Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2010, 07:13 AM

82 posts, read 265,149 times

Advertisements

Can anyone recommend a nice pet shop within or near the city? My daughter is looking for her first pet so I want to take her shopping and help her make a responsible decision. We already told her it won't be a kitty, puppy or pony.

I'm not fond of Petco, Petsmart or Petland since I have had bad luck and don't think the knowledge base of the employees or the overall health of their pets is that great. Plus, they tend to have a very small selection. If anyone knows of a shop that has a good selection let me know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2010, 08:42 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,540,264 times
Hm, I can't think of any in the city or too near, but I'm sure I don't know all of them. Smiley's Pet Pad, on Highland Ave, I was thinking might have had a few small pets and/or birds in there, but the web site says at this point they do supplies only. You could call and check. I've bought cat food there a few times. I distinctly remember there being birds, but it's been several months since I was last in there so they may have gotten out of that fairly recently.

There is a Petland in the city, in East Liberty by Trader Joe's, but I highly recommend NOT going to Petland, ever. Other chains like Petsmart and Petco at least know better than to sell dogs and cats (instead partnering with local shelters to have cats and occasionally dogs in the stores), but AFAIK Petland has still not given that up.

You say no cat/dog which of course if you were looking for those I would suggest one of the shelters. If you are considering a rabbit, though, all three main Pittsburgh shelters have rabbits, and the Animal Rescue League and Humane Society appear to have occasional others, like ferrets. (I don't know that Animal Friends goes beyond dogs, cats and rabbits.)

I don't have any other direct suggestions, but I may find something if I dig a little more.

Old 09-05-2010, 12:11 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,826,539 times
What are you getting her, a bird?

Old 09-05-2010, 12:56 PM

475 posts, read 568,163 times
I vote hamster.

Old 09-05-2010, 02:01 PM

I mean, if it's a bird, I have a friend who knows all about bird sellers. He doesn't know a thing about hamsters, however.

Why so cryptic in the first place?

Old 09-05-2010, 04:14 PM

475 posts, read 568,163 times
Who was cryptic? They're likely taking the kid to the shop and saying "Okay make the choice yourself!"

Old 09-05-2010, 05:15 PM

3,131 posts, read 9,337,289 times
Elmer's in Monroeville.

Old 09-05-2010, 05:21 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,540,264 times
Yeah I don't think it was cryptic. Sounds like want to give daughter the choice within certain parameters (no ponies, hehe). Seems like it's going to be tough to have too many choices outside one of the big stores. Dunno. My favorite shop is Leone Animal Supply, but AFAIK they don't sell any pets, just supplies and foods.

BTW, if you go searching you might find reference to West Hills Pet Center being voted best store. I wasn't impressed with that place at all, though. I'd sooner get a small pet from Petsmart really.

Burton's Total Pet, which is a smaller chain (many locations used to be Pet Supplies Plus, including one not too far from the city on McKnight Rd), is not bad. They have some fish, some birds and some other small animals in the stores (most often see ferrets and/or rabbits, but I haven't been in there in months since the food I get all comes from Leone's now).

Elmer's just mentioned above does seem like a good bet. I haven't actually been there. They used to have a north hills shop too, which I visited once that I can remember, but that closed years ago. Always seemed to be very focused on fish but appears to be a decently run shop. It says the hamster and gerbils and rabbits are locally bred, for example. Sounds good. Not in the city but if you have to drive one place, seems worth it.

My first non-fish pet when I was a kid was a parakeet. I'd say the furry kind like a hamster would be more fun, but that's just me. Maybe because I didn't have one back then? I made up for it by getting a cat!

Old 09-05-2010, 06:46 PM

I misunderstood what she wrote. Sorry.

In any case, if the OP's daughter does decide she wants a bird, PM me, and I'll pass your info along to my bird-loving friend.

Old 09-05-2010, 07:13 PM

439 posts, read 1,467,699 times
Elmer's in monroeville
Wet Pets in Peters twp
Aquaworld on 65 in Emsworth

Wet Pets is the nicest if them, but most pricey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh