Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2010, 07:58 PM

75 posts, read 140,681 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShabbyChick View Post
There is a possibility we will be moving to Belle Vernon (never been there). Can anyone tell me about the area? Do you like living there? Things to do? Must see and do things in the surrounding areas? Thanks for your help and Happy Thanksgiving!
Belle Vernon is a very nice area. I live about ten minutes from there and worked as paramedic there for three years. Belle Vernon is kinda weird, the actually town of Belle Vernon is in Fayette County and consists of maybe 10 streets. There is Rostraver Twp, which is actually considered Belle Vernon and has a Belle Vernon zip code, it is in Westmoreland County. Rostraver Twp is a very nice area. There is a large business area right off of I-70 which has WalMart, Lowe's, several fast food restuarants, and a couple shopping plazas. Rostraver is a large township with some very upscale residential areas and some middle to low class residential areas. There is a place to live for just about everyone. There is a nice county park, Cedar Creek Park, that has a lot of picnic areas, ballfields, basketball courts, fishing area along the Yough River.

As for what to do and things to see, it depends on what your into. The closest mall is in Greensburg which is a half hour away. That is also where your closest movie theatre is.

If you give me some specifics for what your looking for, I can fill you in better.

Here are some websites to explore further....

http://www.rostraver.us/

http://www.co.westmoreland.pa.us/par...p?a=3&q=619307

http://www.greaterrostraverchamber.org/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2010, 01:25 PM

286 posts, read 678,098 times
Weather? The SUN seldom shines,even in summer,I believe the National Weather Bureau and other sources list 50 or 60 sunny days a year....225 days with wall to wall cloud cover,the remaining are partly cloudy.I do not believe in hurting people with incorrect data.Good Luck and God Bless you and your husband.....it is tough out there.

Old 06-05-2010, 01:45 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,743,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddesertfox View Post
Weather? The SUN seldom shines,even in summer,I believe the National Weather Bureau and other sources list 50 or 60 sunny days a year....225 days with wall to wall cloud cover,the remaining are partly cloudy.I do not believe in hurting people with incorrect data.Good Luck and God Bless you and your husband.....it is tough out there.
ZzZzZzZzZz...

Old 06-06-2010, 12:08 PM

8 posts, read 20,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creepsinc View Post
Better hurry. The Pittsburgh buzz has been growing over the past year.

Also, you can't be talking about Jacksonville, FL can you? Somewhere else, right? And what are crunchies?
LOL - oh yeah, better hurry! Someone might buy one of those rundown houses that are boarded up throughout the city! Hysterical.

Old 06-06-2010, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
Funny, I was just charting these data up last night. My comparison of Pittsburgh with Medford, Oregon showed they were very close in temperature for most of the year, but Pittsburgh is about 10 degrees colder from December to February, with a mean at 32 F or slightly below (snow, black ice, slush, yetch!). As you say, January is coldest, but in mean values and in the number of days with subzero temps, but I suspect all three months would be a challenge. In summer, the difference between July and August seem minimal.

So, I would expect the OP and spouse could get a feeling for the cold anytime from Dec. to Feb. and the heat from July-Aug. That said, my experience from living a number of cold and gloomy places is that February often feels like the worst, because folks are most fed up by then with months of cold and dark (sticking up for Hopes here, because climate perception is more personal and cumulative than absolute). My general impression of the data for Pittsburgh is that winter is not terribly long, compared to the lake states or rockies, but the cold PLUS the sustained winter cloudiness would be a bigger potential bother to a southerner. My decision years ago was that if I stay in the PNW (or move to Pittsburgh), I would plan a one week trip to some place sunny in Feb. That is when I personally get fed up. By March, lengthening days, green grass, flowers and the like rescue me from the winter malaise...

When does it feel like spring in Pittsburgh?
WHen I lived in PIttsburgh I never thought the weather was that bad. I couldn't stand the 300 days of cloudy skies, but temperature wise, it wasn't too bad.

Old 06-06-2010, 12:12 PM

419 posts, read 448,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MondayTuesdayWTF View Post
LOL - oh yeah, better hurry! Someone might buy one of those rundown houses that are boarded up throughout the city! Hysterical.
I burn the boards on my house in the winter time for heat, and then it creates even more of a cold draft. Its a crappy Catch 22.

Old 06-06-2010, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krath61078 View Post
Just remember a good job in Pittsburgh is hard to come by. Now if your in medical field you got it made here. Only if UPMC does not close another hospital. We moved here from TX over 3 years ago and it time for change. The weather here will take time to get used too. The driving.

Will be very hard to find a teaching job here. So many budget problems here. This is a very strong Union state also. The food prices here are very high. Milk prices are some of highest you find in the country. Very hard to buy food at places beside Giant Eagle. forget about eating out many places as we do not have many places as unions have kept them out.

Here some numbers for you Shreveport-Bossier City's jobless is 7.6. Pittsburgh is the highest it been in 23 years at 8.1 percent.

Allegheny County reached 7.5 percent. The highest rate since Gary Hart campaigned outside the Homestead mill in the mid 1980s.
At least SOMEBODY'S being honest here.
Sucks it didn't work out for you -- but you were coming from TEXAS! What did you expect??? Texas is wonderful!
I lived there for many years and loved every minute of it.
In fact, Pittsburgh is the ONLY city I've ever disliked living in.
I felt sorry for many people living here. Most were very kind.

Old 06-06-2010, 12:19 PM

419 posts, read 448,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MondayTuesdayWTF View Post
At least SOMEBODY'S being honest here.
Sucks it didn't work out for you -- but you were coming from TEXAS! What did you expect??? Texas is wonderful!
I lived there for many years and loved every minute of it.
In fact, Pittsburgh is the ONLY city I've ever disliked living in.
I felt sorry for many people living here. Most were very kind.
So is your whole deal just going around trying to offend and annoy people all day? Rock on dude. LOL.

Old 06-06-2010, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddesertfox View Post
Despite what 'some' people 'claim' or even try to 'support' with 'stats' --

PITTSBUGH IS NOT A VERY SUNNY PLACE. It's not in the fall, winter, spring or fall!

It would seem that is the sun appears for approximately 5 minutes -- it is considered a sunny day! Yay! Get a grip. It's not sunny nor is it even slightly sunny in Pittsburgh.

And TigerBeer - have you ever even BEEN to Pittsburgh? Because much of what you say seems to be said just to pacify the regulars. I think you will find that the suburbs of Detroit are WAAAAAAAY better than anything you will find around here. Even many areas of the city of Detroit are nicer than here. I'm just sayin'.......

Old 06-06-2010, 01:40 PM

1,045 posts, read 2,223,692 times
I've lived here for quite awhile and still amazed as to how many people visiting think Pittsburgh is an "empire" or "holy land". This year, it seems as everyone is coming to "the Burgh" as their destination spot, and I am not sure why. Have you seen the amount of tourists lately downtown?

I can think of 50 other places to go on vacation, and even if I never lived in Pittsburgh, it would not be in the 50 places I am thinking of to visit for a week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh