Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 10:56 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,544,696 times

Advertisements

But the good paying blue collar jobs are gone. Now it's under educated kids working for 5 bucks an hour running the Slurpy machine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2009, 02:01 PM

1,014 posts, read 3,586,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
But the good paying blue collar jobs are gone. Now it's under educated kids working for 5 bucks an hour running the Slurpy machine.
That is true thanks to NAFTA and all the outsourcing. Taking our jobs and shipping them to places like China , India and Mexico has really hit the blue collar Joe communities very hard. That is more money in the wallets of the rich company owners and those fat cats IMHO are destroying the backbone of America.

Old 09-14-2009, 03:06 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
We don't need high paying manufacturing jobs to retain a significant blue collar population in an area like Millvale.

There are still many blue collar trades and small business owners for plumbing, electrical, landscaping, etc.

As a matter of fact, Pittsburgh's unions are desperate for apprentices. Used to be you couldn't get into the union, but now nobody wants to work hard for a living.

So there are blue collar opportunities in Pittsburgh and thriving blue collar neighbhorhoods.

Old 09-14-2009, 05:28 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,544,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
We don't need high paying manufacturing jobs to retain a significant blue collar population in an area like Millvale.
OK< so now Millvale will be very low blue collar. Are you trying to tell me that losing manufacturing jobs that paid very, very, well are adequately being replaced?

Show me some stats.

Old 09-14-2009, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
OK< so now Millvale will be very low blue collar. Are you trying to tell me that losing manufacturing jobs that paid very, very, well are adequately being replaced?
No. I'm telling you that Millvale wasn't changed by those losses.

Most high blue collar never lived in Millvale, not even in the 60s and 70s.

Throughout my entire life, Millvale has always been what Millvale is today.

Are you completely unaware that many steel workers lived in the suburbs along side educated professionals?

They made 60k to 80k depending on how much overtime they worked.

For the 70s, that was a fortune --- executive earnings range.

And that's why the steel industry in the United States collapsed.

For the record, many small business owners and people in the trades can make a good living today in Pittsburgh.

All of the union carptenters I know live in the suburbs.

Old 09-14-2009, 07:58 PM

I'm seeing red over this.

I wish the Allegheny County Real Estate website still allowed you to search by name. You could look up the houses of some small business owners as proof.

I know someone who owns a small landscaping business. He makes between 2500k to 350k+ depending on the year.

I was volunteering after a flood, a guy who lost his small window cleaning business. He made 100k cleaning windows. I saw his tax returns.

Alternately, you can judge a book by its cover in Southwestern PA.

I have a dear friend who lives in a very modest home, drives used cars, and has worked his life in a hourly food service job.

He has a portfolio worth over 4 million, and that's after he took a hit in the stock market.

But my MAIN POINT is that Millvale has been the same low blue collar workers for the 60 years---maybe longer but I haven't been alive to personally attest to that.

Are you not even from Pittsburgh your entire life? How could you not know these things about Pittsburghers?

Old 08-24-2010, 08:02 AM

45 posts, read 140,326 times
Since no one's come to Carnegie's defense, I figured I might as well. We bought a nice house in a nice neighborhood there (near Carnegie Park), and have found everyone to be friendly and the neighborhood to be safe. Carnegie Towers (the section 8 high rise) has its problems, but judging from the police blotter those problems almost always stay within the Towers. Carnegie has a cute main street and has one of the original Carnegie Libraries (complete with music hall and concerts). It's really convenient to everything (being on the Parkway, I-79, and the West Busway), is really close to the airport, Robinson, Mt. Lebanon, and Downtown (and really only 10-15 minutes away from Oakland). You're also 20 minutes away from Canonsburg or Cranberry. As for the person who said people ignored her when she asked them directions--there's a larger proportion of immigrants in Carnegie than one would think, many of whom don't speak English well. Of course I can't be sure that that's the case in this situation, but I've never seen anyone be treated like that in Carnegie. Carlynton's a very small school district, and it's average--neither Mt. Lebanon nor Wilkinsburg. The "ghetto" parts of Carnegie aren't actually in Carnegie--they're in East Carnegie (City of Pgh), Heidelberg and parts of Scott Twp--all in different school districts. Gotta say, I'm surprised in the whole Millvale vs Carnegie arguement that no one mentioned how awful Rt. 28 is...

Old 08-24-2010, 09:40 AM

408 posts, read 991,673 times
I just moved right between Millvale and Etna. There's definitely some trashy looking folks hanging around in Millvale, but overall I find it to be very charming. Pamelas, the french bakery, cool used music store, Yetters candies, the pharmacy, Mr Smalls, are all really neat and give it some character. Also, the Millvale Riverfront Park is great. A nice pavillion, you can put a kayak in, or ride a walk/ride a bike to downtown events. Etna might appear a little less trashy, but it doesn't have any of this stuff.

Like many Pittsburgh neighborhoods, a facade lift would do wonders.

Old 08-24-2010, 11:15 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,892,991 times
I don't know either neighborhood, but I know Millvale floods. I've seen the damage at a nice second-hand music store, and saw other stores that may not have opened again.

I knew a guy some people would consider "snooty" (he drives a Porsche and corrects you if you don't pronounce both syllables), and he just loves living in Carnegie.

That's all I know.

Old 08-24-2010, 03:43 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,035,351 times
Not all of Millvale floods -- just check to see if the house you are buying is in the flood zone or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh