Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 02:48 PM

29,739 posts, read 34,357,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love2Golf09 View Post
Has this actually been confirmed? I've been through Beechview a zillion times and I just don't feel the Latin flavor. I don't remember seeing any signs in Spanish or any hispanic restaurants, clubs, or bars. Where are all these hispanic people at? I think this whole thing started when Mayor Luke just randomly declared Beechview to be the hispanic area for Pittsburgh. I thought it was bizarre then and I haven't changed my mind since. If someone moves to Beechview and only speaks Spanish they're going to have a tough time.
I live in Beechview and while it's no Little Mexico, there are two Latin grocery stores, Tienda La Jiminez and Veracruz. When I'm waiting to take the T to downtown, I'm often surrounded by Spanish-speakers at my stop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2010, 07:44 PM

1 posts, read 1,516 times
Wink New in Pittsburgh

I'm new here at Pittsburgh and I'm looking for interesting people to meet. I come from Puerto Rico and I'll be staying at Pitt University during the summer working as an intern for an engineering research program. I'm also looking for weed and nice people to smoke with. I'm an artistic guy with lots of interests and would like to share some thoughts with someone.

Old 06-03-2010, 08:46 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,003,811 times
Here is a nice little summary of the actual facts with respect to Latino immigrants and subsequent assimilation:

Tyler Cowen and Daniel M. Rothschild - Blending In, Moving Up - washingtonpost.com

Some relevant excerpts:

Quote:
[C]ensus data show that most Latino immigrants learn and speak English quite well. Only about 2.5 percent of American residents speak Spanish but not English. The majority of residents of Spanish-speaking households speak English "very well." Only 7 percent of the children of Latino immigrants speak Spanish as a primary language, and virtually none of their children do. Just as they did a century ago, immigrants largely come knowing little English. But they learn, and their children use it as a primary language.

Old 06-03-2010, 02:49 PM

3,131 posts, read 9,371,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
Here is a nice little summary of the actual facts with respect to Latino immigrants and subsequent assimilation:

Tyler Cowen and Daniel M. Rothschild - Blending In, Moving Up - washingtonpost.com
Too many native born here don't learn English "very well." I'll never believe that most Latinos do. That's based on experience and not contrived census bureau facts. Spanish is a simple language to learn and U.S. English isn't. When a Target store near Washington, D.C. refused to have signs in Spanish they launched a massive protest.

Old 06-03-2010, 07:58 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,148,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterRabbit View Post
Too many native born here don't learn English "very well." I'll never believe that most Latinos do. That's based on experience and not contrived census bureau facts. Spanish is a simple language to learn and U.S. English isn't. When a Target store near Washington, D.C. refused to have signs in Spanish they launched a massive protest.
People need to grow up and learn the language of the place they are moving to. If I moved to Quebec (I've been there; minus labels all public signage is in French) or Germany I wouldn't start a protest to get the store nearest to me to put everything in English.

Old 06-14-2010, 08:41 AM

3 posts, read 6,433 times
Default any hispanic people here?

Saint Catherine's Catholic Church on Broadway in Beechview no longer has the Spanish Mass but there is definitely one in Oakland at Saint Hyacinth on the Blvd of the Allies at Craft avenue at Noon every Sunday.

The bilingual phone is 412 681 9365

The Latino office phone is 412 578 0402

There is a new Latino meat market CARNECERIA on Brookline blvd in Brookline que se llama "Las Palmas". They are friendly y hablan el espanol. They also cook tacos on the sidewalk every Fri and Sat evening.

For the PITT student, ask about LACU on campus. They are the Latin America student union on campus. Also, the BEEHIVE on E.Carson street at about 14 or 15 street is a good location to meet other students that interact and have a smoke.

Buena suerte. Dejeme saber lo que esta pasando en esta area. No estoy seguro si eso es gramatica correcta pero I'm trying to learn, poco a poco. Me entiende?

Old 06-14-2010, 10:25 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,811,894 times
are there puerto ricans ?

Old 06-14-2010, 10:36 AM

3 posts, read 6,433 times
Check with the Pittsburgh Language Meetup Group. They have a website and meet once a month at a local Latino restaurante.

I believe that most of the Puertoricanos are students at PITT and will be active in LACU, the latino student group.

Old 06-14-2010, 11:17 AM

3,343 posts, read 10,931,422 times
I don't know about Pittsburgh, but there are a decent amount of Puertoricans in the Youngstown metro near the pa border if you are looking to meet up with some.

Old 06-15-2010, 10:44 AM

222 posts, read 438,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CortlandGirl79 View Post
I don't know about Pittsburgh, but there are a decent amount of Puertoricans in the Youngstown metro near the pa border if you are looking to meet up with some.
I have family that live in Ellwood City which is pretty close to Ohio. I see a lot of Puerto Rican people in Youngstown. I think they're coming from Cleveland. Anyways there's a restaurant in Youngstown that I plan on hitting when I visit my family. I believe it's called Papa's Diner? I guess it's a Pizza parlor that also serves Puerto Rican food
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh