Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2009, 02:20 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,018,179 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Of course Pittsburgh's foreclosure rate should be lower than a lot of cities'. It has one of the cheapest housing markets in the country.
Indeed, at least if you are talking about larger metros (many of the smaller metros on this list would have housing prices as low or lower). Plus it is doing relatively well as far as unemployment rates and wages are concerned. All that adds up to a fairly obvious explanation for why the foreclosure rate has remained relatively low.

Of course I think that was the original point--Pittsburgh housing prices never really got out of whack from incomes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2009, 02:35 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,762,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
Indeed, at least if you are talking about larger metros (many of the smaller metros on this list would have housing prices as low or lower). Plus it is doing relatively well as far as unemployment rates and wages are concerned. All that adds up to a fairly obvious explanation for why the foreclosure rate has remained relatively low.

Of course I think that was the original point--Pittsburgh housing prices never really got out of whack from incomes.

I think the important thing is that prices to incomes (and job availability) have held steady. I think the fact that folks on the coasts laugh at 2.6 price to income ratios is exactly the problem. The most bubblicious places (CA, AZ, FL, OR, NV) have been immigration magnets and have each developed a mythology that they are somehow unique. Many of those places were so out of touch with the real value of real estate that something had to give. Be thankful that such real estate hype has not hit your city. It is very destructive, and there are many who profit from supporting a corrupt system once it gets going, and many others who are ruined or end up paying the bill.

Old 10-15-2009, 04:22 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
Be thankful that such real estate hype has not hit your city. It is very destructive, and there are many who profit from supporting a corrupt system once it gets going, and many others who are ruined or end up paying the bill.
I'm concerned that will happen to Pittsburgh in the near future. Not only did our real estate remain stable, but our economy remained stable too. Since we're one of the only areas of the country doing fairly well during this recession, many people are looking to move here. I just pray that our real estate values remain stable and construction increases instead of values rising.

Old 10-15-2009, 04:35 PM

2,193 posts, read 5,803,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I just pray that our real estate values remain stable and construction increases instead of values rising.
People always take the quick and easy route. Which do you think that is?

Old 10-15-2009, 06:04 PM

It would seem that there is some room for growth within the existing capacity, with the population declines and all. Do you see a need for a bunch of new construction? Seems like that would just add sprawl.

I don't see Pittsburgh becoming a huge destination city like Portland right away. And the people who would come in probably were not the super bubblers that flew out of the sunbelt. Probably just working stiffs looking for a decent place to start. But if good price growth does run for a couple years or so, and it appears there is a lot of profit to be made, the "infestors" will move in to bid things up. That is where good regulation, loan standards can come in, to make sure the speculators can actually service their debt. In 2005,anyone who could fog a mirror could get a loan in California.

Old 10-15-2009, 09:27 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,018,179 times
I'm reasonably confident we have enough excess capacity to keep a pricing boom in residential real estate from taking off for quite a while, even if net migration turns solidly positive. And we also have plenty of room for infill.

That said, it is true that real estate booms can feed on themselves, so we should be keeping an eye out. And I'm actually much more worried about a boom-and-bust cycle in commercial real estate than residential real estate--there is much less excess capacity on the commercial side in Pittsburgh, and so many other markets have so much excess capacity that if and when money starts looking for commercial real estate projects to fund again, I could see Pittsburgh taking off.

Old 10-15-2009, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
That said, it is true that real estate booms can feed on themselves, so we should be keeping an eye out. And I'm actually much more worried about a boom-and-bust cycle in commercial real estate than residential real estate--there is much less excess capacity on the commercial side in Pittsburgh, and so many other markets have so much excess capacity that if and when money starts looking for commercial real estate projects to fund again, I could see Pittsburgh taking off.
Yes, this is precisely the problem. A positive feedback loop sets up if things take off and investors rush for a slice of the take. It is just something that we cannot let happen again. RE is just too big for daytrading. Folks making hundreds of thousands in ill-gotten gains flipping properties. Of course anyone who loses a fraction of that folds the cards, and torpedoes the bank. And we all have to step in. It still galls me to bail out the *****W!PE$ who did this to the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh