U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-24-2009, 11:23 AM

20,274 posts, read 18,901,765 times

Advertisements

Of course the central city population doesn't really mean anything as far as the size of the market for concerts. I'd suggest looking at urbanized area populations (the Census-defined urbanized areas basically capture the central city and suburbs), and by that measure Pittsburgh and Cleveland are virtually the same size (in 2000 it was 1,786,647 for Cleveland's urbanized area, 1,753,136 for Pittsburgh's).

Old 09-24-2009, 11:27 AM

2,794 posts, read 3,512,257 times
I was just recently in Cleveland and Pittsburgh on business. Sorry, but when the hell are people going to shed the images of these cities?

Cleveland:
I had an amazing time there. Spent two weeks in both cities, so I got to see a lot. Going down by the lakefront and going on through Voinovich Park and take in the views of North Coast Harbor the skyline and Lake Erie. Checking out the Warehouse District and all the amazing restaurants and warehouses that have been converted into condos/apartments. Playhouse Square which is the second largest performing arts district in the country after Broadway, or going out to Edgewater Park and standing on the beach and being able to see the skyline. Going up to University Circle and seeing the world reknowed Cleveland Art Museum and Severance Hall home to one of the best orchestras in the world. Not to mention all the construction cranes everywhere with all the new building. The amazing architecture of both new and old. I also really enjoyed all the city neighborhoods like Little Italy, Tremont, Slavic Village, Ohio City, Uptown, and Coventry. And check out East 4th Street Downtown!

Pittsburgh:
Who doesn't love the view coming through the Fort Pitt tunnels and the skyline just hitting you as soon as you leave the tunnel? The great riverfront stadiums. Walking down and checking out Point State Park with the huge fountains, and looking back at the skyline. The landscape around Pittsburgh is enought to rival that of cities out west. The great universities that the city is home to. Pittsburgh as well is home to some awesome city neighborhoods where tradition and culture have blended together. All the bridges in the city crossing the two rivers is a sight to be seen. Pittsburgh, just like Cleveland, has an awesome mix of new and old in its skyline.

I am so tired of people having negative images of both Pittsburgh and Cleveland. These cities have done plenty in trying to change their images, let alone their economies. Home to the booming Cleveland Clinic, and Pittsburgh's UPMC. They have went from steel making cities to booming medical centers where people from all around the world come to work and get taken care of. Cities that are on the forefront of technology, health care, and becoming "green cities." Both have multi-billion dollar projects in the works. Both have already been voted most livable in the U.S. in the past few years, Pittsburgh ranking very high recently, and Cleveland was 26th on a global level.

People come to these cities today and leave with a new image. Its time for the overall image of these cities to change. These cities are two of the most underrated in the nation.

Sorry, I had to vent...

Old 09-24-2009, 12:15 PM

367 posts, read 566,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beavercreek33 View Post
I was just recently in Cleveland and Pittsburgh on business. Sorry, but when the hell are people going to shed the images of these cities?

Cleveland:
I had an amazing time there. Spent two weeks in both cities, so I got to see a lot. Going down by the lakefront and going on through Voinovich Park and take in the views of North Coast Harbor the skyline and Lake Erie. Checking out the Warehouse District and all the amazing restaurants and warehouses that have been converted into condos/apartments. Playhouse Square which is the second largest performing arts district in the country after Broadway, or going out to Edgewater Park and standing on the beach and being able to see the skyline. Going up to University Circle and seeing the world reknowed Cleveland Art Museum and Severance Hall home to one of the best orchestras in the world. Not to mention all the construction cranes everywhere with all the new building. The amazing architecture of both new and old. I also really enjoyed all the city neighborhoods like Little Italy, Tremont, Slavic Village, Ohio City, Uptown, and Coventry. And check out East 4th Street Downtown!

Pittsburgh:
Who doesn't love the view coming through the Fort Pitt tunnels and the skyline just hitting you as soon as you leave the tunnel? The great riverfront stadiums. Walking down and checking out Point State Park with the huge fountains, and looking back at the skyline. The landscape around Pittsburgh is enought to rival that of cities out west. The great universities that the city is home to. Pittsburgh as well is home to some awesome city neighborhoods where tradition and culture have blended together. All the bridges in the city crossing the two rivers is a sight to be seen. Pittsburgh, just like Cleveland, has an awesome mix of new and old in its skyline.

I am so tired of people having negative images of both Pittsburgh and Cleveland. These cities have done plenty in trying to change their images, let alone their economies. Home to the booming Cleveland Clinic, and Pittsburgh's UPMC. They have went from steel making cities to booming medical centers where people from all around the world come to work and get taken care of. Cities that are on the forefront of technology, health care, and becoming "green cities." Both have multi-billion dollar projects in the works. Both have already been voted most livable in the U.S. in the past few years, Pittsburgh ranking very high recently, and Cleveland was 26th on a global level.

People come to these cities today and leave with a new image. Its time for the overall image of these cities to change. These cities are two of the most underrated in the nation.

Sorry, I had to vent...
You are exactly right regarding both Pittsburgh & Cleveland. Some folks will stereotype anyplace, when they have never even been there. Others opinions will ALWAYS be negative. These types will not be happy anywhere. Pittsburgh has SO much positive going for it and you don't have to look hard to find it. The THREE RIVERS are a blessing to many. The list goes on. There is NO perfect place to live, there is always going to be give-and-take. It's up to the individual to focus on the good or the bad. Thanks for a POSITIVE and real world post.

Old 09-24-2009, 12:46 PM

7,617 posts, read 10,661,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beavercreek33 View Post

Cleveland:

Pittsburgh:

Sorry, I had to vent...
You are correct, and feel free to vent -- and maybe I'm reading something into the OP's post that wasn't there because I went through it -- but I'm afraid he's depressed.

There's nothing good about Pittsburgh, because there's nothing good about his life.

I had to get over what I was feeling out here because it's totally non-productive, in fact -- damaging.

But I didn't have true depression, because you can't decide one day this is stupid and I have to get over it when you have depression. Which is essentially what I did -- but I was truly heartbroken at leaving my family and all I had known.

My husband had true depression several years later -- which is why I'm afraid for the OP.

No matter where you live there is some sort of bright spot somewhere... or else you'd leave, no matter the cost.

Also -- I'm not saying if you don't like Pittsburgh, you need to see a shrink. There's plenty of reasons to not like Pittsburgh. The same goes for any city or metro area -- not everyone loves every place.

Old 09-24-2009, 01:40 PM

39 posts, read 51,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuwaver88 View Post
I do too. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. But the OP listed several things with venom and over looks anything positive. The only positives the OP lists are followed by some statement about not as good as "other" cities, or something along those lines. So, Pittsburgh's positives should be swept under the rug. In the meantime, the negatives should be front and center during any conversation. So, remember, if you say anything positive about Pittsburgh's great universites, for example, you should be reminded that Boston's are better. If you come back with Boston's cost of living being high, you will be reminded that cost of living is less in Buffalo, plus they have Lake Erie. If you come back with Pittsburgh being more mild in the winter and less snow, you will be reminded that Atlanta has less snow and a younger demographic. If you mention something about Pittsburgh's great neighborhoods, they are not so great after all. Culture? Phiily and New York is better. Dining? Lousy, because I am so very trendy, same as nightlife. This is how the drill works .
Don't think you got me figured out. When I was in Boston, I was not complaining of all those things you mentioned above, which undisputedly is in greater concentration and availability in New York. The same goes for when I was in Philly. You guys think I hate myself, I'm depressed, I'm a complainer, etc., but that is your explanation of someone who dislikes the city your grew up in. Do you think a New Yorker or Bostonian would have to waste this much time and energy to defend their city and what its about? It is self evident these are great cities. I've been here two years, and experienced more narrow-mindedness and profiling than I could have every imagined in a city that claims to be a leader in anything. Not claiming everyone to is a racist, but a few experiences is all it takes to leave a bitter taste.

Another thing is, so what if I search for the best possible city for me. I will continue to critique my surroundings until I find what is most comfortable for me. I will not settle, I will not be a Pittsburgher.

Also, I never claimed there aren't things to do here; there are, and like many posters have pointed out, you have to search for them, because they are not obvious. What is obvious is what I mentioned: the steelers, penguins, mullets and perogies, and that is what a newcomer to this town should be aware of, what will be in there face MAJORITY of the time.

So you guys can dilute my facts with your diagnoses of depression, etc. but don't fool a potential resident into thinking Pittsburgh is something it's not.

Old 09-24-2009, 02:10 PM

2,424 posts, read 899,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Steeler View Post
Don't think you got me figured out. When I was in Boston, I was not complaining of all those things you mentioned above, which undisputedly is in greater concentration and availability in New York. The same goes for when I was in Philly. You guys think I hate myself, I'm depressed, I'm a complainer, etc., but that is your explanation of someone who dislikes the city your grew up in. Do you think a New Yorker or Bostonian would have to waste this much time and energy to defend their city and what its about? It is self evident these are great cities. I've been here two years, and experienced more narrow-mindedness and profiling than I could have every imagined in a city that claims to be a leader in anything. Not claiming everyone to is a racist, but a few experiences is all it takes to leave a bitter taste.

Another thing is, so what if I search for the best possible city for me. I will continue to critique my surroundings until I find what is most comfortable for me. I will not settle, I will not be a Pittsburgher.

Also, I never claimed there aren't things to do here; there are, and like many posters have pointed out, you have to search for them, because they are not obvious. What is obvious is what I mentioned: the steelers, penguins, mullets and perogies, and that is what a newcomer to this town should be aware of, what will be in there face MAJORITY of the time.

So you guys can dilute my facts with your diagnoses of depression, etc. but don't fool a potential resident into thinking Pittsburgh is something it's not.
You have not made one statement as to what it is you're looking for!

Old 09-24-2009, 03:00 PM

20,274 posts, read 18,901,765 times
Quote:
but that is your explanation of someone who dislikes the city your grew up in.
This fact seems to be falling on deaf ears, but many of us did not in fact grow up in Pittsburgh.

Old 09-24-2009, 03:07 PM

4,262 posts, read 4,122,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Steeler View Post

You are making empty complaints. Why don't you tell us what you don't like? If you won't be a Pittsburgher, fine. Don't whine and leave.

Old 09-24-2009, 03:09 PM

3,022 posts, read 2,921,097 times
I would like to chime in here.. The City of Pittsburgh did not become one of the most livable by accident. No, it's not for everyone but she surely is good enough for the many who call it home, not to mention those who had to leave for career reasons. Personally Pittsburgh is one of the only "Cities" I would live in. Each city neighborhood has it's own identity, personality. Pittsburgh is unique in many ways, good ways. One of the City's best assets is it's People and is one of the driving forces behind it's personality. Is Pittsburgh for everyone? Hardly. Its a small big city that is not geograpically near any other big cities, it's kind of self contained in it's own unique atmosphere. The people are warm and friendly for the most part and the city is welcoming. It's a great place to live in and a great place to be from, it just isn't for everyone.

Old 09-24-2009, 03:17 PM

213 posts, read 407,242 times
Wow, you never get out of your apartment/room/ if you think that all Pittsburgh's about is mullets, sports, and certain Polish foods. Yes, sports, including the Pens, are big in Pittsburgh. As for the food, have you actually tasted a pierogi, or have you totally dismissed them before having tried it?

You state in one of your posts that you visited this forum before you moved here. Was that the total extent of your research?? If so, you have no one to blame but yourself if you had no idea what Pittsburgh is about.

I am a Pittsburgher living in CA. You seem to think that obesity happens only in Pittsburgh. Let me tell you something-I've seen as many overweight people here in sunny hot, "health-food conscious" southern CA that I did in PA. As for the mullets....well, in all my years in Pittsburgh, I maybe saw a few, but you seem to see them everywhere!! Are you hanging out at Mullets-R-Us?

Why are you staying in a place you hate so much? Don't you know that life is too short for that? Or are you too young to realize that? You said you are under contract to stay in Pittsburgh. I have not seen a contract yet that can't be re-negotiated. If you are still there 6 months from now, that means you don't want to leave. Being happy, as Lincoln said, is a conscious decision. You are unhappy because you want to be. Don't blame a whole city for your misery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh