Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 06:01 AM

15 posts, read 30,143 times

Advertisements

Okay, same old thread but with a new twist! I am a 53 year old man who has lived in a number of places in the US, primarily in the West (Colorado, New Mexico) for the last 25 plus years...

I am single, straight, no kids and in search of a place to call home...have given thought to Florida but the idea of hot temps all year around would drive me and my lab nuts...coming from Colorado, I like 4 seasons and alot of outdoor recreation...yet like the offerings of an urban environment...

I have heard great things about Pittsburgh and am just starting to research the area...so, any input from others who are in a similar situation (single, middle aged, etc) would be useful...

I am looking at moving permenantly...so, how friendly is Pittsburgh...what are some nice neighborhoods (middle class) to live?

Anything to get me on track would be useful...and thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2009, 12:27 PM

875 posts, read 1,484,014 times
Well, you hit on the fact about seasons. Pittsburgh definitely experiences all four seasons. However, even in comparison to major east coast cities, I would say that our seasons are more moderate. What I mean is that at least in terms of snow and inclement weather, our winters are generally not as bad as the east coast, Appalachia, even Great Lake cities like Cleveland and Buffalo. Our summers are more moderate too. While we often have the classic humidity, temps have only gone near or above 90 degrees only a handful of times each of the last few summers.

In my opinion, the city has a more "European" feel than most US cities. There are a lot of close-knit walkable neighborhoods within a few miles of Downtown. Most of these neighborhoods are well over a century old, and many have retained their Gothic churches, Classical storefronts/banks/libraries/post offices, Victorian townhouses, and quaint rowhouses. The area is (in)famous for its rolling hills. No city I have visited in the U.S. is like that in this regard and it definitely gives the region a definitive character.

We have our share of suburbs too, but even those tend to have some individual character as well. If you're looking for something suburban, I would recommend Penn Hills or the South Hills. However, I'm sure someone could easily recommend the North Hills or some other suburbs.

I'm still a student myself, so living closer to the city is ideal for me. However, even after I'm done with school I will probably likely remain close to the city. I grew up in a very "rural" suburb, so being able to walk/bike to so many places has been an eye-opening experience. I'm currently living in South Oakland, I have no car and I have gotten by entirely fine without one. Oakland and South Side are predominantly younger residents. Based on what you've told me I would definitely suggest to check out Squirrel Hill, Edgewood, Mount Washington, Mount Lebanon, Aspinwall, and Oakmont. I would say most of these are middle-class neighborhoods, but again each is unique in their own accord.

I wish you the best of luck in your search!

Old 10-27-2009, 12:44 PM

2,420 posts, read 4,697,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Impala26 View Post
Well, you hit on the fact about seasons. Pittsburgh definitely experiences all four seasons. However, even in comparison to major east coast cities, I would say that our seasons are more moderate. What I mean is that at least in terms of snow and inclement weather, our winters are generally not as bad as the east coast, Appalachia, even Great Lake cities like Cleveland and Buffalo. Our summers are more moderate too. While we often have the classic humidity, temps have only gone near or above 90 degrees only a handful of times each of the last few summers.

In my opinion, the city has a more "European" feel than most US cities. There are a lot of close-knit walkable neighborhoods within a few miles of Downtown. Most of these neighborhoods are well over a century old, and many have retained their Gothic churches, Classical storefronts/banks/libraries/post offices, Victorian townhouses, and quaint rowhouses. The area is (in)famous for its rolling hills. No city I have visited in the U.S. is like that in this regard and it definitely gives the region a definitive character.

We have our share of suburbs too, but even those tend to have some individual character as well. If you're looking for something suburban, I would recommend Penn Hills or the South Hills. However, I'm sure someone could easily recommend the North Hills or some other suburbs.

I'm still a student myself, so living closer to the city is ideal for me. However, even after I'm done with school I will probably likely remain close to the city. I grew up in a very "rural" suburb, so being able to walk/bike to so many places has been an eye-opening experience. I'm currently living in South Oakland, I have no car and I have gotten by entirely fine without one. Oakland and South Side are predominantly younger residents. Based on what you've told me I would definitely suggest to check out Squirrel Hill, Edgewood, Mount Washington, Mount Lebanon, Aspinwall, and Oakmont. I would say most of these are middle-class neighborhoods, but again each is unique in their own accord.

I wish you the best of luck in your search!
Excellent description!

I should add that most of the "suburbs" here (with obvious exceptions like Cranberry and Monroeville) are more like close-in streetcar suburbs that resemble either small towns (which they technically are) or urban neighborhoods that are an extension of the city. Pittsburgh has the most tolerable suburbs I've ever seen, and I'd even live in several of them, when usually I'd rather be dead than live in "suburbia".

Old 10-27-2009, 02:43 PM

15 posts, read 30,143 times
Default wow...thanks for the insights...

both very descriptive and the kind of information I am looking for...

So, here's the big question..for a "westerner" moving to Pittsburgh, will I feel out of place? Having spent some time in the south and being a "yankee", I notice that southerners are polite but I don't feel a part of the "culture" if you will...

Also, I have heard great things about the economy...compared to the rest of the nation Pittsburgh is doing well...any thoughts?

Old 10-27-2009, 02:45 PM

1,719 posts, read 4,170,244 times
Don't get me wrong man, I love the 'Burgh. But, Colorado is just plain better than here. It is sunny all of the time, there are beautiful women everywhere, everybody is happy, and the Mountains are about an hour away. You should probably just stay out there.

But....if you must move here then there are things to consider - city or suburbs? I think that Pittsburgh's suburbs are more interesting than Denver's. Denver has a very bland and homogenous cookie-cutter vibe in its suburbs. But, the Denver areas where stuff is going on (Colfax, 16th St. Mall, and LoDo) are better than Pittsburgh's in my opinion.

Pittsburgh has amenities, but it isn't really a major city - it is more like a big town. It is relatively safe and cheap to live here though. And, there is that famous Pittsburgh charm.

You should come to visit before you make the plunge however.

Old 10-27-2009, 02:53 PM

20,273 posts, read 32,898,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norseman4711 View Post
So, here's the big question..for a "westerner" moving to Pittsburgh, will I feel out of place? Having spent some time in the south and being a "yankee", I notice that southerners are polite but I don't feel a part of the "culture" if you will...
The South is pretty unique in terms of its cultural consciousness and oppositional interactions with the rest of the country. I think you would find some differences in Pittsburgh, but also wouldn't find it too hard to identify and associate with like-minded people. I don't want to spout a bunch of stereotypes of Westerners, but if, for example, you were a sort of green/outdoorsy type, you could certainly find people like that in Pittsburgh.

Quote:
Also, I have heard great things about the economy...compared to the rest of the nation Pittsburgh is doing well...any thoughts?
It is a complex topic, but Pittsburgh has developed a fairly diverse economy that wasn't very dependent on housing, and that has served us well recently. Overall, I'd say the economy is pretty good for people with the right skills/education, less so for people without.

Old 10-27-2009, 09:50 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,273,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norseman4711 View Post
both very descriptive and the kind of information I am looking for...

Maybe. There's a difference in cultures that's hard to put your finger on.

I disagree about the Pittsburgh suburbs being a lot like little towns. There are a few like that (Mt. Lebanon, Sewickley), but many are "townships" that are typical suburbia.

Old 10-27-2009, 09:53 PM

1,139 posts, read 2,487,461 times
And the farther out you go...the more the suburbs become "rural suburbia" ...amenities and housing separated by back roads and country

Old 10-27-2009, 10:37 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,709,192 times
Ok, a question within a thread, but I think it is germane to Norseman's query.

How far do you have to go to get into real wild country? Now, I'm not talking get munched by a grizzly wild, but an area where you can hike for hours, climb mountain, float a river, see wildlife, camp, and enjoy nature with the dog? Someone coming from Colorado or New Mexico would be used to rugged, wildish country close at hand. The biggest fear we westerners have in going east is lack of elbow room..

Old 10-27-2009, 10:50 PM

43,011 posts, read 107,687,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
How far do you have to go to get into real wild country? Now, I'm not talking get munched by a grizzly wild, but an area where you can hike for hours, climb mountain, float a river, see wildlife, camp, and enjoy nature with the dog? Someone coming from Colorado or New Mexico would be used to rugged, wildish country close at hand. The biggest fear we westerners have in going east is lack of elbow room..
One hour to hike for hours, float rivers, etc. Three hours to get munched by a black bear.

You'd have to drive for a few days to get munched by a grizzly since Pennsylvania doesn't have them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh