Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 05:23 PM

4,275 posts, read 7,599,647 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Mizz Pittsburgh View Post
I really don't care about Barnes and Noble, or any other book store for that matter (I'm more of a libary person), but Panera is definitely welcome to come to the HEART of East Lib if it wants to....lol...LOVE Panera......It would be closer for me to frequent an East Liberty Panera than a Waterworks or the Centre Avenue location in Shadyside...They should put one near those condo's they're building on the old Nabisco site.
I can't see Panera's opening in East Liberty. There already is one by Shadyside Hospital
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2009, 06:31 PM

1,776 posts, read 2,685,877 times
I wonder...does Pittsburgh have any good local book stores that could conceivably make the upgrade to the old B&N space? If not, I could see someone based in Sq Hill stepping up to the plate to get something back in there that's comparable. Barnes & Noble seems like the type of establishment that would cause a ruckus by the community when they leave.

Old 10-01-2009, 08:49 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,622,715 times
as far as i know, pittsburgh doesn't have a single independent new book store, only used book stores. the last one was jay's book stall.

it'd be amazing if someone started an independent book store in that space, but it's really unlikely that will happen.

Old 10-01-2009, 10:31 PM

29 posts, read 89,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raubre View Post
I can't see Panera's opening in East Liberty. There already is one by Shadyside Hospital
Is that the one on Centre? There is a small Panera's on Centre as well out there.

-I'm new to the area and don't know where Shadyside ends and East Liberty starts.

Old 10-02-2009, 12:14 AM

38,707 posts, read 102,751,145 times
For all intents and purposes, the railroad tracks and busway is the border, though technically the tiny sliver between the tracks and Centre Avenue is part of Shadyside.

Old 10-02-2009, 06:40 AM

2,043 posts, read 5,036,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tluvpitt View Post
Is that the one on Centre? There is a small Panera's on Centre as well out there.

-I'm new to the area and don't know where Shadyside ends and East Liberty starts.
Yes, the one on Centre Avenue is considered "Shadyside".

If you stay on Centre Avenue, going towards Whole Foods (where Centre Avenue eventually turns into Penn Circle), East Liberty begins at the corner of S. Highland and Penn Circle. Once you cross over that light at S. Highland and Penn Circle, you're entering East Liberty.

Old 10-02-2009, 07:19 AM

4,275 posts, read 7,599,647 times
Quote:

Yes, that's it. It just seems thisclose to East Liberty that it's almost borderline I guess.

Old 10-02-2009, 07:57 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,540,264 times
Quote:

Yeah. Panera is not really borderline in that location. I mean, the Giant Eagle Market District on Centre is clearly in Shadyside, and Shadyside really extends over to Baum in those areas, I would think. But, the Panera is close enough; right now I don't think they have a market for another store in East Liberty.

Whole Foods is where you get borderline. That place, when they built it, was considered to be "Hey, they're building something in East Liberty!" Now, though, because you still can't make longtime Pittsburghers believe that there's nothing terribly wrong with much of East Liberty, Whole Foods is in Shadyside. The lines definitely blur right there. It seems like these days wherever you perceive the "good" area to end is where East Liberty begins.

Old 10-02-2009, 08:10 AM

20,273 posts, read 32,877,652 times
That defining East Liberty to be whatever isn't good thing really irks me. The marketing people even invented a new term, "Eastside", to try to define anything in East Liberty near Shadyside out of East Liberty (get it? East[liberty][shady]side? How clever!).

Fortunately I think that is all breaking down as we speak. A bunch of new stuff has already been added in what is undeniably the heart of East Liberty, and there is a lot more stuff (including several hotels) in development. So I am fairly confident East Liberty is going to emerge with as good a branding as the Strip or the South Side in several years.

Old 10-02-2009, 08:13 AM

2,193 posts, read 5,783,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
That defining East Liberty to be whatever isn't good thing really irks me. The marketing people even invented a new term, "Eastsiide", to try to define anything in East Liberty near Shadyside out of East Liberty.
You're kidding right, they actually tried a marketing ploy like that? Unreal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh