Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 09:09 AM

29,744 posts, read 34,376,832 times

Advertisements

Ha. "Save Our Libraries! Don't Return Your Books on Time!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2009, 01:15 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Has CLP ever tried doing anything like "pay $10 a year, and you can keep materials twice as long" or something like that? Libraries are supposed to be "free to the people" but I'm sure folks who could would give a little cash if they knew it would save them.
Even if this idea is completely practical, charging even $10 violates not only the spirit of the Carnegie library concept, but the terms of the grant as well, which might invoke sanctions against the library if violated.

Old 10-07-2009, 01:19 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,979,609 times
I've heard that in the past couple decades the fastest growing source of income for libraries has been coffee shops

Old 10-08-2009, 11:56 AM

Editorial from the P-G: A great city, failing its libraries

Old 10-14-2009, 02:13 PM

Save the Libraries blog: SaveNeighborhoodLibraries

Old 10-14-2009, 04:51 PM

2 posts, read 2,741 times
Default Some many things wrong with...

these posts! It is as if no one has ever entered a Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh.

1.) Wrestling videos: "The Library's goal is to provide a balanced collection including instructional, educational, and literature-based videos as well as popular feature films. The following selection criteria are considered: favorable reviews in standard library reviewing sources; appropriateness of the subject to the collection; appropriateness to the interests and skills of the intended users; technical quality, i.e. clarity of picture and sound quality; authority and competency of the producer; artistic merit and reputation of the performers; the need for non-fiction and documentaries to present accurate and current information; and cost. Foreign language films titles are chosen based on artistic merit and customer interest."
(Collection Development and Management Policy, Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh)

2.) The reason Beechview is closing is because it WAS NOT renovated. None of the renovated branches (Brookline, Squirrel Hill, Woods Run, Allegheny, Homewood, or Downtown) were considered for closure.

3.) The Mt. Washington branch of Carnegie Library has never been renovated.

4.) Carnegie Library of PITTSBURGH has never closed a branch since it's inception in 1895. The Main library was the first library built in the city of Pittsburgh. The first BRANCH was Lawrenceville. The Braddock Carnegie Library is NOT in the Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh system. Braddock is its own entity and is responsible for that library.

5.) Lawrenceville is open until 6 p.m. Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday.

Do some research before you blow off what the Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh system does for the city and its neighborhoods.

Old 10-14-2009, 05:20 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,251,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarisnowday View Post
I'd tell you what the Lawrenceville one looked like if they were ever open after 5pm! And Saturday doesn't count :-p

I know they aren't making money by me borrowing books, but If they had different hours I would actually go.
My mom used to work for the Cranberry Library, and at least then -- libraries did make money from you taking out books. Circulation of books is what drives the funding from the government. That's why I take tons of books out of the library.

That way you take a chance on maybe finding a gem you wouldn't have tried if you had to buy books, and the library gets better circulation numbers to get more funding to buy more books.

And wrestling DVDs.

As crazy as that sounds, a library needs to fulfill everyones needs, and if somebody comes in for wrestling DVDs and picks up a Bruno Sammartino biography and learns to love reading, that makes everyone happy...

Old 10-14-2009, 07:49 PM

89 posts, read 218,091 times
Libraries are not necessarily aimed solely for the enlightenment of cultural elitists. They should have a wealth or resources available - not just those that fit preconceived notions of what is appropriate or not. Libraries are for the public - so wrestling DVDs that will provide entertainment to the public are not bad things to have in a collection.

Old 10-15-2009, 07:54 AM

Quote:
3.) The Mt. Washington branch of Carnegie Library has never been renovated.
But the building is 110 years old, has always been a Carnegie Library, and is a city historic landmark.

Old 10-16-2009, 07:32 AM

2 posts, read 2,741 times
IF the Mt. Washington branch is a city historic landmark, then let the CITY update it. It is currently non-ADA compliant and has no parking- those are both huge factors when thinking about public libraries. There may be a plaque on the building, but the Pittsburgh History and Landmarks Foundation has not added it to their list. (Pittsburgh History & Landmarks Foundation » Local Historic Designations) I am a big fan of old Pittsburgh buildings, but there should be more compelling reasons for saving buildingS other than simply being old.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh