Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 07:36 PM

892 posts, read 2,392,712 times

Advertisements

My back is telling me that the era of Target, COSTCO, or IKEA desk chairs is at an end. I need something genuinely well made that won't bankrupt me. Is there anywhere around town that has especially good prices on such things (you now, real office furniture from Herman Miller, Steelcase, Humanscale, that sort of stuff) or by any chance, does anywhere in Pittsburgh sell used office furniture?

This is a long shot but...any fancy pants dot-com businesses go under recently, selling off their stuff?

I'm sore and needy, thanks in advance for any help (but please, no suggestions about yoga balls or chiropractors).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2009, 07:37 PM

So far, I've been recommended these two places which I plan to check out over the weekend...

Pittsburgh Used Office Furniture

Used Store Fixtures, Inc.

Old 09-10-2009, 07:41 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Mt. Lebanon Office Equipment, Co.
Mt. Lebanon Office Equipment and Furniture
1817 Banksville Road
Pittsburgh, PA 15216
(800) 524-7002

Old 09-10-2009, 07:44 PM

Do they have more used stuff than just what's on their web site? They only list one chair...

Mt. Lebanon Office Equipment: Office Furniture & Design

Old 09-10-2009, 07:50 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,546,779 times
Ditto, Mt. Lebanon office supply, they have a ton of used equipment.

Old 09-10-2009, 10:06 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,657,658 times
Office Mart is one more big one that has used. http://www.officemart-pittsburgh.com/

Franklin Interiors, which is a big Steelcase dealer, has sometimes run a warehouse sale of old and/or used, possibly stuff that was on display, etc. But I don't know when or if they still do this. Several years ago we got crazy deals on non-new but otherwise top shape Steelcase file cabinets for the office. They worked far better and were priced similarly to some other used pieces we had bought over the years. http://www.franklininteriors.com/

Old 09-10-2009, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by khyron View Post
Do they have more used stuff than just what's on their web site? They only list one chair...
Most places don't bother putting all of their used items on their websites. btw, they also has new products that were returned because the funiture didn't fit, etc.

Old 09-10-2009, 10:32 PM

Forgot to mention, check craig's list.

When companies replace their furniture, they give the old furniture away for free.

It's difficult to even find non-profit organizations that will take the furniture, and the used resale companies usually only buy from large offices, not smaller offices.

It costs companies a fortune to have furniture hauled away by moving companies to be dumped.

Old 09-11-2009, 12:58 PM

Okay, we went on an adventure today, including lots of getting lost since the bridge to McKee's Rocks is closed for construction (going west, it's open coming back east).

Here's some feedback...

Used Store Fixtures, Inc. is super easy to get to from Oakland and is AWESOME. They're pretty much just a giant warehouse of varying kinds of old used stuff, but the people there are super friendly (we spoke to a dude who's either the owner or the person who manages the building). If you're looking for someplace to pick up an old office chair that originally cost hundreds for the same $75 that a POS costs at Target, their top floor is nirvana. If by any means you need any other sort of used stuff, their other floors might be fun to browse too. Bring walking shoes and stair-climbing muscles.

Pittsburgh Used Office Furniture does not appear to exist. Someone feel free to correct me, but we drove the entire length of Graham St. and they were nowhere to be a found. An empty building with a REMAX lease sign on it exists where Google thinks their street address is though. Oops.

Mt. Lebanon Office Equipment and Furniture is also AWESOME. The people there are the friendliest and most straightforward I've ever met at a furniture store. They are pretty much the opposite of the Blvd. of the Allies place above. Far from a dusty warehouse, they're more of a fancy office store BUT they have plenty of lower priced stuff (almost all new though, very little used). I have no idea how they can afford to spend half an hour chatting you up and offering a free, delivered, in-home demo/lender for what amounts to a $200 or $300 sale, but whatever their business model we were crazy impressed by their attitude.

Old 09-11-2009, 02:05 PM

Glad you liked Mt. Lebanon Office Equipment & Furniture. I knew you wouldn't be disappointed. The customer service is top notch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh