U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 09:52 AM

6 posts, read 23,668 times
Default Area Restaurants Serving Thanksgiving Dinner

I’m looking for a (not too expensive) restaurant that serves a Thanksgiving dinner buffet. Two years ago we went to a hotel in Cranberry and paid $45 a plate which I thought was a bit expensive once you added tax/tip ($185 for 3 of us), especially for my daughter who probably ate a couple bites of turkey, a few spoonfuls of potatoes, and 2 rolls. I would prefer the north of Pittsburgh but it doesn’t have to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2009, 10:22 AM

42,607 posts, read 47,961,058 times
Here's a list of restaurants serving Thanksgiving dinner along with caterers if you'd like to eat at home:

Thanksgiving Dinner in Pittsburgh - Restaurants Open for Thanksgiving Dinner or Buffet

Old 10-29-2009, 10:42 AM

1,310 posts, read 2,011,059 times
You could try good old Cracker Barrel. It's not a buffet of course, but they offer a Thanksgiving dinner special for only about $10 a plate. It came with a big piece of pumpkin pie too.

Old 10-29-2009, 11:27 AM

826 posts, read 1,072,884 times
We always go to one of the following restaurants each year;
Sheraton Station Square
Crowne Plaza Pgh Airport
Fox Chapel Yacht Club
Grand Concourse

All have had a great buffet any time we went and usually between $18-29 per person for everything including soups, salads, entrees, desserts, and beverage. Always remember they tend to add their own set gratuity on Thanksgiving and Christmas (18%) which I have been always against because some servers don't deserve it. It gets pretty bad when you have to chase them down for water. LOL

We did go to Holiday Inn North Hills one year. It was pretty good, had all the fixins, and it was $18-22 from what I remember. Not sure if they have it anymore as it was a few years ago that we went.

Last edited by Benzman66; 10-29-2009 at 12:22 PM..

Old 10-29-2009, 01:01 PM

Location: Just East of the Southern Portion of the Western Part of PA
1,057 posts, read 1,981,647 times
Sheetz!

Old 10-29-2009, 03:23 PM

3,882 posts, read 3,413,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzman66 View Post
We always go to one of the following restaurants each year;
Sheraton Station Square
Crowne Plaza Pgh Airport
Fox Chapel Yacht Club
Grand Concourse

All have had a great buffet any time we went and usually between $18-29 per person for everything including soups, salads, entrees, desserts, and beverage. Always remember they tend to add their own set gratuity on Thanksgiving and Christmas (18%) which I have been always against because some servers don't deserve it. It gets pretty bad when you have to chase them down for water. LOL

We did go to Holiday Inn North Hills one year. It was pretty good, had all the fixins, and it was $18-22 from what I remember. Not sure if they have it anymore as it was a few years ago that we went.
I think it is still around at the North Hills Holiday Inn. But that would never be for me.

Old 10-29-2009, 06:11 PM

9,883 posts, read 9,599,501 times
Just be aware, that About.com list has not been updated for this year (but may have been current for last year, so pretty close). One change is that Opus at the Ren is not there any more; they've changed up the restaurant. It's also not a full listing. P-G should have a listing soon; the restaurant critic mentioned this on Twitter yesterday. Here is last year's P-G list: Dining: The turkey search

I have eaten at Hyeholde for Thanksgiving, which, if you've already paid $45 a plate, I guarantee would be better than what you had at that hotel for less money. Grand Concourse is always open, but it will be a zoo for sure.

It's not a big area for lots of restaurants being open, outside of hotels. I'm trying to think of what else might be open for that day. I only researched this for one year, I think, when my dad was here for that weekend. We otherwise don't bother with a particular special dinner.

Old 10-29-2009, 06:27 PM

1,104 posts, read 1,496,766 times
I know this isn't exactly eating out but Boston Market has some great Thanksgiving dinners if you don't mind just eating at home. It's going to cost you about $60 for four people ($90 for up to 10) but it comes with a LOT of food, you get the turkey, stuffing, potatoes, various sides, pretty much everything you need.

Old 10-31-2009, 07:58 PM

9,883 posts, read 9,599,501 times
Just noticing, it may pay to check out some of these things depending upon the age of your daughter. A lot of the places in the old P-G article (still waiting for the new list) note that they're free for children 4 or 5 and under and half price or less for those up to 12. That may help ease the cost of something like the Grand Concourse or Hyeholde. The food at Hyeholde was very good, have to say. If you do go, you may wish to reserve in the older area of the building as opposed to the Round Room which is more generic. (They will offer times in both when you call, so you'll have to choose. I sat in the Round Room, but others who have been tell me it's the older room(s) that make the Hyeholde setting more interesting.)

I do remember in digging around 2-3 years ago, whenever that was I went, that I didn't find anything in the north suburbs open. I was purposely not checking hotels with fairly generic restaurants, though. I suppose some of those do serve that day.

Apart from the Boston Market stuff (which I've had before several years ago, not bad), I think the ready-to-cook(heat) deals probably won't come out too well for just 3 people. I get a newsletter from the Freedom Square Diner in Cranberry, where they are offering such a thing again. It costs $125 for the package. I'm guessing it would feed a lot, with 18lb turkey, etc. but overkill for 3.

Old 11-01-2009, 04:16 AM

2,424 posts, read 843,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny C View Post
Sheetz!
Yea, a turkey sammitch with mayo, mmmmmmmm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh