U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 11-17-2009, 01:46 PM

367 posts, read 509,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bethany12 View Post
Actually, there are many cities that I have enjoyed living in. Pittsburgh is the only one I have come across where the people are liberal crazies stuck in the 70s. An example would be the mayor. Ravenstahl is a walking joke. The fact that he keeps getting re-elected is not a surprise.
Such a wonderful attitude. Happiness comes from within regardless of where you live.
Quick reply to this message

Unread 11-17-2009, 02:02 PM

67 posts, read 93,775 times
We're about to become the Yankees of Football. Let that digest.

Unread 11-17-2009, 03:54 PM

294 posts, read 366,372 times
To all the people complaining about the "Steelers Obsession", would you rather they be perennial losers like the browns?

Unread 11-17-2009, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SewickleyPA View Post
To all the people complaining about the "Steelers Obsession", would you rather they be perennial losers like the browns?

Hell No. No one wants to live in a town of losing sports teams.

Unread 11-17-2009, 04:50 PM

By next year....the Steelers will have surpassed the colts and the patriots.

Which means....we are going to be the team to BEAT.

The most storied professional football franchise in history.

Unread 11-17-2009, 04:52 PM

10 posts, read 8,327 times
Well Cincinnati proved that they are human. By the way, did anyone catch the NE and Indy game? Indy is winning the Superbowl this year! Maybe Minnesota can give them a run for their money.

Unread 11-17-2009, 04:56 PM

11,855 posts, read 8,617,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SewickleyPA View Post
I'd say most of us don't care about football one way or the other.

Unread 11-17-2009, 05:31 PM

294 posts, read 366,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bethany12 View Post
Yes, it is annoying. They take is so personally, as though the team were part of their family. It is pretty pathetic. I have lived in Dallas and Boston and those fans were realistic and reasonable. Pittsburgh fans make rednecks look cultured.
There is nothing more annoying than someone who makes sweeping generalizations over the internet.

Unread 11-17-2009, 06:32 PM

1,069 posts, read 600,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I try to make the Steelers obsession work for me. Sunday I took my car in to get inspected, and there was no one else at the shop because everyone was watching the game. I'm sure the mechanics weren't pleased that they actually had to work instead of listening to the game, but that's not my problem. I also try to do grocery shopping, go out to lunch/dinner (at a place that doesn't have TVs.) I even brave the mall to do some Christmas shopping during the game

haha! when i lived in pittsburgh, i waited until the evil, merciless, satanic sunday church crowd was fixed to their televisions at 1pm before i ventured out to WHAM, WHAM, and WHAM again - do all my errands in 1/2 the time they normally would!

believe me, i love the steelers. their organization is one of the classiest and most respected (ok, lets forget for a moment Reed's drunken adventures, and santonio holmes' 'baby picture') in pro sports. ive been a fan since 1977.

but ive been called a "******" when i admitted not watching a steeler game because i wanted to actually get out of the house and enjoy myself without traffic or headaches. gee, how lame am *I* that i didnt overload on kielbasa and beer and watch a game against some boring team like the chiefs.

but...that was then. NOW, its very hard NOT to want to watch them, since there is so much talent on that team, and they are defending the title, etc. (lets put sundays curious disappointment behind us, though)

Unread 11-17-2009, 06:45 PM

1,069 posts, read 600,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L.Funk View Post
Greetings,
...The Steelers great appeal began during the team excellence of the Bradshaw era and remains intact today with the Big Ben era !
oh dont kid yourself. lamar! the steelers were 9-7 in the year after their fourth Super Bowl. you would have thought the fans were actually insulted (i remember!). the neighbor's kid said to me "*I* can beat them in a race!". shuddup, you brat!

they went 8-8 the year after that, but then followed with 3 consecutive, but strange, playoff years.

ok, then the dull, boring years dawned on the team. medoicrity reigned. there was no real talent. the sellouts stopped - many fans were angry, then mocked them.

i remember standing on Smithfield street talking to Adam Lynch who held a microphone to me when i said "this city has no real loyalty and people are bandwagon fans".

it could be YEARS until the steelers falter and get bogged down with mediocre or losing seasons, but it can happen (look at oakland). but when they do, look out...you haters think pittsburgh is depressing NOW????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh