U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2009, 08:37 AM

20,274 posts, read 17,240,380 times
Last I knew the City, which I gather owns the Mt. Washington building, doesn't yet have any plans for it if this closing goes through.

I have to say although it seems like a nice little building (I have never been inside), it isn't exactly an ideal structure for a Grandview location, and it has a big "backyard" that doesn't seem to be very useful right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2009, 09:36 AM

3,803 posts, read 2,731,914 times
Sorry, I was off by an hour on Lawrenceville's closing time. It still doens't provide much time for someone to get off work at 5, commute home, and browse the library for a book or movie. Maybe if they know what they want, reserve it online, don't have too long of a commute, and rush to the library without going to or doing anything at home first.

The point I was trying to make is that a library holding normal business hours, or close to it, isn't of much use to many people outside of schoolage kids during vacations. If the library shifted it's schedule from 10am - 6pm to 12pm - 8pm it would give people who work normal hours a lot more time to use it. They could always switch hours during school vacations, if access for children before noon is a concern.

Maybe it's just me, maybe I should know exactly what I want, not be prone to browsing, not mind having to rush straight to the library from work. It really doesn't make a difference, though; An increase in library-goers does not make them any more cost effective.

Old 10-20-2009, 08:21 AM

68 posts, read 123,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post

As crazy as that sounds, a library needs to fulfill everyones needs, and if somebody comes in for wrestling DVDs and picks up a Bruno Sammartino biography and learns to love reading, that makes everyone happy...
Off topic but I just had to say it was nice to see Bruno's name. A childhood hero and what a nice guy!

Old 10-20-2009, 09:09 AM

8,113 posts, read 6,827,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by porchlight View Post
Off topic but I just had to say it was nice to see Bruno's name. A childhood hero and what a nice guy!

Couldn't agree more, when I lived in Ross I used to see him jogging along Thompson Run Road.

Old 10-20-2009, 05:01 PM

12,393 posts, read 9,368,610 times
Save the Libraries Facebook group: Login | Facebook

And petition: http://www.petitiononline.com/CLP123/petition.html

Old 10-25-2009, 10:05 AM

875 posts, read 747,095 times
Well certainly this is good news to hear: Emotional crowd pleads to keep libraries open

I'm still befuddled how the city has been able to fund all these expensive projects while library officials warned about these closings. Maybe if there's enough public support, the city actually might step in and accomplish something.

Old 11-08-2009, 09:06 AM

There's going to be a rally on Wednesday the 11th in front of the Carnegie Library in Oakland from 1pm to 3pm. so says Facebook.

Old 12-08-2009, 08:28 PM

2,040 posts, read 3,424,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarisnowday View Post
Sorry, I was off by an hour on Lawrenceville's closing time. It still doens't provide much time for someone to get off work at 5, commute home, and browse the library for a book or movie. Maybe if they know what they want, reserve it online, don't have too long of a commute, and rush to the library without going to or doing anything at home first.

The point I was trying to make is that a library holding normal business hours, or close to it, isn't of much use to many people outside of schoolage kids during vacations. If the library shifted it's schedule from 10am - 6pm to 12pm - 8pm it would give people who work normal hours a lot more time to use it. They could always switch hours during school vacations, if access for children before noon is a concern.

Maybe it's just me, maybe I should know exactly what I want, not be prone to browsing, not mind having to rush straight to the library from work. It really doesn't make a difference, though; An increase in library-goers does not make them any more cost effective.
I know I was shocked to see that there isn't a library in the city that is open past 7 pm during the week. Somebody should mention to the city that an awful lot of people work 9 to 5ish, and they might like to visit the library during the week. Or do Pittsburgh civic leaders still think that the little woman is at home all day to take the kids to the library and checkout books for her husband?

Old 12-09-2009, 10:24 AM

They had to dramatically slash hours a few years ago for an earlier round of budget cuts: Carnegie Library to cut hours in face of shrinking budget - Pittsburgh Business Times:

Quote:
the main library in Oakland and the Squirrel Hill branch will no longer be open Sundays. The remaining 16 branch libraries will have their operating hours reduced by 15 percent to 20 percent.

Old 12-09-2009, 12:01 PM

427 posts, read 392,586 times
Quote:
I know I was shocked to see that there isn't a library in the city that is open past 7 pm during the week.
While I agree that more evening hours would be convenient, the main branch (which is in the city) is open until 8 Mon - Thurs. The Swissvale and Edgewood libraries (which are part of the eiNetwork of libraries where you can use your Carnegie library card and request/return/checkout books interchangably) also have hours till 8 on some weekdays. Other eiNetwork libraries may have evening hours as well, I'm just most familiar with these two.

Quote:
The main branch in Oakland and the Squirrel Hill branch will no longer be open Sundays. The remaining 16 branch libraries will have their operating hours reduced by 15 percent to 20 percent.
The main branch and Squirrel Hill branch still have Sunday hours, so some of the cuts in that article must have been rescinded.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh