Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2009, 09:14 AM

1,016 posts, read 1,937,881 times

Advertisements

It;s legal but some of the tickets are fake and If YOU get caught with a fake ticket YOU get arrested. I ve seen it happen at Mellon Arena and the guy and gf said they just bought the tickets from a scalper on the street to the ticket and the tiket taker told him explane that to the judge I have to call the police since the tickets are Fake.............the police came and he and the gf handcuffed and taken away because he could not prove his story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2009, 09:21 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,542,794 times
You just have to be careful, I've never had any trouble scalping Pirate tickets, maybe they are regulated differently than the Steelers.

Old 10-16-2009, 09:33 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chichappens View Post
It;s legal but some of the tickets are fake and If YOU get caught with a fake ticket YOU get arrested. I ve seen it happen at Mellon Arena and the guy and gf said they just bought the tickets from a scalper on the street to the ticket and the tiket taker told him explane that to the judge I have to call the police since the tickets are Fake.............the police came and he and the gf handcuffed and taken away because he could not prove his story.
You have no idea if he really bought them off a scalper. He might have forged them himself.

Old 10-16-2009, 07:52 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,652,966 times
Moderator cut: orphaned, the post you were referring to got deleted.

Anyway, it's weird to see the term scalping in reference to buying. Scalping is what the scalper does. The scalper is the seller. I do wish you good luck though. I have not tried to buy tix that way, although I have walked by many a scalper when I have gone to games. I understand that theory of after the game starting any leftover seats being unloaded for cheap, but I have never been around outside to see it actually happen. It's a tricky balance, I would think, that could potentially leave you without tickets.

I'm not getting to any Steelers games this year, most likely, but that's okay because I got to a couple last year, including that AFC Championship game on the way to the Super Bowl win! (Holy crap it was cold that day!)

Last edited by Yac; 10-19-2009 at 04:20 AM..

Old 10-17-2009, 10:47 PM

675 posts, read 2,098,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
Anyway, it's weird to see the term scalping in reference to buying. Scalping is what the scalper does. The scalper is the seller. I do wish you good luck though.
Thanks greg42,

I didn't realize scalp referred only to the act of selling the tickets. You learn something new every day!

Old 10-18-2009, 07:28 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,652,966 times
Hey, StubHub is great, but you do pay a hefty premium for going that way. Although as I said I've never gotten tix this way, my understanding is a number of legitimate sellers will try to unload on game day, if they have last minute schedule changes or whatever reason. Plus, indeed, brokers or others who didn't manage to sell on StubHub in time, some of them must be down there. And then there are a certain number of tix that will just go unused, people not going and not organized enough to get them sold in time and not going to turn up on game day to sell them. Just how much that will happen on any given day is hard to say. There are so many variables. Not something I would try, I don't think, always feels too risky, but I certainly understand anyone trying to get to the game for the least amount possible. Go Steelers!

BTW, I didn't realize this before, but if YOU have a ticket to the game and it's only your friends who do not (possibly the case given the wording of your post as I read it again, not sure) your ticket should be a good indicator of what a valid ticket looks and feels like. If anything seems off, perhaps it is a scam. I would think we'd hear stories, though, of the fake tickets, if that were prevalent.

And if any of you are Browns fans I take back all the good luck remarks.

Old 10-18-2009, 08:46 AM

I use stub hub when I by tickets for the penguins-Igloo, pirates-Lexus club and Steelers Ledgends Club ....I have only paid a few extra bucks more then the orig face value...But, I have seen tickets for concerts that can go up to the thousands.

just looked at stub hub they have todays game tix starting at $29 to $385

Personally if you don't have the best seats then its better to just watch the game at home.

Last edited by Chichappens; 10-18-2009 at 08:54 AM..

Old 10-18-2009, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
And if any of you are Browns fans I take back all the good luck remarks.

I think the Steelers will win against the Browns....Next week is the real test

Minn. Vikings are 5-0 winning streak....but the Steelers may break it too...

Old 10-19-2009, 07:17 AM

6,601 posts, read 8,979,609 times
Quote:
just looked at stub hub they have todays game tix starting at $29 to $385
I looked a few days before that and saw they had $69 tickets, upon further investigation they were for a meet and greet with former players at a bar before the game

How did it go, OP?

Old 10-19-2009, 07:29 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,203,236 times
Buying tickets off the street isn't that big of a deal, and you definately aren't going to get arrested like some people are suggesting. Just drive to the game an hour early, park downtown and walk towards the stadium. I guarentee you will pass people selling tickets. Have cash and know how to negotiate, they will try to rip you off. Be able to look at the section the tickets are in and know how much they would cost online. If you feel like you are getting a bad deal, tell the guy you think he is ripping you off and walk away. He will chase after you and sell them to you for less. I have season tickets to Pitt Panther's football games and have sold extras to scalpers many times. Although they are supposed to stay in the 'scalping area', they are all over. Police are more concerned with drunk people doing something stupid than someone buying a ticket illegally. Another good place to check is in the parking lots where tailgating happens. Scalpers walk through there very regularly trying to sell tickets to people who come down to tailgate with friends, but don't have tickets themselves. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh