U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-25-2009, 12:44 PM

7,360 posts, read 7,557,229 times

Advertisements

is anyone covering the people's march live? i guess it's not newsworthy since it's been peaceful so far.

and go phillies, take it to the politics board. if you read this thread, you'd see that there's been anything but silence on the subject of the protesters, from people all over the political spectrum. and so far we've managed to disagree civilly without the "you liberals"/"you conservatives" namecalling b.s.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2009, 12:44 PM

296 posts, read 439,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
from the p-g blog:

Some demonstrators want police to identify themselves

From Jon Silver
12:20 p.m.
Some in the crowd at Fifth and Craft want police officers to identify themselves. The officers have identification armbands, but they don't specify what agency or department the officer works for. "We have a right to know who we are oppressed by," said Bill Wolfe, 52, an environmental professional from Ringoes, N.J., has two children who are students at Carnegie Mellon University. "I pay my taxes, I have every right to know." He's there to advocate in favor of policies to reduce global warming. He's on a bike, and said that about 20 officers in riot gear came through the crowd and some were pushing and bumping people. "It ws very intimidating, very, kind of provocative. I didn't think there was any reason for it. Those are the kinds of things that precipitate violence." Lillian Thomas
I was just there. It was just this one guy, listed above. He ALONE started screaming at the cops to identify themselves. They told him to get on the sidewalk and they weren't giving him that information.

He went crazy on the bullhorn and flipped out on them.

Another(more sane) demonstrator got on the bullhorn and basically told the cops the opposite of what this Bill just told them. He told them why they were protesting, gave examples, spoke very intelligently. He didn't just scream into a bullhorn. And he told them that they were on the same side.

Now this Billl (after he had basically been made to look like a fool by a fellow demonstrator) reneged and said, "Yeah, we are brothers." Right!

Old 09-25-2009, 12:49 PM

thanks for the firsthand report!

now that i think about it, i heard somewhere or other that one of the protest monitors spoke to someone who was confronting the cops in oakland. maybe it's the same incident.

i'm equally nervous about the anarchists trying to start something and the police unnecessarily strongarming the protesters. it's hard to find live coverage, but it sounds like it's been so far so good. some of the same people who were involved in the rioting yesterday said to the media that they were not planning any disruptive actions, that they would respect the parameters tmc set up for the march. hopefully that's true across the board.

Old 09-25-2009, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
thanks for the firsthand report!

now that i think about it, i heard somewhere or other that one of the protest monitors spoke to someone who was confronting the cops in oakland. maybe it's the same incident.

i'm equally nervous about the anarchists trying to start something and the police unnecessarily strongarming the protesters. it's hard to find live coverage, but it sounds like it's been so far so good. some of the same people who were involved in the rioting yesterday said to the media that they were not planning any disruptive actions, that they would respect the parameters tmc set up for the march. hopefully that's true across the board.
It might have been him, but there was another young man that was confronted by 2 older women, telling him to put down the bullhorn (I didn't realize they might be protest monitors, but it makes sense).

Also, I heard this Bill has a blog. He filmed his screaming into the bullhorn, but he didn't film the reneging.

Old 09-25-2009, 12:54 PM

4,172 posts, read 5,261,201 times
It is not illegal to use a bullhorn during a protest.

Old 09-25-2009, 12:57 PM

no, but screaming aggressively at the cops through said bullhorn doesn't really achieve anything besides making the protesters look bad and possibly inciting violence from the cops.

see? it goes both ways.

Old 09-25-2009, 01:01 PM

It depends upon what kind of language the protester is using and the context in which it was stated. If he was not using threatening language then the police have no business cracking heads. The louder you can speak, the more people that can listen especially in that kind of noisy environment.

Old 09-25-2009, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
It depends upon what kind of language the protester is using and the context in which it was stated. If he was not using threatening language then the police have no business cracking heads. The louder you can speak, the more people that can listen especially in that kind of noisy environment.
The police cracked not one head. FYI.

Old 09-25-2009, 01:08 PM

^^^Some videos I've seen from the G20 show them going over board and attacking innocent bystanders.

Old 09-25-2009, 01:08 PM

2,043 posts, read 3,257,248 times
WPXI has some really good slide show pics, if anyone is interested:

Pittsburgh News, Weather, Traffic, Sports - WPXI
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh