Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 08:12 PM

1,104 posts, read 2,591,308 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by badguykc View Post
They might as well build the Mon-Fayette Expressway and wipe Braddock clean off the map. I won't miss it one bit. No offense to anyone.
Well, the plan was to have the Mon-Fayette Expressway cut right through the middle of Braddock, although there was resistance to the proposal. Anyway, this is what I don't understand about public vs. private enterprise. If you have a mall that's dying with 15 stores left in it, a developer can theoretically buy the place out and give the remaining tenants an incentive in lieu of terminating their leases. Then once the place is emptied out, then demolition can commence. Why can't something like that be done to Braddock? Yes, we're dealing with an entire town here, and yes, we're comparing apples to oranges, but my point is similar to the private sector, eg. the mall. Rather than seizing the properties via eminent domain, why not allow the remaining 2,000 or so residents to agree to a deal with a prospective developer? The developer then could pay the residents a fair share like $10,000 in lieu of either doing upgrades to their properties or $20,000 for selling their land that the properties sit on. Residents don't have to agree to the deal but I think many of them would for a number of reasons. Once a large portion of land is purchased, then it can be redeveloped into new uses. Like I said previously, most people are not going to invest in Braddock until something is done with the crime down there. My plan, as radical as it sounds, is also not likely unless someone with millions of dollars of capital can step in.

Last edited by neurodistortion; 01-31-2010 at 08:36 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2010, 08:34 PM

392 posts, read 1,068,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neurodistortion View Post
Well, the plan was to have the Mon-Fayette Expressway cut right through the middle of Braddock, although there was resistance to the proposal. Anyway, this is what I don't understand about public vs. private enterprise. If you have a mall that's dying with 15 stores left in it, a developer can theoretically buy the place out and give the remaining tenants an incentive in lieu of terminating their leases. Then once the place is emptied out, then demolition can commence. Why can't something like that be done to Braddock? Yes, we're dealing with an entire town here, and yes, we're comparing apples to oranges, but my point is similar to the private sector, eg. the mall. Rather than seizing the properties via eminent domain, why not allow the remaining 2,000 or so residents to agree to a deal with a prospective developer? The developer then could pay the residents a fair share like $10,000 in lieu of either doing upgrades to their properties or $20,000 for selling their land that the properties sit on. Residents don't have to agree to the deal but I think many of them would for a number of reasons. Once a large portion of land is purchased, then it can be redeveloped into new uses. Like I said previously, most people are not going to invest in Braddock until something is done with the crime down there. My plan, as radical as it sounds, is also not likely unless someone with millions of dollars of capital can step in.
I agree with you, and I think that just buying out Braddock, wiping it out completely and dissolving the borough (or slowly rebuilding it) would probably be the best thing. It's a dying town on life support, and someone just needs to pull the plug. However, there would most definitely be a few hold-outs (as well as numerous lawsuits) and it would probably take years (if not decades) to pull it off. That would probably leave eminent domain as the only option in that case.

To tell the truth, it actually saddens me to see what the area has become. For Braddock go from a thriving steel hub of 20,000 to a crime-ridden ghost town of about 2,000 probably best tells the tales of Pittsburgh's rise and fall. I would say that maybe annexation by a neighboring borough would be an option, but Rankin and North Braddock have problems of their own, and it really wouldn't make a difference one way or the other.

I do applaud Mayor Fetterman for trying to revive the place, though. If there were more folks like him in small, depressed communities, this would be a much better world.

Old 01-31-2010, 08:37 PM

I also think anyone should read about the history of Columbia, Maryland, it's a very fascinating story. It was built from scratch and it's not all mid- and high-end housing either, there's low income housing too and it's done tastefully.

Old 01-31-2010, 08:43 PM

392 posts, read 1,068,319 times
Quote:
I also think anyone should read about the history of Columbia, Maryland, it's a very fascinating story. It was built from scratch and it's not all mid- and high-end housing either, there's low income housing too and it's done tastefully.
I just read about Columbia...interesting.

Imagine that, a "new" Braddock? I would actually support that concept.

Old 02-01-2010, 09:31 AM

46 posts, read 100,042 times
If i lived there, I would move...like yesterday.

Old 02-02-2010, 01:52 PM

Now there's a plan to raze the hospital to develop an office building on the site.
Onorato proposes new office building to replace UPMC Braddock

Even if it's demolished, will another developer buy the land to build the new office structure? Or will the land just sit vacant for years to come?

Old 02-02-2010, 02:01 PM

354 posts, read 475,664 times
Quote:
Now there's a plan to raze the hospital to develop an office building on the site.
Onorato proposes new office building to replace UPMC Braddock

Even if it's demolished, will another developer buy the land to build the new office structure? Or will the land just sit vacant for years to come?
From the article:

"Once that occurs, the county will put out a request for proposals from private developers willing to develop the vacant site."

Isn't this the problem to begin with? No one wants to set up shop there. Assuming you take away half the significant employers in the area (Edgar Thompson being the other), why would putting up an office building in a near ghost town change anything?

Old 02-04-2010, 06:49 PM

3 posts, read 6,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Just one more reason for me to hate for UPMC! I'll bet this isn't the only hospital UPMC will close.

Makes me sick----buying up almost all of the area hospitals only to start closing them down.

UPMC is destroying healthcare in our city! I can't believe nothing is done to stop this monopoly!
Excela is doing something similar in Westmoreland County. It is very difficult to get anything that is not Excela

Last edited by Yac; 02-05-2010 at 03:33 AM..

Old 02-04-2010, 09:55 PM

Like UPMC did to Braddock, Excela is doing the same thing to Jeannette Hospital, albeit slowly. It wouldn't surprise me if they close it down in the near future.

Old 02-19-2010, 03:52 AM

3 posts, read 6,506 times
They are closing down Jeannette March 15th. I heard they are closing down the ER and making it a URGICENTER and no more inpatients. I think the lab will stay open but there was talk that they wanted the doctors to take over the hospital for office space. Westmoreland ER is overwhelmed and often on standby so I'm not sure what will happen. I think making the ER into an urgicenter is a good alternative to closing it all together, though. I personally wouldn't go to Westmoreland because of all the chaos, and a lot of people I know feel the same way. I drive to Latrobe or Pittsburgh. I don't think that hospital realizes what a bad name it has in the community. They keep getting business because there is nowhere else to go but if there was people would go elsewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh