Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 12:19 PM

16,284 posts, read 42,959,106 times

Advertisements

How would Pittsburgh compare with Asheville or Knoxville?

Basically other cities that would have the mountain geography east of the Mississippi...thinking of overall differences or similarities...in whichever way. Musically, culturally, politically, etc. to compare them with Pittsburgh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2009, 12:34 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,669,173 times
We've got our share of rednecks and white trash, so I'm sure that would seem similar.

Old 09-30-2009, 12:38 PM

29,627 posts, read 34,082,392 times
Have you ever been to Asheville, Scott? It's a beautiful area, and not at all full of rednecks.

Old 09-30-2009, 02:17 PM

20,273 posts, read 32,859,479 times
Well, for one thing the Pittsburgh region is much bigger in population, as is the central urban area. The culture is also very different, as different probably as comparing Philadelphia and Charleston.

I guess my point is the differences so outweigh the similarities (aside from the topography) that it is hard to know where to start.

Old 09-30-2009, 03:22 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,669,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Have you ever been to Asheville, Scott? It's a beautiful area, and not at all full of rednecks.
Our area is beautiful too, they were asking for comparisons, and that's what I gave them.

Old 09-30-2009, 03:39 PM

261 posts, read 1,296,263 times
I've only been to Asheville once but it has a vibe that is very similar to Ithaca NY - in other words not like Pittsburgh at all.

Old 09-30-2009, 07:32 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,697,930 times
Having passed through Asheville, I have only the most superficial impressions. That said, it seems to be a very nice place. Great climate, nice people, superb surroundings. However, it does not seem nearly as large, so may not have the urban amenities. It is also something of a mecca for enviros & new agers, so that could be a good or a bad thing. I would suspect real estate is also more pricey.

Knoxville seems a closer comparison to Pittsburgh. Larger, with a bigger urban base, big river flowing through. It is the intellectual/science center of Tennessee, for what that is worth.

Old 09-30-2009, 09:24 PM

Asheville as well as Pittsburgh are cities I plan to spend some time in next time back in the U.S. - to look at where to live in the future.

Asheville's climate and mountains sound ideal. But it does sound much too small, and sounds like not nearly as much to do as Pittsburgh.

Knoxville was an afterthought, I think it would be too bible belt for me....but the mountain terrain and such is interesting.

Pittsburgh is VERY HIGH on my list of where to move back to when I get back to the U.S. The others are more afterthoughts...the Pittsburgh forum is so active, and a ton of great posters, so very informative with narrowing things down though.

Old 10-01-2009, 04:52 AM

38,707 posts, read 102,697,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
How would Pittsburgh compare with Asheville or Knoxville?

Basically other cities that would have the mountain geography east of the Mississippi...thinking of overall differences or similarities...in whichever way. Musically, culturally, politically, etc. to compare them with Pittsburgh.
Haven't been to Knoxville so I'll leave that one to others.

Pittsburgh is more fast-paced and lively than Asheville. And that's not because Pittsburgh is a particularly fast-paced city so much as Asheville is a giant vat of molasses disguised as a small metropolis. Asheville's motto is "we'll get around to it, eventually."

Pittsburgh has more run-down areas and the detritus of its industrial past is evident all over; whereas Asheville, while not exactly the most spit-polished place I've been, is more in tune with its natural surroundings.

The political comparisons are hard to nail down because Asheville seems divided squarely into two camps: neo-Confederate Bible thumpers and leaf-licking hippie nutwhacks. Pittsburgh's political climate tends to slide right down the middle between the two.

Asheville seems positively obsessed with bluegrass/mountain music, though I suspect that's mostly an affectation for the benefit of tourists. Nonetheles it seems to fit the general theme of the area. If Pittsburgh could be described as a genre of music, I'd call Pittsburgh "classic rock." There are of course local venues that appeal to a broader taste in music than just classic rock, but you shouldn't be surprised to hear Foghat rolling out of the jukebox at your average corner tavern.

Old 10-01-2009, 08:07 AM

Thanks Drover!

The Classic Rock...sounds like where I grew up in MI...the novelty of bluegrass/mountain music is kinda cool...although, it does get kind of old. Classic Rock was great back in the early 1980s! I can't imagine still listening to it regularly 20 years later! But...I guess it could be worse...it could be hip-hop dominating the radio...either way, it isn't good!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh