Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 09:14 AM

6,601 posts, read 8,982,581 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know where I could find a list of what offices and issues will be on the ballot this November? I visited the county BOE site, but couldn't find a list.

edit: I guess I should add that I am registered in Pittsburgh proper
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2009, 10:29 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,657,658 times
It's all local stuff on the odd-numbered years. Municipal. In the city it's mayor, probably council seats, not sure what else. Such a waste, running elections every year when you could have them every two instead.

Where to find what's on the ballot feels like a big damn secret sometimes. I always have trouble too. If I have a chance to dig a bit I will post back if I find something, but others may beat me to it.

Old 10-19-2009, 04:46 PM

89 posts, read 218,118 times
In Pittsburgh, it's: mayor; City Council District 2, 4, and 6; and some various judicial positions (State Supreme Court, Court of Common Pleas (I think).

Old 10-19-2009, 05:31 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,675,363 times
it's a pretty big deal council election in wilkinsburg, especially ward 2. if anyone lives there, dm me and i'll give you the scoop.

Old 10-19-2009, 05:34 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,546,779 times
Doesn't matter, just pull that old Democrat lever, like everyone else that lives in the City.

Old 10-19-2009, 05:40 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Do you think Franco will win? I saw lots of his supporters wearing t-shirts today.

It occurred to me that he might actually have a chance since the current mayor is so young and Franco is, well, Franco.

Of course, I can't vote in city elections, but I was just wondering what others think.

Old 10-19-2009, 06:06 PM

2,269 posts, read 3,801,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Do you think Franco will win? I saw lots of his supporters wearing t-shirts today.

It occurred to me that he might actually have a chance since the current mayor is so young and Franco is, well, Franco.

Of course, I can't vote in city elections, but I was just wondering what others think.
That's not Franco who's running, it's his son. He has no chance, and he knows it. What he's trying to do. is set himself up for down the road. Like Onorato, I expect Luke to soon run for higher office. By getting his name out there now, Dok Harris will have a leg up on the competition. if and when this happens. Harris is running as an independent, but will quickly reappear as a Dem when the time is right.

Old 10-19-2009, 06:07 PM

Dok Harris is trading on his father's name, methinks. Nothing against him, but no, I don't think he has much of a chance even if he does share that famous name. I think Kevin Acklin may be the best alternative for significant change at the city level, but that's only from the small amount I know of those guys. I was just reading something about Acklin today, or really just starting to read it (don't think I finished) but now I can't find where it was.

I forgot about the judicial things, yeah, there are always a couple. Out here in the sticks I think we have school board (at least a couple of them) as well as borough council (some of them, but not all) and mayor. A lot of these folks will be unopposed and/or filed on both major party tickets. I guess Ravenstahl managed that as well, getting on both major party tickets, hence the other two guys running as independents.

Old 10-19-2009, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herodotus View Post
That's not Franco who's running, it's his son. He has no chance, and he knows it. What he's trying to do. is set himself up for down the road. Like Onorato, I expect Luke to soon run for higher office. By getting his name out there now, Dok Harris will have a leg up on the competition. if and when this happens. Harris is running as an independent, but will quickly reappear as a Dem when the time is right.
And yeah, this is probably right too. Dok is clearly a Dem based on what I've seen, and Acklin used to be registered as a Republican.

I'm not sure what higher office Luke could run for at this point, though. While it's not bad enough to keep him from getting reelected in the city, unless he runs for something that gets the most of the votes from there, I'm not sure there's much chance. He's probably better off staying as mayor until he gets more widespread stature, if he can. Jumping to a state legislative position wouldn't be any good. That only leaves US House, which I think there's already an established Dem for the city, right? I forget who it is at the moment. He wouldn't make it in a statewide race yet, and I don't think he will in 4 years either. I can't picture him making that work. I think he could be mayor until he screws it up enough for even the diehards to give up or is tired of it, though. (Which would not really be good for things.)

Old 10-19-2009, 06:31 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,546,779 times
Luke Boy will be Mayor forever, count on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh