U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-26-2009, 10:23 PM

32 posts, read 33,316 times
Copanut, haha I don't actually know Crocodile Dundee, but my father was friends with him before he got famous. Too bad I've never met him.
I'm actually from the same area as Crocodile Dundee is from, but you won't find me to be remotely like him hahaa! Could be fun to dress up and pretend though.

ScranBarre, sounds like you and I have the same views. No care for anything fancy (although it doesn't hurt!), I just want to be there for a good time. I don't want to have to move overseas to have to struggle making payments and worrying if I can go to the bar or some event with friends.

Can I ask why the population has/continues to drop? If I'm correct, there's infrastructure built for a population bigger than there is currently.........so that means I shouldn't have a problem finding a job right? How about we date and I can be a stay-at-home boyfriend

I'll look into the South Side, Carson Area. Thanks for that recommendation.

BTW, I love American people, 1/2 my friends live in America!
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2009, 10:34 PM

20,274 posts, read 17,245,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheezymaneezy View Post
Can I ask why the population has/continues to drop?
So basically back in the 1980s there was mass contraction in a few formerly labor-intensive industries, most notably steel production. As a result, large numbers of jobs were lost, both directly and indirectly (indirectly because the industrial jobs were supporting other jobs). This job loss disproportionately affected young people, who either didn't have jobs yet or were low in seniority, and many young people had to leave to find work. But meanwhile, many of their parents and grandparents did not leave.

In the 1990s the direct effect pretty much wrapped up, meaning the relevant industries hit a bottom. But there continued to be an indirect effect, because over time those parents and grandparents started to die or migrate to retirement areas, and meanwhile their children were having their grandchildren elsewhere. The net result was an ongoing population loss.

But all this was bound to be temporary--really it was just a delayed reaction to the steel bust. And it appears that the effects have finally diminished to the point the population has leveled out, and may well be starting to climb again.

There are other parts to this story--for example, Pittsburgh hasn't been a popular place for international immigrants lately, and the U.S. is dependent on immigration for its population growth. But the big story is the steel bust, and the ripples of the steel bust that have taken a long time to diminish.

Old 10-27-2009, 07:39 AM

1 posts, read 897 times
I'll agree with other posters... there are TONS of jobs to be had in Pittsburgh and it is an absolutely amazing place to be for a young person. Don't listen to the other people who aren't actually young... I lived in Pittsburgh from ages of 22-25 and it was the best time of my life... partially because of the number of colleges in the city, the nightlife is geared towards it. You'd love the south side, but also check out oakland and shadyside
[url=http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/apa/]pittsburgh apts/housing for rent classifieds - craigslist[/url] is a good place to start looking for apartments. If you're willing to share a place (get a room in a house) then you can probably live in the south side for as little as $300/month

Old 10-27-2009, 07:55 AM

3,803 posts, read 2,731,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
(despite what some of the sheltered "yinzers" on this forum may say, nobody has battled TRUE traffic until it takes you an hour to go 7 miles, as it often does here in DC).
I just want to point out that while it is far from an everyday occurence, I have run into traffic like this. The worst one was a Saturday, the Oakland exit on I376 East was closed, Literally took 3 hours to get from downtown to Squirrel Hill. I think everytime I've run into traffic like that in Pittsburgh it has been construction related though, not sure if that is the case in DC.

Old 10-27-2009, 08:11 AM

2,424 posts, read 749,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarisnowday View Post
I just want to point out that while it is far from an everyday occurence, I have run into traffic like this. The worst one was a Saturday, the Oakland exit on I376 East was closed, Literally took 3 hours to get from downtown to Squirrel Hill. I think everytime I've run into traffic like that in Pittsburgh it has been construction related though, not sure if that is the case in DC.
That kind of delay is very rare. The only time it took me 3 hours to get home from down town(20mi) was in 03, when we had the "great flood". almost all the access roads to New Ken were flooded and closed. Other than that I've never had any major delay's.

Old 10-27-2009, 01:19 PM

32 posts, read 33,316 times
How is the weather in Pittsburgh? Is it very similar to NY or DC?

Is the greater city quite walkable, or is that really only downtown or the Southside?

When the sports seasons are on, what is the city like? I'm assuming there is a huge following because of the Steelers and Penguins. Is it expensive or difficult to get tickets to the games? Does any tailgating happen, or is that really more of a Southern thing?

Old 10-27-2009, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Probably a little closer to NY's than DC's. It's a good city if you like varied weather.

Quote:
Is the greater city quite walkable, or is that really only downtown or the Southside?
There are a lot more walkable neighborhoods and suburbs than just downtown and soutside, I'm not sure what you mean by the "greater city," but if walkable is what you're looking for, you'll have many options.

Quote:
When the sports seasons are on, what is the city like? I'm assuming there is a huge following because of the Steelers and Penguins.
I don't know what the city is like, I'm indoors watching the game like everyone else!

Quote:
Is it expensive or difficult to get tickets to the games? Does any tailgating happen, or is that really more of a Southern thing?
Pirates (baseball) tickets are very cheap, hockey and football are going to cost you quite a bit more though. And I know some tailgating happens, but I don't know to what extent, since I can't afford to go to any games!

Old 10-27-2009, 01:33 PM

564 posts, read 609,343 times
Pittsburgh weather is probably somewhere between DC and NYC weather. Summers are not nearly hot and humid as in DC (I can say from experience); winter is moderately colder (and cloudier) than DC, and I would GUESS that it's probably not quite as cold as NYC then.

Lots of neighborhoods are walkable, especially within city limits, and even some outside. There are also, of course, many areas within that are not ideal for walking. I think in general you can tell just by looking at a satellite photo, as you can usually see business districts/Main Streets and can also see areas where there are, for example, lots of vacant lots. You do of course have to overlay other info (such as which exactly neighborhoods might considered "unsafe")

Old 10-27-2009, 01:39 PM

Satellite photos don't always display the true steepness of hills either, making some areas look much more walkable than they really are.

Old 10-27-2009, 01:41 PM

20,274 posts, read 17,245,616 times
Quote:
A little closer to NYC than DC, but different from both due to being in the highlands off the coast. Using NYC for comparison, our highs throughout the year are very similar, but it gets 6-8 degrees cooler at night. NYC actually gets more precipitation throughout the year than Pittsburgh, but Pittsburgh has more days with at least some rain.

DC is a bit warmer (4-6 degrees for the highs, 7-9 for the lows), gets a little more precipitation August-April, less March-July, and again has fewer days with some rain.

Quote:
Pittsburgh has lots of walkable neighborhoods, but they are often separated from each other by rivers, valleys, ravines, hills, cliffs, and so forth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh