Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 10:54 PM

20,273 posts, read 32,877,652 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
How far do you have to go to get into real wild country? Now, I'm not talking get munched by a grizzly wild, but an area where you can hike for hours, climb mountain, float a river, see wildlife, camp, and enjoy nature with the dog? Someone coming from Colorado or New Mexico would be used to rugged, wildish country close at hand. The biggest fear we westerners have in going east is lack of elbow room..
There is a wide selection of state parks/forests within 1-2 hours in virtually all directions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2009, 10:58 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,704,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
One hour to hike for hours, float rivers, etc. Three hours to get munched by a black bear.

LOL! Truth be told, I have heard that more people run into problems with black bears than grizzlies. I guess those are folks that try to grab back the peanut butter sandwich or something...

Colorado has no griz either, but lots of prairie dogs with bubonic plague....

Old 10-27-2009, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impala26 View Post
Well, you hit on the fact about seasons. Pittsburgh definitely experiences all four seasons. However, even in comparison to major east coast cities, I would say that our seasons are more moderate. What I mean is that at least in terms of snow and inclement weather, our winters are generally not as bad as the east coast, Appalachia, even Great Lake cities like Cleveland and Buffalo. Our summers are more moderate too. While we often have the classic humidity, temps have only gone near or above 90 degrees only a handful of times each of the last few summers.

In my opinion, the city has a more "European" feel than most US cities. There are a lot of close-knit walkable neighborhoods within a few miles of Downtown. Most of these neighborhoods are well over a century old, and many have retained their Gothic churches, Classical storefronts/banks/libraries/post offices, Victorian townhouses, and quaint rowhouses. The area is (in)famous for its rolling hills. No city I have visited in the U.S. is like that in this regard and it definitely gives the region a definitive character.

We have our share of suburbs too, but even those tend to have some individual character as well. If you're looking for something suburban, I would recommend Penn Hills or the South Hills. However, I'm sure someone could easily recommend the North Hills or some other suburbs.

I'm still a student myself, so living closer to the city is ideal for me. However, even after I'm done with school I will probably likely remain close to the city. I grew up in a very "rural" suburb, so being able to walk/bike to so many places has been an eye-opening experience. I'm currently living in South Oakland, I have no car and I have gotten by entirely fine without one. Oakland and South Side are predominantly younger residents. Based on what you've told me I would definitely suggest to check out Squirrel Hill, Edgewood, Mount Washington, Mount Lebanon, Aspinwall, and Oakmont. I would say most of these are middle-class neighborhoods, but again each is unique in their own accord.

I wish you the best of luck in your search!
I love this description Impala! Tried to rep you,but need to spread it around it seems. I tell you, the more I learn, the more excited about your town I get. Nice to find the proverbial diamond in the rough...

Old 10-27-2009, 11:08 PM

43,011 posts, read 107,645,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
LOL! Truth be told, I have heard that more people run into problems with black bears than grizzlies. I guess those are folks that try to grab back the peanut butter sandwich or something...
No. Those are stupid idiots who keep peanut butter sandwiches in their tents!

I've had two black bear experiences---once Pennsylvania's Kinzua State Park and the other in the Adirondack Mountains.

Funny stories. I'll have to share them sometime. For now, let's just say I'm very good at scaring bears away!

Old 10-27-2009, 11:09 PM

20,273 posts, read 32,877,652 times
Black bears are generally more prone to just running away than grizzlies, but on the other hand if they are coming after you, it is more likely to be predation than defensive, so "playing dead" is not such a hot idea.

Old 10-28-2009, 07:23 PM

I do recall as a 10 y.o. boy, my Mom took us camping at Yosemite NP. The black bears ripped the door right off a car in in the parking lot in search of some kid's candy bar. I was pretty darn impressed by that feat! How cool! Since then, I have met enough surly black bears that I give them plenty of room. They are like very large and ferocious dogs, most are afraid, but not all. I have heard that up in SE Alaska, the black bears are bad news, and they have to be to hold their own with the brown bears.

Last edited by Fiddlehead; 10-28-2009 at 08:09 PM..

Old 11-24-2009, 02:21 PM

5 posts, read 12,415 times
Well this was a timely thread for me to happen into - I'm a single middle aged (44) guy - gay, but not necessarily seeking out a neighborhood on that basis as I'm pretty much small town industrial eastern Ohio boy all the way. I explored PIT last Thanksgiving, but my move was delayed by the economy, etc. Where I live in Boston, my higher salary, debt free status and a huge savings aren't enough to make a serious dent in the still ridiculously priced homes within a sane commuting distance to my current job. I'm an accountant with an MBA and see myself working either downtown or out in the north or west burbs (more likely the latter places). I know no place is perfect, but is there a best location if one had to commute west or north, but still be close to the center of the city? I am considering buying (condo or small home), but not looking to pay a fortune and I do have a realistic view of what you can get for around $100-$125K. I've seen some decent to nice 2BR condos and even small houses in that price range in some towns. The recruiter I met with (young PIT native) said live north - I took that to mean that commuting by auto is worse from the south side areas, unless you work downtown and can take the T?

I would greatly appreciate any opinions on the following areas and suggested alternatives:
Ross Park/North Hills - Proximity to shopping, suburbia but still close enough to downtown
Bellevue/West View - Very close to downtown, affordable vs iffy spots within, air pollution from river factories?
Mt Lebanon/Dormont/Upper St Clair - Also close to downtown, but bad car commute to the west or north?

Many thanks!

Old 11-24-2009, 05:28 PM

323 posts, read 831,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norseman4711 View Post
both very descriptive and the kind of information I am looking for...

So, here's the big question..for a "westerner" moving to Pittsburgh, will I feel out of place? Having spent some time in the south and being a "yankee", I notice that southerners are polite but I don't feel a part of the "culture" if you will...

Also, I have heard great things about the economy...compared to the rest of the nation Pittsburgh is doing well...any thoughts?
Top 10 List needed "to fit in" at Pittsburgh:

1. There is no other football team besides the Steelers. Violence may ensue if you express interest in another team.
2. You need to be familiar with the Catholic Church.
3. You have to love the 70s.
4. You have to love bad food and bad beer.
5. You have to love cities that passed their prime 50 years ago.
6. Memorize a map before you try to drive. Nothing is marked. People don't go by street names here, they give directions by landmarks. I won't even bring up the road system - it needs its own top 10.
7. You have to love the elderly and college kids. Everyone else knows better and leaves.
8. You have to be married multiple times and/or you have to have multiple baby mamas/daddies.
9. Memorize this Pittsburgh Motto: Pollution only matters in the direction the wind blows.
10. It's all about the kickbacks.

Old 11-24-2009, 05:43 PM

12,529 posts, read 17,446,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bethany12 View Post
Top 10 List needed "to fit in" at Pittsburgh:

1. There is no other football team besides the Steelers. Violence may ensue if you express interest in another team.

You exaggerate, I cheer The Pittsburgh Passion.

2. You need to be familiar with the Catholic Church.

I see that church on my way to the Presby one.

3. You have to love the 70s.

I hate the seventies, lousy clothes, bad music, STDs. Damn, I was in my 20's then.

4. You have to love bad food and bad beer.

Not true, just avoid Primanti's

5. You have to love cities that passed their prime 50 years ago.

So other than Boston, NY, LA, Philly, and Phoenix, what City do you recommend?

6. Memorize a map before you try to drive. Nothing is marked. People don't go by street names here, they give directions by landmarks. I won't even bring up the road system - it needs its own top 10.

Learn to love the Belts. Memorize where all the Kroger's used to be and you'll be fine.

7. You have to love the elderly and college kids. Everyone else knows better and leaves.

So, in say, 30 years, with no college kids staying, and the elderly dying, Pgh will be vacant?

8. You have to be married multiple times and/or you have to have multiple baby mamas/daddies.

Measure twice, cut once. Don't know what the heck you're talking about.

9. Memorize this Pittsburgh Motto: Pollution only matters in the direction the wind blows.

Give me smoke, it means jobs, real jobs, not these lame a$$ coffee shop jobs that pay 5 bucks/hour.

10. It's all about the kickbacks.

Won't argue that one, but what City/County/State govt doesn't do that?

I hope wherever you're moving, it works out. You sound miserable living in the Burg.

Old 11-24-2009, 06:43 PM

254 posts, read 588,858 times
I think many others have said it right....Pittsburgh is unique. If you are wondering how you may feel as a 'Westerner' in an Eastern city, relax. Pittsburgh is not the East Coast. It really has its own identity. I was born in Philly, but grew up in Pittsburgh. My Philly relatives think of Pittsburgh as 'out West'. It's quirky. Downtown is like a little chunk of Manhattan - dense, lots of people on the sidewalks, old buildings , new and everything in between. And yet, by car, you can be in the country in a short amount of time. I think people there are great. Mostly very genuine and sincere.

And by the way..I live in Florida, but can't wait to escape here. I would love to move back to Pittsburgh. I'll take the cold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh