U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-17-2009, 11:48 AM

67 posts, read 101,584 times

Advertisements

Support great art Pittsburgh...frankly I'm getting a ferking kick out of seeing all of the OBEY art around the city. Repping the posse since 98.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2009, 12:35 PM

43,017 posts, read 50,438,478 times
It reminds me of old communist propaganda posters. And I don't see any skill involved. I could produce that stuff.

Old 10-17-2009, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
It reminds me of old communist propaganda posters.
That's the direct influence, but it's done in a way that's very modern...even post-modern IMO which is where the brilliance lies in it's reappropriation of a style in a modern context.

Frankly, considering the fact that shepard is doing many of these screenprints himself with all of the details involved in these prints, and using the right colors, it takes alot of skill. This isn't just a quick cut and paste job on photoshop. There is alot that goes into this...

http://obeygiant.com/merch/Kiss-me-deadly_bg_lg.png (broken link)

I love this guy's portraits of women...

Quote:
And I don't see any skill involved. I could produce that stuff.
Then why dontcha then? Oh that's right...

Common response. You sound like one of those people that sees something phenomenal done by something else but just has to find some small way to make it seem like it's unimpressive and trite in context. As much as you are entitled to your opinion...you kind of sound like a "hater". What makes all art great is that's it's subjective in the eyes of the beholder.

Old 10-17-2009, 01:32 PM

13,203 posts, read 10,860,211 times
One of Fairey's posters is on the old car dealership at the corner of Craft and Blvd of the Allies in Oakland. It has a big rip in it--looks like someone tried to take it.

Old 10-17-2009, 01:40 PM

Location: If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space
12,345 posts, read 5,290,627 times
Thanks! The Warhol is the perfect venue for this show - as are some of the public spaces around town. Definitely a controversial artist, and compelling. Can't say I agree with all of his methods but, if he's gonna steal and tag, he sure does it in a purty way. There's a piece downtown on third I think that's especially lovely to look at.

In fairness to Hopes, I think a lot of people see the simpler images and haven't the foggiest idea what it takes to create something like that - what methods, what media, nadda - they look "easy" and that's part of the art.

Old 10-17-2009, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toosie View Post
Thanks! The Warhol is the perfect venue for this show - as are some of the public spaces around town. Definitely a controversial artist, and compelling. Can't say I agree with all of his methods but, if he's gonna steal and tag, he sure does it in a purty way. There's a piece downtown on third I think that's especially lovely to look at..
You are welcome...

Yeah, I've been a fan of his artwork for a long time and his approach to getting his art seen by the public. I think it's especially incredible that the art world has been giving him his props, but was only a matter of time before the street art movement that people like Shep helped to vanguard got it's fair share of attention.

He does have many similarities with Warhol...especially in his usage of screenprints.

Old 10-17-2009, 08:46 PM

2,415 posts, read 2,996,161 times
First of all, people who say "I could do that" don't understand art in the least. The thing is, you aren't doing that, he is. On the other hand, technique isn't everything, and even though he has the technique down for what he's doing, it's about as trite as it gets. Flowers in rifles? "Serious" renditions of the politician du jour? Gimme a break. He peaked with "Andre the Giant has a posse".

Old 10-17-2009, 10:16 PM

13,014 posts, read 19,900,217 times
The Obama one is from the same artist as the others?

Old 10-18-2009, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
The Obama one is from the same artist as the others?

Yep...

Old 10-18-2009, 10:40 AM

The opening last night was awesome! BTW, the show goes on until the 31st of January, so don't rush to get to the Warhol. It's alot more amazing in person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh