U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 05:28 PM

39 posts, read 51,150 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
You brought up employment rates at first (claiming you had no facts) not me. I am just supplying you with some of those facts.

You also stubbornly refuse to reply to any of the posts about things to do in Pittsburgh. Have you read through the events calendar I posted? Googled the neighborhoods I mentioned? You are ignoring any post that shows evidence against what you think...
I did not bring up the unemployment rate, someone else did in order to balance my negative comments about Pittsburgh to which I replied in QUESTION format that as a result of the steel industry collapsing, hasn't Pittsburgh been in the gutter.

Next, I also never said there was nothing to do here, that is why I keep ignoring your facts. Read my original post, where does it say that there aren't things to do. But since you bring it up, I will leave you with two experiences about things to do.

1) I decide to check out the new wine bar in South Side on a Friday night - completely dead. We decide to cross the street and check out the new german brew house and there certainly wasn't a shortage of chicks large and in charge drinking beer with two hands

2) U2 came to Pittsburgh once in 97 and NEVER again. Radiohead has never come to Pittsburgh. Both have played in Ohio. I've had to pay for travel to see the two biggest bands in the world that play in all corners of the world, except Pittsburgh

But Kenny Chesney, whatever his name is, is a superstar celebrity here. So eat your perogies and rock on to Chesney, its just not my cup of tea. I'm done with this. It's obvious who frequents this site.

Old 09-22-2009, 05:39 PM

2,197 posts, read 3,920,510 times
I saw U2 in 97, good show. Have you checked out any of the shows at Post Gazette Pavilion? Pittsburgh is a city of 300K, Cleveland is a city of over 1M, that's why they get the more frequent appearances of bigger named acts. Are you into NIN? I wish Radiohead would come here too, but it doesn't get me down.

Old 09-22-2009, 05:39 PM

5 posts, read 5,187 times
What a weird place to rant like this. I don't even live there (yet), but it's obvious Pittsburgh is not for you!

You might want to try a larger, trendier city like NYC, Seattle, SF, or LA. You can wine, dine, and listen to major acts in those cities much more easily AFAIK.

BTW- a dead wine bar with a lively new brew pub across the street sounds fine to this NW native!

Old 09-22-2009, 05:47 PM

39 posts, read 51,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dugdogmaster View Post
I saw U2 in 97, good show. Have you checked out any of the shows at Post Gazette Pavilion? Pittsburgh is a city of 300K, Cleveland is a city of over 1M, that's why they get the more frequent appearances of bigger named acts. Are you into NIN? I wish Radiohead would come here too, but it doesn't get me down.
No offense to a fellow fan, but U2 are playing in Norman OK!!! A third of the population of Pitt.

I do like NIN, do they come here?

Old 09-22-2009, 05:54 PM

13,096 posts, read 10,597,530 times
It's obvious that you're determined not to make the best of your situation and to find fault in every little thing. Too bad for you. Pittsburgh isn't the only city where fat people eat nachos in public.

Quote:
U2 came to Pittsburgh once in 97 and NEVER again.
I saw them at Mellon Arena in 2001, and they were here in 2005.

Last edited by fleetiebelle; 09-22-2009 at 06:08 PM..

Old 09-22-2009, 05:55 PM

2,197 posts, read 3,920,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Steeler View Post
No offense to a fellow fan, but U2 are playing in Norman OK!!! A third of the population of Pitt.

I do like NIN, do they come here?
Yes, NIN comes to Pittsburgh every other year, at the least, sometimes every year for a few years, then back to every other. Trent Reznor is originally from Mercer, PA, not far from Pittsburgh, near where I live. They usually play at Post Gazette Pavilion when they're here.

Norman, OK, ftw!

Old 09-22-2009, 06:03 PM

69,637 posts, read 59,609,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
First a few factual matters:

(1) Prior to the recession, Pittsburgh had been adding jobs in business and professional services, health, education, high tech manufacturing, and leisure and hospitality.

(2) The population dynamics in the region have primarily been driven by the sharp industrial contraction, mostly in steel, roughly in the 1980s. That drove out a large cohort of young adults who couldn't find work, and in turn that meant they weren't having their children here in later years. Meanwhile, many of their parents and grandparents stayed, and they have since been dying or migrating to retirement areas, again without their grandchildren being born to replace them. However, these dynamics are solely dampening out, and Pittsburgh is likely going to be gaining population soon, if it isn't already, primarily through new young adults migrating to the region and having children.

We also get relatively few international immigrants, which in turn has made these birth/death and migration effects more apparent. That said, the international immigrants we do get average pretty high in terms of things like education, so I would like to see that part of the trend continue.

<snip>
I agree with #1 and the first part of #2, but I'm not sure about the conclusion in paragraph #2. Here is an article that was also in my daily paper today. It seems that people aren't really moving much of anywhere these days.

Census: Recession had sweeping impact on US life - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090922/ap_on_re_us/us_census_recession_s_impact - broken link)

A broad survey of Americans has provided striking measures of the recession's effect on life at home and at work: People are now stuck in traffic longer, less apt to move away and more inclined to put off marriage and buying a house.

Old 09-22-2009, 06:21 PM

20,274 posts, read 18,596,813 times
Quote:
It's obvious who frequents this site.
Yep--lots of people who didn't grow up in Pittsburgh, and happily chose to live here.

Old 09-22-2009, 06:32 PM

1,814 posts, read 1,330,826 times
Shame you're so unhappy living there. Hope you find another home that's more to your liking soon.

I grew up just north of Pittsburgh. Lived there 30 years before moving on. It was a great place to grow up. Loved the hills and rivers. Used to go fishing all the time. Went to the Carnegie Musuem, the Buhl Planetarium, Pirate games at Forbes and Steelers games at Forbes and Pitt stadium. Would take the bus downtown to see movies and go shopping with my Mom at Gimble's, Kaufmann's and Horne's.

I will say that as I got older, I did think the night life scene was somewhat lacking, but I still had fun. Remember going to the Decade a lot. Used to go to the Oakland area a lot on weekends.

I've lived in Philly, Wilmington, Chicago burbs, Poughkeepsie and now the Bay area. My least favorite was Philadelphia and San Jose is now my home. But, I would rank Pittsburgh as my second favorite home. And although I'm settled now, if I were transferred there, I'd be glad to go back.

I've gone back several times with a group of friends and all of them were surprised at how nice it was and how much fun we had.

I guess I'm somewhat surprised that you dislike the city so much.

So, like I said, sorry you don't like it, better luck with your future move!

And... Go Steelers, Pens and Beat 'em Bucs!!!

Old 09-22-2009, 06:45 PM

367 posts, read 559,759 times
Quote:
Forget my opinions for now; I've seemed to upset some burghers; and lets focus on the facts. Isn't that what this forum is about? For potential residents to gain insight before making the plunge.

Please tell me why, if they had the choice, a person would decide to choose to live in Pittsburgh over any other city.
You are NOT quoting facts, you are giving YOUR opinion..........period. I don't think you would be happy anywhere. See ya.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh