U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-13-2009, 12:33 PM

10 posts, read 18,991 times
Default Possibly moving to Pittsburgh - need suggestions

Well, it looks like my employer may be relocating me to the PA area (Mt. Pleasant to be more exact). I'm not to keen on living in small-ish towns and Pitt seems to be the closest city.

What areas should I be looking at in terms of things to do, commute, and the general age-group of the area considering...

1. I'm 24, male. My 21 yr old girlfriend may be moving in with me as well.
2. Active and like to ride bikes, fish, camp, etc. Generally be outdoors
3. Have a 20 lb pet dog.
4. Will most likely only be in the area for ~8 months.
5. City view is not important
6. Rent in the $400-$900 range. Really looking for a modern interior, but I know this will be apartment/house specific.
7. My GF will be looking for a job as a pharmacist tech, so we assume living in/near the city will give her the best shot at finding a suitable job (and I'd rather drive out of the city than have her have to drive into the city if we were to live in Greensburg/Monroeville)

I know apartments are actually more expensive to rent than it is to own a home in the area, but I'd be looking for a 1-2 bedroom place. Would prefer to rent a small home with a fenced in yard for my dog, but not completely against renting an apartment or townhome (nearby dog park would work). I want a more 'modern' neighborhood. We both have our own cars, so parking will be important. How far our ski resorts from the area (we both like snowboarding, I know 7springs is only ~1.5 hr drive)?

I'm guessing I should be looking at the east/southeast areas since that will give me the shortest commute? A suburb of the city is fine as well (we both grew up in Fairfax, VA so we are used to living in the 'burbs and driving everywhere).

Thanks!

Last edited by cambo4585; 10-13-2009 at 01:05 PM.. Reason: added reason #7
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2009, 12:53 PM

40,271 posts, read 43,136,544 times
You will not want to commute from Pittsburgh to Mt. Pleasant. Consider Greensburg or Monroeville.

Old 10-13-2009, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
You will not want to commute from Pittsburgh to Mt. Pleasant. Consider Greensburg or Monroeville.
Why would I not want to commute? I already know this commute should take ~1hr each way.

I should have added in the original post that my gf will be looking for a job as a pharmacist technician and the city seems like the best place for her to look for a job. I'd rather drive longer if it meant she had to drive very little.

Old 10-13-2009, 01:04 PM

You don't understand. The suburbs of the city extend very far out from Pittsburgh's downtown. All of those towns on the map are not little small town living. Moneroeville is a thriving shopping township in the suburbs of Pittsburgh. It's the perfect place for you to live. Your girlfriend could very well end up working 10 minutes away. Sure, Monroeville isn't city living, but adding 2 hours onto your day (it will be more than 1 hour each way during rush hour) isn't going to leave you much time to enjoy the city anyway. Monroeville gives you the best of both worlds. You'll be close enough to go into the city or the country. You really should check out the area before you think that a dot on a map means small town living.

Old 10-13-2009, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
You don't understand. The suburbs of the city extend very far out from Pittsburgh's downtown. All of those towns on the map are not little small town living. Moneroeville is a thriving shopping township in the suburbs of Pittsburgh. It's the perfect place for you to live. Your girlfriend could very well end up working 10 minutes away. You really should check out the area before you think that a dot on a map means small town living.
That sounds like something I will need to look into further. From what my coworkers have said though, Monroeville doesn't leave much in terms of pet-friendly places to rent. Eagle Ridge apartments would be the only place we would be interested in, though we haven't heard many positive reviews.

Heard Greenburg isn't much better also.

Old 10-13-2009, 01:33 PM

8,114 posts, read 6,835,696 times
If you're only going to be there for 8 months I'd look to rent in Mt. Pleasant. It's a nice little town that still has an active downtown business section. I'm sure you could find a rental to meet your needs. Greensburg is about 40 minutes away with a shopping area similar to Monroeville if you gf is looking for a pharm-tech job. A lot of pharmacies along Rte. 30. I grew up around Monroeville, that area is drab IMHO.

Old 10-13-2009, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
If you're only going to be there for 8 months I'd look to rent in Mt. Pleasant. It's a nice little town that still has an active downtown business section. I'm sure you could find a rental to meet your needs. Greensburg is about 40 minutes away with a shopping area similar to Monroeville if you gf is looking for a pharm-tech job. A lot of pharmacies along Rte. 30. I grew up around Monroeville, that area is drab IMHO.
It would be 8 months at the minimum, with the possibility of staying there permanently. Also, I've visited Mt Pleasant for a day, and it does not look like there is anything the resembles a "downtown". Plus it doesn't seem to meet my criteria of for lots of similar-aged population - seems full of old people.

Old 10-13-2009, 01:59 PM

Pet friendly is hard to find anywhere in Southwestern PA. The city isn't going to make it any easier to find pet friendly.

If anything, it will be more difficult to find pet friendly rentals in Pittsburgh because the vacancy rates are low.

The farther out you go, the more likely you'll find a landlord willing to accept a pet because there are less people looking to rent farther away from the city.

Old 10-13-2009, 02:06 PM

I'd like to point out that it's very unlikely that your girlfriend will find a job as a pharmacy tech in the city. She'll be more likely to find a job in the suburbs.

Old 10-13-2009, 02:17 PM

I see you edited your first post to exclude Monroeville and Greensburg as options. (Not cool.)

As I mentioned, your girlfriend is more unlikely to find a job in the city. She might end up working in the North Hills before working in town.

If you insist on living in the city, try to stay near Route 22 so you can access the turnpike at Monroeville.

Areas like Squirrel Hill, Regent Square and possibly Edgewood would most fit your criteria.

I think the wisest thing to do is wait to see where your girlfriend gets a job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh