Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2009, 05:22 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,699,549 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aveojohn View Post
If I was from Hamburg Germany, Would I be a Hamburger?
Yes, just as those who live in Hamburg NY are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2009, 05:24 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,699,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bethany12 View Post
There seems to be an over-inflated ego trip going on with people in the city who care about the "Pittsburgher" label. Hate to break it to you but most people outside of the county limits don't like Pittsburgh.
Good. Keep your backwoods Yinzer mindset out of the city.

Old 08-30-2009, 05:27 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,685,448 times
Quote:
You never tell people from other parts of the country that you are from Pittsburgh. It is like saying you are from Michigan instead of Detroit. Like I said earlier, Pittsburghers have an inflated ego, people outside of the city don't think much of it.
Like Tallysmom posted before me, I say I'm from "Pittsburgh", even though I grew up in Beaver Falls. One time, at my kids' school, I met a guy who said he was from Pittsburgh, too. Turned out he was from Aliquippa. We had a nice little chat about Beaver County. We're 1500 miles away, honey.

ETA: A few people, my age or older, have heard of Beaver Falls b/c of Joe Namth, but the younger ones, including the parents of my kids' friends, have usually only heard of Joe in passing and have no idea where he's from.

Old 08-30-2009, 06:53 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,643,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshbarblahblah View Post
That's silly. I've never had anyone say anything bad about Pittsburgh when I've been in other parts of the country. Occasionally I'll get a question about the Steelers...

I know Pittsburgh doesn't have a great reputation among some people (people who still consider Pittsburgh to be the smoky industrial town of the 50s, probably) but I don't see why you should say "I'm from south-western Pennsylvania."
Have to agree. What do you think people are going to do, bash Pittsburgh to your face right after you say you're from there? Often enough you'll find people with positive things to say about Pittsburgh. Sometimes it's just about how far you've come to be at whatever place you happen to be that moment. The idea that people you're interacting with will suddenly look down their nose at you when you say you're from Pittsburgh is indeed silly. Of course, if you're talking to someone from NY, LA or similar superior-minded places, they'll look down their nose at you no matter where you come from, if not from their own city. ;-)

Old 08-30-2009, 07:59 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,001,421 times
My wife and I both moved here (separately at the time) in 1993, and we still don't feel like real Pittsburghers. In fact, I'm not too sure about our son qualifying . . .

Old 08-30-2009, 08:03 PM

5,802 posts, read 9,889,775 times
I tell all my NY people, that I'm a proud 'Burgher......I dont have problem with People stating there a Pittsburgh'er as long as their from PA....OH and WV do not count as 'Burghers....

I had someone tell me that they were from Greater Pittsburgh, when I asked where they stated Stubenville OH....To me that's NOT METRO PITTSBURGH...You have to be over the PA line.

Old 08-30-2009, 08:16 PM

323 posts, read 834,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrpriester View Post
Good. Keep your backwoods Yinzer mindset out of the city.
Oh, that lovely Pittsburghese. The accent that is worse than New Jersey's. Luckily, the people around here don't have it.

Old 08-30-2009, 08:21 PM

323 posts, read 834,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Like Tallysmom posted before me, I say I'm from "Pittsburgh", even though I grew up in Beaver Falls. One time, at my kids' school, I met a guy who said he was from Pittsburgh, too. Turned out he was from Aliquippa. We had a nice little chat about Beaver County. We're 1500 miles away, honey.

ETA: A few people, my age or older, have heard of Beaver Falls b/c of Joe Namth, but the younger ones, including the parents of my kids' friends, have usually only heard of Joe in passing and have no idea where he's from.
Aliquippa and Beaver Falls. You don't have to say anymore. I would lie about living there too.

Old 08-30-2009, 08:24 PM

15,637 posts, read 26,239,886 times
Quote:
Aliquippa and Beaver Falls. You don't have to say anymore. I would lie about living there too.
Oh -- you edited yourself -- I caught the badly written nasty little wisecrack before you edited....

I'm glad you don't say you're from Pittsburgh -- I'd hate to think an uneducated piece of work like you is telling everyone you're from Pittsburgh.... we might look bad.

Old 08-30-2009, 09:19 PM

89 posts, read 218,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
I'm glad you don't say you're from Pittsburgh -- I'd hate to think an uneducated piece of work like you is telling everyone you're from Pittsburgh.... we might look bad.
Haha. That made me laugh a lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh