Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 08:59 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,697,930 times

Advertisements

Pittburghers,

I was reading an article about the Alleghenies the other day and noted that the Allegheny River had something like 80 fish species. Wow! I began thinking about fishing. I took my 6 year old son fishing this summer for the first time and he hammered me! We went out lake fishing three times and each time he landed a nice keeper trout (11-12"), while I enjoyed the scenery. I guess he inherited his Grandpa's fishing prowess (it skips a generation..).

Obviously there are three huge rivers near the burgh, but can you fish in them, and eat the fish you catch? Catch and release is fine too. We love trout, but would love to catch walleye, perch, sunfish, bass, and.....dream of dreams.....northern pike. We have never seen a pike or muskellunge out here in Oregon. So, fisherpeople, what does Pittsburgh have to offer the angler?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2009, 09:49 PM

20,273 posts, read 32,859,479 times
So the rivers have really been cleaned up at this point, and in fact one of the biggest events in Pittsburgh this summer was the Forrest Wood Cup bass fishing tournament, and the Bassmaster Classic was held here a few years ago too. Anyway, there are definitely plenty of places you can just drop a line and fish for bass, walleye, catfish, and so on. I'm not sure about actually eating your catch.

And there are lots of places nearby for more serious fishing--Lake Erie, a bunch of stocked lakes, trout streams, and so on. There are plenty of fishing organizations around so I would hook up with one of them if you wanted lots of specific tips.

Old 10-21-2009, 11:10 PM

712 posts, read 1,959,638 times
Fishing below Kittanning, all you are going to catch is carp.

Sometimes a brown trout - if you know what I mean.

You are much better off to fish at a State Park or at a farmers pond or lake.

We went to feed the ducks last year at Pymatuning State Park last year and all that is in that lake is Suckers and Carp.

Old 10-21-2009, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by internet superman View Post

sometimes a brown trout - if you know what i mean.

lol!

Old 10-22-2009, 12:17 AM

77 posts, read 273,718 times
I love the mysteries of what could be in those rivers. As for fish, I always remember hearing locals talk about there being fish big enough to eat a person. I dont know how true this is but its still kinda interesting to think about.

Old 10-22-2009, 12:39 AM

I would expect some pretty big catfish, and carp. Doesn't seem like one of those bottomfeeders would eat ya, unless you had been "sleepin with the fishes" for a few weeks...

Old 10-22-2009, 07:27 AM

3,164 posts, read 6,669,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattm93 View Post
I love the mysteries of what could be in those rivers. As for fish, I always remember hearing locals talk about there being fish big enough to eat a person. I dont know how true this is but its still kinda interesting to think about.
Carp, which can grow to over 6 feet in length, are often the fish of tales that could "eat a human".

One place I have been meaning to research for fishing opportunities is North Park. I am told that there is a fly fishing only area where you can fish for Trout, which used to be one of my passions. I would love to get my wife in to fly fishing with me.

Old 10-22-2009, 07:43 AM

439 posts, read 1,467,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Internet Superman View Post
Fishing below Kittanning, all you are going to catch is carp.

Sometimes a brown trout - if you know what I mean.

You are much better off to fish at a State Park or at a farmers pond or lake.

We went to feed the ducks last year at Pymatuning State Park last year and all that is in that lake is Suckers and Carp.
Not sure they would hold Bass fishing tournaments in Pittsburgh's rivers if there was nothing to catch but carp and crap.....

Old 10-22-2009, 07:46 AM

43,011 posts, read 107,598,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrpriester View Post
I would love to get my wife in to fly fishing with me.
Buy her some waders for Christmas!

My husband introduced me to fly fishing 18 years ago. Love it! There's something about wearing the waders, hearing the water flow over the rocks, and seeing the sunshine filter through the leaves of the trees that makes everything seem right in the world!

We prefer going to the northern counties starting at Venango, but we have also fly fished some of the Allegheny County streams for a close weeknight activity when our children were younger.

Prior to meeting him, I always went lake fishing and I've fished the Allegheny a few times. I don't know many people who would keep the fish caught in the rivers closer to the city, but it's still enjoyable if you're into river fishing.

My friends ice fish in Erie every winter, but I've never tried it.

Old 10-22-2009, 07:51 AM

911 posts, read 2,366,579 times
i would not recommend eating anything out of the river
i have seen carp and catfish up to 3 to 4 feet long in our rivers

fishing the river is fun if you just want to catch big fish like cats and carps

once a while you may get a nice bass, pike, muskie, or trout or a car tire
or the monongahela monster (a joke) that no one ever seen but swears its in there, or the airplane that crashed in the river 50 years ago that no one ever found

lake wilhelm, lake pymatuning, and lake arthur are some nice fishing spots all north of pittsburgh
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh