 12-06-2011, 04:13 PM

1,035 posts, read 1,554,803 times
I'd be curious to know some statistics on the total number of people exposed to this and how many have developed, what could be, a related illness. It's definitely an eerie situation. I wonder how much possible data on cases can be pulled together to see just how high possible illness rates are among the exposed.

Old 12-06-2011, 04:23 PM

1,075 posts, read 1,693,150 times
As a side note, Canonsburg was once known as the most radioactive towns in America. The area has since been remediated, but it would still make me nervous to live in close proximity to the site of the former uranium mill.

Old 12-07-2011, 01:54 AM

1,104 posts, read 2,591,570 times
Anyone who's worked at a nuclear materials production facility should watch this video in its entirety. It's such a bizarre case involving this man who worked at such a facility near Cincinnati and was found dead in one of the plant's furnaces. Authorities say he probably committed suicide but others think he was murdered by some of the plant workers because he was going to blow the whistle on how the plant was releasing radioactive materials into the air and contaminating the environment.

Dave Bocks pt.1 - YouTube

Dave Bocks pt.2 - YouTube

Old 12-08-2011, 08:42 AM

I wish I could find a resource that shows just how many people have been negatively affected by this site. It does take years and in some cases, decades for health issues to crop up even when working with nuclear material. I'm still young enough that this issue is one that I must consider because it could affect me before I pass on due to old age or some other natural cause (wishful thinking). :-) Even though that site is located a mile or so out of town and is relatively small, my guess is that the nuclear material has leeched into the soil and has been spread by rainwater into adjacent areas. Since I don't know the source of the drinking water for Vandergrift or Apollo I can't surmise whether or not that water has been tainted or not. But it is probable that surrounding land has been impacted by nuclear material.

Old 12-08-2011, 09:55 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,752,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
I wish I could find a resource that shows just how many people have been negatively affected by this site. It does take years and in some cases, decades for health issues to crop up even when working with nuclear material. I'm still young enough that this issue is one that I must consider because it could affect me before I pass on due to old age or some other natural cause (wishful thinking). :-) Even though that site is located a mile or so out of town and is relatively small, my guess is that the nuclear material has leeched into the soil and has been spread by rainwater into adjacent areas. Since I don't know the source of the drinking water for Vandergrift or Apollo I can't surmise whether or not that water has been tainted or not.
Quote:
But it is probable that surrounding land has been impacted by nuclear material.
We will never know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh