Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 01:50 PM

9 posts, read 24,857 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

i got the gig and now I'm moving to Pitt. I'm excited. Im wondering what to expect in terms of culture shock..for those of you who know both places, what kinds of cultural differences shoud I be ready for? We Californians have a bad rap in some places-how can I avoid embarrassing myself?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2009, 01:55 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,012,123 times
I've got lots of relatives in the Bay Area, and the biggest problem I encountered with them was the common assumption, explicit or implicit, that we were basically backwoods hicks (I grew up in the Detroit area, but I think the same lesson applies to Pittsburgh).

So, um, don't do that.

Otherwise, I think you will be fine.

Old 08-24-2009, 02:12 PM

Yeah, where I live we have a lousy state school and a bunch of dumb vineyards....Pittsburgh has three major universities, an incredible library system, and gave birth to Michael Chabon! (although he does live here now) Backwards? You gotta be kidding me! I can't wait to live among people who think there is more to life than knee jerk liberalism and weather.

Thanks for your input.

Old 08-24-2009, 02:44 PM

29,744 posts, read 34,376,832 times
A lot of people say that Pittsburgh is kind of a mini-SF, but I don't know that that's really the case. Any cultural differences you'll see are probably more West vs. East kind of things.

Old 08-24-2009, 03:09 PM

89 posts, read 218,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yakshikiz View Post
Pittsburgh has three major universities,
I'm sure that you're talking about Pitt and CMU - but which other university are you talking about? Pittsburgh has several other colleges/universities.

Anyway, I've also heard that Pittsburgh is a mini-SF, but as I've never been there, I don't know. Perhaps it won't be such a culture shock for you.

Old 08-24-2009, 03:31 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,672,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
A lot of people say that Pittsburgh is kind of a mini-SF, but I don't know that that's really the case. Any cultural differences you'll see are probably more West vs. East kind of things.
my mom grew up in sf, and she always goes on about how much pittsburgh reminds her of it (she doesn't live here). she's talking about the topography more than anything though, i think.

pittsburgh is definitely somewhat less cosmopolitan than sf, but it's a lot more cosmopolitan than people from bigger cities seem to think.

Old 08-24-2009, 03:49 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yakshikiz View Post
We Californians have a bad rap in some places-how can I avoid embarrassing myself?
The biggest problem people from all over the country have with Californians is their constant need to tell everyone how much better it is in California.

Needless to say, people would rather those people moved back to California!

Old 08-24-2009, 05:16 PM

3,463 posts, read 4,645,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
my mom grew up in sf, and she always goes on about how much pittsburgh reminds her of it (she doesn't live here). she's talking about the topography more than anything though, i think.

pittsburgh is definitely somewhat less cosmopolitan than sf, but it's a lot more cosmopolitan than people from bigger cities seem to think.
I'm a native San Franciscan who is planning to move to Pittsburgh in a few years. I visited there and it does remind me of SF in many ways:
  • topography - although Pittsburgh has way more trees. SF's wind isn't kind to outdoor foliage.
  • large stock of Victorian era housing, but at a much lower price.
  • blue collar roots - Believe it or not, SF was once a blue collar union town.
  • small, unique neighborhoods, each with their own distinct character.
  • great universities and hospitals
  • fairly decent arts and entertainment scene, although not as big as SF's, still not bad considering the image most people have of Pittsburgh.

All these are reasons I think Pittsburgh would be a good fit for me and why I think it has potential for growth.

Old 08-24-2009, 05:47 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,152,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshbarblahblah View Post
I'm sure that you're talking about Pitt and CMU - but which other university are you talking about? Pittsburgh has several other colleges/universities.

Anyway, I've also heard that Pittsburgh is a mini-SF, but as I've never been there, I don't know. Perhaps it won't be such a culture shock for you.
My school I'm thinking (Duquesne) it was just rated by the US News and World Report it's in the top tier colleges of the USA. While it may not be a research school, it's still a prestigious school. In some ways Pittsburgh is like SF. The way that Pittsburgh is nothing like SF is politically, a lot of people here are moderates and conservative and most of the true liberals are in a few neighborhoods.

Old 08-24-2009, 08:44 PM

I dislike SF style politics-constantly in your face and despite much vaunted "diversity' if you don't believe exactly what they do, you're the devil. I'm looking forward to not being screamed at for being somewhat (not extremely) conservative. A

I heard Duquesne was a top school for various health care professions, that was the third school I mentioned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh