Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 02:36 PM

2,420 posts, read 4,712,700 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
As for the West, Californians aren't friendly people. When my girlfriend moved from California, she felt uncomfortable with her neighbors saying hello to her and strangers starting up conversations at the bus stop, etc. Maybe the unfriendliness is more of a southern California mentality. The San Fran area might be more friendly, don't know.

Another cultural difference is political correctness. Many Californians are shocked that people speak their minds here. But people I've known well from California harbored deeper resentment for minorities. They'll outwardly portray shock at normal comments and observations as racist. I suspect political correctness for many is used as a cover to appear to belong to the liberalism of California.

Californians are either going to love it or hate it here. That's all that's to it.
Some of the most ignorant and unfriendly people I've ever met were in Pittsburgh. Wait, I've been reading these boards too long. I meant California. The questions you get when they find out you're from the South are ridiculous. Like (and I quote): "Do people even wear shoes there?"

You get the picture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2009, 11:57 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
I suppose the question depends on how deeply you've been steeped in west coast culture and whether or not you're ready for a change. My ex was in a grad program at CMU. Her west coast classmates hated Pittsburgh and couldn't wait to get the hell out. That said, most of them were still in their 20s and hadn't begun to have their "cosmopolitan" itches scratched yet, had lived in cities that were doing that for hem, and Pittsburgh wasn't doing it. If you're older and more settled down, that kind of thing may not matter to you as much.

Mike Madison is a law prof at Pitt. He moved to Pittsburgh from SF and sometimes comments on the comparisons/contrasts at his blog, pittsblog.blogspot.com

Old 08-29-2009, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
People think of San Francisco having hills, steps, etc, but Pittsburgh has even more public steps than San Francisco! Just a fun stat I like. :-) They're signed as streets here too.
Yeah, I never really understood giving official "street names" to staircases. It creates an interesting situation when your GPS tries to tell you to drive your car up a set of stairs.

Old 08-29-2009, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshbarblahblah View Post
Oooh okay. Good for Duquesne! I knew that its law school is pretty good, but I didn't realize that the rest of it is so respected. I never really looked into Duquesne much, though, so perhaps that's why I was not aware.
You weren't aware because it's not. Duquesne is practically unknown outside of the region. It's law school is nothing special either. Even Pitt Law is considered an "also-ran" law school and it's still miles ahead of Duquesne.

Old 08-29-2009, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
In my experience as a transplant, people in Pittsburgh don't necessarily come across as extremely friendly at first (meaning they might seem a bit reserved and even cold), but they quickly respond in kind to people who are themselves friendly. There aren't a lot of formal rules of behavior and such--again, just avoid treating people like backwoods hicks and you should be perfectly fine.
Here's one social rule to consider: Pittsburgh is an anti-status-conscious city. Pittsburghers aren't exactly class-warriors, but they are not impressed by conspicuous displays of wealth unless they have some "Americana" theme attached to it: a big outdoor grill, a new wood deck out back, a Corvette or top-of-the-line Harley, etc. They are not impressed with Gucci, Vendi, or expensive but impractical trinkets, so don't try.

Old 08-29-2009, 12:18 PM

111 posts, read 258,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Here's one social rule to consider: Pittsburgh is an anti-status-conscious city. Pittsburghers aren't exactly class-warriors, but they are not impressed by conspicuous displays of wealth unless they have some "Americana" theme attached to it: a big outdoor grill, a new wood deck out back, a Corvette or top-of-the-line Harley, etc. They are not impressed with Gucci, Vendi, or expensive but impractical trinkets, so don't try.
I never even knew what coach (coche? I don't know) bags were before I got here and my wife pointed out everyone is carrying these things around which cost hundreds of dollars.

Not status conscious? Bulls balls. Keep telling yourself that... I just got back from slumming it on a Saturday morning doing some shopping, and was completely ignored and more than once shown to the discount section of stores just because I didn't feel like getting all niced up..

Whenever I go places after work in my dress shirt and slacks, it's an entirely different story.

Old 08-29-2009, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanswindle View Post
I never even knew what coach (coche? I don't know) bags were before I got here and my wife pointed out everyone is carrying these things around which cost hundreds of dollars.

Not status conscious? Bulls balls. Keep telling yourself that... I just got back from slumming it on a Saturday morning doing some shopping, and was completely ignored and more than once shown to the discount section of stores just because I didn't feel like getting all niced up..

Whenever I go places after work in my dress shirt and slacks, it's an entirely different story.
I don't have to tell myself that, I've lived it on both sides of the status-conscious environment. Compared to truly status-conscious cities or neighborhoods, Pittsburgh is T-shirt-and-jeans town. The sheer volume of primped little Trixies who flood the streets of my city on any given Saturday night is something you just don't see there. Or at least I never did, maybe I wasn't looking in the right places.

Old 08-29-2009, 12:31 PM

111 posts, read 258,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
I don't have to tell myself that. Compared to truly status-conscious cities or neighborhoods, Pittsburgh is T-shirt-and-jeans town. The sheer volume of primped little Trixies who flood the streets of my city on any given Saturday night is something you just don't see there. Or at least I never did, maybe I wasn't looking in the right places.
You just described precisely why I am leaving, I have a kid on the way and the idea of raising my kid surrounded by that scares the hell out of me.

I don't know where in Pittsburgh you were, maybe there's a down-to-earth area I haven't found, but I am amazed at how much I see 12 year olds trying to dress like they're going clubbing in stores just because they're taking after what all the women do around here.

I'm not saying anything about San Fran in comparison though, as I don't know where SF stands on that, I'm tempering Pittsburgh in comparison to Denver as I'm used to. So maybe compared to other places in the country Pittsburgh isn't as bad at all and I just don't know it..

Old 08-29-2009, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanswindle View Post
You just described precisely why I am leaving, I have a kid on the way and the idea of raising my kid surrounded by that scares the hell out of me.

I don't know where in Pittsburgh you were, maybe there's a down-to-earth area I haven't found, but I am amazed at how much I see 12 year olds trying to dress like they're going clubbing in stores just because they're taking after what all the women do around here.

I'm not saying anything about San Fran in comparison though, as I don't know where SF stands on that, I'm tempering Pittsburgh in comparison to Denver as I'm used to. So maybe compared to other places in the country Pittsburgh isn't as bad at all and I just don't know it..
I am not making this up: so far this weekend (counting yesterday), I've seen 3 Bentleys, 2 Ferraris and a Lamborghini. And it's only early Saturday afternoon. I never saw that in Pittsburgh unless I drove past a high-end dealership.

Old 08-29-2009, 03:07 PM

1,016 posts, read 1,938,397 times
Nice ride
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh