Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 10:31 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dugdogmaster View Post
Some people even attempt to grow it outdoors right under the noses of people in urban/backyard gardens.
Like this 71 year old women who was growing it in her yard in Greensboro in 2007:

Woman, 71, arrested after growing pot in her yard : News-Record.com : Greensboro & the Triad's most trusted source for local news and analysis
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2009, 10:36 PM

2,193 posts, read 5,803,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Hahaha, yes, just like that 71 year old woman.

Old 09-20-2009, 11:32 PM

3,131 posts, read 9,375,591 times
It grows fine here and looks real good except the potency is nil. You can plant Panama Red or Columbian Gold seeds and all you'll get is northern green weeds. If you ever watch Cops when they make a bust where someone is growing the plants inside you see flowers and pods all over them just oozing. When they make an outdoors bust the plants are sparse in comparison. You need the right climate or the proper lighting.

Old 09-21-2009, 04:36 AM

2,458 posts, read 4,204,019 times
Quote:
You can grow it here, but you can grow it lots of other places too, so unless for some reason growing it here is legal but not most other places, I don't see how this becomes an economic advantage for the region.
Plus it's seasonal. A meth lab, for instance, could run year round.

Although, I guess agriculture is a little more labor-intensive, so it would provide more jobs, in season.

This needs a little more thought...

Old 09-21-2009, 05:39 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterRabbit View Post
If you ever watch Cops when they make a bust where someone is growing the plants inside you see flowers and pods all over them just oozing. When they make an outdoors bust the plants are sparse in comparison. You need the right climate or the proper lighting.
There's a lot more to growing plants of any kind (vegetables, perennials, flowers, etc.) than climate and lighting --- like soil preparation, site selection for drainage, air circulation, fertizing, etc. I know a lot about gardening in general. Flowering plants (annuals, biannuals, perennials) are my passion. On almost any flowering plants, buds are increased by pinching back. Plants get bushier and start new shoots for more bluds.

I'm sure most plants you've seen grown outside weren't babied like indoor plants. I'll bet people who grow marijuana inside are obcessive compulsive about their plaints. People growing outside are more concerned with getting caught. Their soil preparation will be minimal because it would be expensive to put the right nutrients into soil in an outdoor area. Their site selection would be based more on just trying to avoid getting caught and less concerned with the best location for the plants. Water would be a huge problem. I doubt many people would install an irrigation system and it's unlikely they'll haul the water on their backs daily.

When the DEA finds a plant crop in California's national forests, they find miles and miles of irrigation systems, tents and other evidence of long-term camping. Those people are living with their plants, not just for security, but to baby the plants. Not many people in Southwestern PA would be so committed to their occassional plants except perhaps farmers. Then even farmers might only be attentive enough to grow something acceptable. Afterall, they're growing in bulk for money not love.

Old 09-21-2009, 11:14 AM

15,639 posts, read 26,259,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
There's a lot more to growing plants of any kind (vegetables, perennials, flowers, etc.) than climate and lighting --- like soil preparation, site selection for drainage, air circulation, fertizing, etc. I know a lot about gardening in general. Flowering plants (annuals, biannuals, perennials) are my passion. On almost any flowering plants, buds are increased by pinching back. Plants get bushier and start new shoots for more bluds.

I'm sure most plants you've seen grown outside weren't babied like indoor plants. I'll bet people who grow marijuana inside are obcessive compulsive about their plaints. People growing outside are more concerned with getting caught. Their soil preparation will be minimal because it would be expensive to put the right nutrients into soil in an outdoor area. Their site selection would be based more on just trying to avoid getting caught and less concerned with the best location for the plants. Water would be a huge problem. I doubt many people would install an irrigation system and it's unlikely they'll haul the water on their backs daily.

When the DEA finds a plant crop in California's national forests, they find miles and miles of irrigation systems, tents and other evidence of long-term camping. Those people are living with their plants, not just for security, but to baby the plants. Not many people in Southwestern PA would be so committed to their occassional plants except perhaps farmers. Then even farmers might only be attentive enough to grow something acceptable. Afterall, they're growing in bulk for money not love.
You are correct! We had four beautiful plants at my mom's in Cranberry for personal use, until my mother in law ratted us out to my mom, and mom harvested them.... not knowing that pulling them out of the ground didn't exactly ruin them.

You did have to tend these little buggers.

Old 09-21-2009, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
You are correct! We had four beautiful plants at my mom's in Cranberry for personal use, until my mother in law ratted us out to my mom, and mom harvested them.... not knowing that pulling them out of the ground didn't exactly ruin them.

You did have to tend these little buggers.
Ha, I never would have guessed!

Old 09-21-2009, 02:38 PM

1,519 posts, read 2,675,395 times
Wasn't Hempfield Township named after the fact that there used to be hemp fields in the area? Back when it was grown as a fiber for rope, textiles, etc. before it was outlawed 'cause oh-my-gosh-they're-gonna-smoke-the-stuff?

Old 09-21-2009, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinare View Post
Wasn't Hempfield Township named after the fact that there used to be hemp fields in the area? Back when it was grown as a fiber for rope, textiles, etc. before it was outlawed 'cause oh-my-gosh-they're-gonna-smoke-the-stuff?
I'm not sure why it was named, there's also a Hempfield Twp near Greenville, PA as well. But, it's still legal to make and buy hemp related products. I have a few myself, including a camelpack, twine and I just bought my girlfriend a hemp laptop computer carrier.

Old 09-21-2009, 03:01 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,546,779 times
I remember back in college using grow lights indoors, worked pretty well. One buddy of mine had a Mustang and a few seeds fell through the gear shift, about 1 month later a plant popped out. Ya can't make that up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh