Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 04:30 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times

Advertisements

I don't understand the big deal about Giant Eagle selling 6 packs. I can walk two blocks for a 6 pack.

If you want more than a 6 pack, you're heading to the beer distributor anyway.

I'll be impressed when Giant Eagle can sell single cans, like NYC, and wine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2009, 04:49 PM

Location: Just East of the Southern Portion of the Western Part of PA
1,272 posts, read 3,707,362 times
I like the convenience stores out west that sell ammo, beer, whiskey, and tobacco.

Old 10-01-2009, 06:24 PM

487 posts, read 1,380,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny C View Post
I like the convenience stores out west that sell ammo, beer, whiskey, and tobacco.
"Here's to feelin' good all the time! "
- Cosmo Kramer

Old 10-01-2009, 06:29 PM

JohnnyC, why don't you just put "Laurel Highlands" in your location? Afterall, that's what is 'just east of the Southern Portion of the Western Part of PA.'

If you don't like Laurel Highlands, you can be more specific with Southern Alleghenies:

Old 10-01-2009, 07:52 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,012,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I don't understand the big deal about Giant Eagle selling 6 packs. I can walk two blocks for a 6 pack.
It saves you that extra trip, and one might hope the margins and thus prices would be a bit lower at a grocery store.

Again not a huge deal in the greater scheme, but for some people it would eliminate an arbitrary small annoyance and additional marginal cost.

Old 10-01-2009, 08:52 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,652,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
It saves you that extra trip, and one might hope the margins and thus prices would be a bit lower at a grocery store.

Again not a huge deal in the greater scheme, but for some people it would eliminate an arbitrary small annoyance and additional marginal cost.
Also selection, depending upon the bar. If you need a 6-pack of IC Light, any old bar is probably fine (but may rip you off). If you want some choices, it might be a little more difficult. For someone not from here, they're going "What the hell, where do I buy a 6-pack?" It's still strange to me. And I don't even drink beer.

The tavern lobby fights everything when it comes to beer sales. They're much stronger than the beer distributors and such. Did they ever get 12-packs in the distributors? I can't remember if that passed and haven't been to one in a while.

At least beer has the capability of people being creative with selling it, like the bottle shops. Wine is the big problem.

Old 10-01-2009, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
At least beer has the capability of people being creative with selling it, like the bottle shops. Wine is the big problem.
Honestly with McBroom's and D's in my neighborhood, I'm perfectly fine with the beer situation--actually, make that ecstatic with the beer situation. But I am basically a beer snob, and I recognize that some people would just like to be able to pick up a cold six-pack of Sam Adams when buying groceries.

The wine situation is indeed a little more dire. The selection in even the best stores is just too limited, and there is basically no variety between the best stores. And shipping is a real PITA. Just not a good situation for wine people.

Old 10-01-2009, 11:10 PM

Hey, I don't even drink beer so I guess that's why I don't see it as a big deal.

From what I know about beer drinkers, a 6 pack ain't gonna cut it. They're going to the beer distributor for a case!

You'll have my attention when they start selling something other than beer at the grocery store.

Old 10-01-2009, 11:25 PM

16,258 posts, read 43,185,236 times
This is interesting.

So...if you buy a 6-pack from the tavern to go, is it at inflated prices? Or is at what would be supermarket prices?

Additionally, are these government-owned beer distributors...are they at price as well? Or inflated prices?

Old 10-01-2009, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
From what I know about beer drinkers, a 6 pack ain't gonna cut it. They're going to the beer distributor for a case!
There are actually a decent number of people who drink beer now and then, but usually not more than one at a time (at least not at home) and not every day. For people like that, a case is a real investment--it may take several weeks to finish, and a little variety over such a period can be nice. Hence the six-pack is actually a quite useful unit for such casual beer drinkers, which in turn is why the six-pack even exists as a popular unit, and why grocery and convenience stores will in fact sell six-packs if they are allowed to.

Edit: By the way, the six-pack is actually roughly equivalent to a bottle of wine in terms of number of servings. So basically for the same reasons many people buy wine by the bottle and not the case, that is why many people prefer to buy beer by the six-pack and not the case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh