Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 04:23 PM

4,275 posts, read 7,627,786 times

Advertisements

A friend of mine who lives in Fineview says they are putting a Crazy Mocha ion the North Side (somewhere near the Garden, I think.) Anything else happening up there, especially with the Garden.

I keep saying, they need to make the Garden a midsize concert venue.

I have some stats from www.cinematreasures.org

Garden (990 seats)
Palace in Greensburg (1320 seats) (Elko Concerts holds concerts there)
State Theater in State College (571 seats) (Drusky Entertainment holds concerts here)

Drusky has been successful with the Amp at Station Square. If the Garden ever gets fixed up, why not have Drusky move his State Collge Shows to the Garden? Many shows are going there (Robin Trower, Third Eye Blind which is sold out, Gallactic, Pete Yorn, Johnny Lang, Echo and the Bunnymen, Judy Collins, David Sanborn to name a few.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2009, 08:05 PM

1,758 posts, read 4,228,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raubre View Post
A friend of mine who lives in Fineview says they are putting a Crazy Mocha ion the North Side (somewhere near the Garden, I think.) Anything else happening up there, especially with the Garden.

I keep saying, they need to make the Garden a midsize concert venue.

I have some stats from www.cinematreasures.org

Garden (990 seats)
Palace in Greensburg (1320 seats) (Elko Concerts holds concerts there)
State Theater in State College (571 seats) (Drusky Entertainment holds concerts here)

Drusky has been successful with the Amp at Station Square. If the Garden ever gets fixed up, why not have Drusky move his State Collge Shows to the Garden? Many shows are going there (Robin Trower, Third Eye Blind which is sold out, Gallactic, Pete Yorn, Johnny Lang, Echo and the Bunnymen, Judy Collins, David Sanborn to name a few.)
That's a great idea. Pittsburgh need a venue like this. This area may someday see a renewal. The city has been eyeing up the Fed North area for years now. The Garden has been a focal point in the renewal talks. Allegheny General has built some offices and a parking garage, but the rest of the area has a tired look. I think this area along with the East Ohio Street business district will make for a great North Side, It starts with respectable businesses like Crazy Mocha and Rita's moving in. I hope some of those nuisance bars on East Ohio go into new owners hands and attract a new clientele, maybe from the nearby War Streets and others.

Old 09-24-2009, 08:28 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
I really hope they clean up the Federal Street area. The first time I discovered AGH had built the medical office building was when I went for a doctor's appointment at AGH. There was a note on the door saying they moved to Federal Street. Since I had taken a taxi over from town at lunchtime, I had to walk.

I felt comfortable walking since I knew there was a police station on the street. When I turned the corner onto Federal Street, I was terribly disappointed to discover that there was NO POLICE STATION. The medical building was built where the police station had been!

I couldn't believe people tried to intimidate me while I walked up the hill. They didn't do that in the 80s when the unemployment office was located there. Now I drive into town on days I have an appointment, and I pay an additional $15 to re-park my car afterwards downtown. I've noticed that many of the established patients don't go there anymore, but I love my doctor too much to give him up.

Old 09-24-2009, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuwaver88 View Post
I hope some of those nuisance bars on East Ohio go into new owners hands and attract a new clientele, maybe from the nearby War Streets and others.
Where do the people who hang out on Federal Street live? It's like a mini ghetto island between AGH and Mexican War Streets.

Old 09-25-2009, 06:07 AM

2,420 posts, read 4,710,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I really hope they clean up the Federal Street area. The first time I discovered AGH had built the medical office building was when I went for a doctor's appointment at AGH. There was a note on the door saying they moved to Federal Street. Since I had taken a taxi over from town at lunchtime, I had to walk.

I felt comfortable walking since I knew there was a police station on the street. When I turned the corner onto Federal Street, I was terribly disappointed to discover that there was NO POLICE STATION. The medical building was built where the police station had been!

I couldn't believe people tried to intimidate me while I walked up the hill. They didn't do that in the 80s when the unemployment office was located there. Now I drive into town on days I have an appointment, and I pay an additional $15 to re-park my car afterwards downtown. I've noticed that many of the established patients don't go there anymore, but I love my doctor too much to give him up.
I went to that building for physical therapy for months. I parked my car a couple blocks away in Mexican War Streets, walked over to Federal and down to the medical building. Never had a problem.

Old 09-25-2009, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creepsinc View Post
I went to that building for physical therapy for months. I parked my car a couple blocks away in Mexican War Streets, walked over to Federal and down to the medical building. Never had a problem.
Maybe because you were walking down the hill, not up it where most people congregate.

Maybe your appointments were at a different time of day.

Maybe you're not an attractive blonde.

Who knows.

Could be any reason we had different experiences.

Old 09-25-2009, 06:11 AM

2,193 posts, read 5,801,316 times
Aren't they revamping Federal St? I thought there were some new developments going on there....

Old 09-25-2009, 06:13 AM

I was there two weeks ago. I didn't see any construction.

Old 09-25-2009, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Maybe because you were walking down the hill, not up it where most people congregate.

Maybe your appointments were at a different time of day.

Maybe you're not an attractive thin blonde.

Who knows.

Could be any reason we had different experiences.
True, there are many many reasons we could have had different subjective experiences. Maybe the condos being built were at a different stage of completion. Maybe it was welfare check day. Maybe I just look like I'm down with the struggle. "Who knows?" is right.

But...the reason I posted it (and used your particular post as a jumping off point) is because I've been to that building many, many times without a problem. And I want people reading about the much-maligned North Side to know that.

I can't wait for the Crazy Mocha.

Old 09-25-2009, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dugdogmaster View Post
Aren't they revamping Federal St? I thought there were some new developments going on there....

There are a whole bunch of new condos. And the new library, which is finished, I think. The reason someone might not notice the condos is that they blend in perfectly with the surrounding buildings. Meaning, they look old, or even historic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh