Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 08:23 PM

35 posts, read 123,170 times

Advertisements

hello everybody who reads this...

I have decided to move to Pittsburgh and would like to know...is there any particular area where artists/musicians tend to live? If not, can anyone suggest some areas that would be good for me? I'm in my mid 20's and would prefer to live in the actual city of pittsburgh rather then on the outskirts...but if there is a cool area outside the city I guess I would consider it. I have a lot of music gear..so a low crime area is a must! I would probably drive off a bridge if any of my stuff was stolen. I will be living with my sister, she got approved here in Maryland for a home loan of $115,000. I'm hoping she will get approved for the same in Pittsburgh. Are there any single family homes in the city of pittsburgh? Or just row houses? Can she get a cool row house in her price range in a low crime area in the city?

Does anyone know a website I can get a relocation packet off of? Also, does anyone know what kind of first time home buyer programs are available in pittsburgh and where I might get info on them. Thanks in advance for any information. I know you all are probably sick of all the Marylanders moving up there to PA, but it's getting way too expensive down here among other things...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2009, 10:11 PM

1,016 posts, read 1,937,881 times
South Side would be your ideal location

Old 10-15-2009, 05:10 AM

809 posts, read 2,409,882 times
Either that or Lawrenceville. Houses on streets numbered higher than 50th should be VERY inexpensive, and the area is generally safe.

Old 10-15-2009, 05:34 AM

567 posts, read 1,161,674 times
You should be able to get some relocation info from Visit Pittsburgh. Here's a link to a form to send away for info.

I concur that the Southside is probably the best, with Lawrenceville as second. Both of these neighborhoods are mostly rowhomes. You might also check out Bloomfield (though the old Italian grandmas might get annoyed by the music :-p), Garfield (kind of "up-and-coming"), or Friendship, possibly.

Quote:
I know you all are probably sick of all the Marylanders moving up there to PA
Really what we're sick of is Pittsbughers moving to bloody Maryland!! The DC area in particular probably has the highest number of Pgh ex-pats in the country.

Old 10-15-2009, 06:51 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
I'd say no to Garfield for now. The crime is still high for the OP's standards. Regardless of where you live, it would be wise to insure the equipment.

Old 10-15-2009, 07:04 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,014,869 times
As people are noting, the Lawrenceville/Bloomfield/Friendship corridor is popular with artist/musician types and usually pretty affordable. You might also check out Polish Hill--it is a variation on the same theme (it is a former blue-collar neighborhood being colonized by some students and artist-types looking for inexpensive city housing), and probably the safest place in the area for your gear.

Old 10-15-2009, 08:31 AM

6,601 posts, read 8,979,609 times
Quote:
Are there any single family homes in the city of pittsburgh? Or just row houses?
Wouldn't a row house be a single family home?

Anyway, with your budget you won't have any trouble finding something in the Southside or East End (especially Lawrenceville and Bloomfield as others have said). I'd say the southside has a more generally "young" vibe to it where the East End neighborhoods mentioned have an artsy/bohemian feel to them. Also be aware that the southside is a drinking destination, I don't know if that positively or negatively affects you.

Shadyside might be able to give you what you're looking for, and is nicer and safer than the other areas, but it costs more.

Old 10-15-2009, 08:36 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,014,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarisnowday View Post
Wouldn't a row house be a single family home?
I'm guessing the OP meant a detached SFH. Of which there are plenty in the City in general, although some of the neighborhoods we are talking about are more oriented toward rowhouses (particularly on the affordable end).

Old 10-15-2009, 10:51 AM

911 posts, read 2,375,312 times
i would recommend the south hills
(pittsburgh suburbs)
baldwin, brentwood, castle shannon, dormont, w. mifflin
all nice neighborhoods, all affordable
you can get a really nice house in a nice area for your price rance

some of the city neighborhoods are nice but they are usually a few blocks from the bad neighborhoods

Old 10-15-2009, 10:58 AM

911 posts, read 2,375,312 times
what kind of music do you play?
what instrument do you play?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh