U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 09-21-2009, 11:49 AM

9,867 posts, read 7,734,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
There is no way anyone can deny that the G-20 was first scheduled for NYC.
I'm not denying that. I'm denying that NYC refused it. I still don't see where they refused it.

There's a big difference between a change of venue because of logistics and/or politics and a refusal to host. This distinction appears to be lost on the folks who keep spreading this crap.

The link won't link directly to the story, another problem with the Trib site (see also the newspaper thread). I tried it again and still got a bad link. I actually dug through the Trib web site (ugh) and read it to be sure. As always, it says nothing of New York refusing to host the summit.

The WSJ note is likely a significant part of the process. That kind of walking on eggshells political stuff is (unfortunately, IMO) important when you're dealing with a bunch of different countries and their leaders.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 09-21-2009, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
wednesday? where'd you heard that?

i've become the token protest-tracker for my office (since i know people who will be protesting) but i hadn't heard anything about big protests downtown on wednesday. i'm not doubting you, i'd just like to know where you got your information from so i know whether to tell my coworkers that we have to take wednesday off too!
I can't find anything significant for Wednesday either. I thought at one time there was supposed to be a rally at the Point on Wednesday, though? I can't find it now. Or some event spearheaded by Jim Ferlo, but I can't see clear evidence of that either. Maybe they were one in the same.

Wednesday could have some mess with security setup, though. We've seen that they're starting on something on Stanwix around 3pm. Might not be a bad idea to check out early. We are currently still working that day.

Unread 09-21-2009, 12:15 PM

7,341 posts, read 5,958,729 times
yeah, i'm definitely going to recommend leaving early on wednesday.

Unread 09-21-2009, 02:48 PM

2,197 posts, read 3,661,694 times
Ya, it's going to be a busy day..... Not to mention, I'm sure some unsanctioned and un-permitted stuff will be going on.

Pittsburgh G-20 Schedule of Events - Infoshop News

WEDNESDAY, Sept 23
9:00am International Peace, Justice & Empowerment summit Hosanna House, 807 Wallace Ave
9:00am Human Rights, Global Justice, and the G-20 USW HQ, Stanwix & Blvd. of the Allies
12:00am, Poets on the loose, Reading for Free Speech Rights, Commonwealth Place at the entrance of Point State Park
12:30-2:30pm 'Peoples Voices' Forum with 4 Global South Finance ministers, 4215 Fifth Ave in Oakland
3:30-6:00pm 'Peoples Voices' Panel with "experts" talking about how the G-20 affect communities. Monumental Baptist Church, 2240 Wylie Ave
4:00-6:30pm Health and Safety For Activists, Convergence Center, 4374 Murray Ave
5:30-7:30pm Screening of "Terrorizing Dissent", U. of Pitt, 3990 Forbes Ave. Room 111
6:00pm Rally and Concert For Clean Energy Jobs, by United Steel Workers, Al Gore, and others.
7:00pm G20 Resistance Spokescouncil to Discuss Thursday and Friday Actions: The spokescouncil is a place for affinity groups to share decisions that they have made and identify things that they need to do and decisions that they need to make. If you are planning on attending, PLEASE READ this page: Sept 23: PGRP's Wednesday Spokescouncil Information | Pittsburgh G20 Resistance Project (http://resistg20.org/wednesday - broken link) on the spokescouncil format.
8:00pm Merton Center Film Showing of I.O.U.S.A., 4130 Butler Street
?pm Radical Caroling Organized by Students, after the Spokescouncil.

There will be stuff going on at the point pretty much all day, Al Gore and Fast Eddie are supposed to be there.

Unread 09-21-2009, 03:20 PM

37,859 posts, read 39,239,593 times
This is madness. I think we need to be closed on Wednesday.

Unread 09-21-2009, 04:16 PM

2,197 posts, read 3,661,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
This is madness. I think we need to be closed on Wednesday.
Not all of those on that list are marches, which I'm sure you're aware of, about 1/3 to a 1/2 are forums/townhall meetings.

Unread 09-21-2009, 05:41 PM

37,859 posts, read 39,239,593 times
Come on! I just don't want to go to work!

Unread 09-21-2009, 06:41 PM

List of demonstration permits FWIW http://www.g20safety.com/demonstration_permits.htm

Unread 09-21-2009, 08:45 PM

7,341 posts, read 5,958,729 times
most of the things on wednesday aren't marches and almost none of them are downtown, except the poetry reading and maybe that one at 6?

it's true that there could easily be something unsanctioned though. back in ye olde days when people protested the wto & world bank meetings, there were usually significant marches a day or so before the meetings started. i need to call my anarchist friends.

Unread 09-21-2009, 08:58 PM

14 posts, read 14,166 times
no help here. I dont understand why parkway center mall is closed but not foster plaza. i cld use a 4 day vaca.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh