Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 09:53 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,542,794 times

Advertisements

I'm somewhat leaning toward Philly since Ryan Howard is a stand-up guy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2009, 10:09 AM

Location: Just East of the Southern Portion of the Western Part of PA
1,272 posts, read 3,707,362 times
Huge Pirates fan (unfortunately).

I gotta root for the Phills because:

1) They are in the National League.

2) The Yankees represent everything that is wrong with baseball.

Old 10-29-2009, 10:10 AM

1,519 posts, read 2,674,806 times
Philly. Due more to Yankees hate than Phillies love, however. And we need to keep all of the championships in Pennsylvania again this year.

Old 10-29-2009, 10:34 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,542,794 times
Yes, but Rendell is a Philly fan, and he is evil.

Old 10-29-2009, 11:32 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,893,724 times
The Phillies just for the PA factor....

Old 10-29-2009, 02:59 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,817,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
How do you think Cleveland feels. The starting pitchers were both former Indians.

I hate both teams with the edge to the Yankees. I hope it goes 7 games with the temps in the 30's.
yeah that's gotta hurt.
what's wrong with the Phillies? they've put together a good team th eold fashioned way, a farm system with some key acquisitions. they're all good people, no big scandals, they spend time where they play ball. the Pirates should study what they've done, they've turned around (for now) a franchise with a long, long losing history. now they're up 1-0 on a team with a $100 million more on the payroll. Most people seem to dislike the Phillies more because of some impression of Philly fans (accurate or not)than the team itself. I tend to think Phillies fans are the best of the Philadelphia's fans. Most Philadelphians i know root for the steelers, even if quietly, since it's better that a Pennsylvania team wins.

I thought this was pretty accurate, a buddy sent it to me
Quote:
And, at last, Pittsburgh. It's a wonderful town. Like people here, they talk funny. Like people here, they eat funny: "Eat a Primanti!" everyone tells me with all the passion of a Philadelphian plugging cheeseteak. The sandwich's defining characteristic? French fries on the sandwich. Yup. To our South Street they offer East Carson Street, an insane 22 blocks or so of bars and eats. To our Italian Market they offer the Strip District. The parallels are remarkable. We ought to set up an exchange program.
Quote:
To get home, I rent a car. It's an expensive decision. So I throw a last-second ad on Craigslist and wind up driving home with Topher, a University of Pittsburgh student who tells me on the phone that he is in "dire need" of the ride — that he simply must get to Philadelphia.
Death in the family? The love of his life about to leave forever?
"My friend's been planning this bar crawl on South Street since August," he explains in the car. "It's gonna be epic. "
Go West, Young Man :: News :: Philadelphia City Paper :: Philadelphia Events, Arts, Restaurants, Music, Movies, Jobs, Classifieds, Blogs

Old 10-29-2009, 03:14 PM

875 posts, read 1,489,683 times
The Phillies are probably the city's least-hate-able teams from a Pittsburgh perspective. Philly sports fans are what they are, but the Phillies organization is truly a great model for a baseball franchise and they have reasonable, likable players.

NYC is a wonderful town, but I generally can't stand anything related to the Yanks. That's a systemic view due to of course about their bloated payroll and the fact that their fans seem to feel like it's their God-given right to win the Series whenever we start a new season.

Old 10-29-2009, 03:21 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,152,053 times
How many people actually care about the world series with the football and hockey season?

Old 10-29-2009, 03:42 PM

22,587 posts, read 47,649,975 times
Can't root for the Yankees EVER!
Can't root for any team in Philadelphia...

so Let's Go Pens!

Seriously, we like baseball but don't care for either team, so we're not even watching the Series.

Old 10-29-2009, 03:44 PM

294 posts, read 659,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny C View Post
Huge Pirates fan (unfortunately).

I gotta root for the Phills because:

1) They are in the National League.

2) The Yankees represent everything that is wrong with baseball.

This.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh