U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
Old 11-01-2009, 06:43 PM
 
485 posts, read 891,390 times
Reputation: 144
Default Light towers from Pitt Stadium

I was goofing around on Google Maps' Street View a couple of weeks ago, and I happened to notice that 2 of the old light towers from Pitt Stadium are still standing (on the uphill side of the Peterson Events Center). I did not know this prior to stumbling upon it.

A Pitt grad buddy of mine called the University and confirmed that the towers are, in fact, from the old stadium, and they are still used today during evening events at the Peterson Event Center. It's true.

Does anyone else find this interesting? Jump into Street View and check it out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-01-2009, 10:11 PM
 
Location: Pittsburgh
1,758 posts, read 2,328,828 times
Reputation: 520
I went to street view can see two light towers on Stadium Drive. It looks like these are not in the exact place as they used to be. They were dismantled and put across the street and re-wired. That makes sense, considering the number of students living up there and the number of students and fans attending events at the Pete.

http://maps.google.com/?q=loc:+84th+...4.29,,0,-21.81
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2009, 11:16 AM
 
485 posts, read 891,390 times
Reputation: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuwaver88 View Post
I went to street view can see two light towers on Stadium Drive. It looks like these are not in the exact place as they used to be. They were dismantled and put across the street and re-wired. That makes sense, considering the number of students living up there and the number of students and fans attending events at the Pete.

loc: 84th Miami Beach FL US - Google Maps
In looking at old pictures of the Stadium, it almost looks to me as if the light towers were on the other side of Stadium Drive all along. I could be wrong, but that's the way it appears on the pics I'm seeing. What do you think?

http://www.talkingshat.com/images/pitt%20stadium/pitt%20stadium%20demo/pitt%20stadium%20-%20demo_4.jpg (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2009, 12:18 PM
 
Location: Pittsburgh
1,758 posts, read 2,328,828 times
Reputation: 520
Quote:
Originally Posted by bboy36win View Post
In looking at old pictures of the Stadium, it almost looks to me as if the light towers were on the other side of Stadium Drive all along. I could be wrong, but that's the way it appears on the pics I'm seeing. What do you think?

http://www.talkingshat.com/images/pitt%20stadium/pitt%20stadium%20demo/pitt%20stadium%20-%20demo_4.jpg (broken link)

In your picture, the one in the foreground looks like it may be in the same space as the one that is further away in my steet view. The one further away in your picture looks like it was definetely moved one hundred and fifty yards or so to the west. That is the one in the foregound in my picture.

In this new street view, the one in your background on that winter's day no longer exists. It would have been in front of that green mini-van about fifty yards. In fact, they re-routed that street and added green space. It looks different now on the upper campus. http://maps.google.com/?q=loc:+84th+...,132.75,,0,3.8
If you fiddle with your mouse, you can see that it was moved to the opposite side of the Pete, approx. 150 yards away. The other one looks like it is in the same place.

Last edited by nuwaver88; 11-02-2009 at 12:30 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2009, 03:56 PM
 
485 posts, read 891,390 times
Reputation: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuwaver88 View Post
In your picture, the one in the foreground looks like it may be in the same space as the one that is further away in my steet view. The one further away in your picture looks like it was definetely moved one hundred and fifty yards or so to the west. That is the one in the foregound in my picture.

In this new street view, the one in your background on that winter's day no longer exists. It would have been in front of that green mini-van about fifty yards. In fact, they re-routed that street and added green space. It looks different now on the upper campus. loc: 84th Miami Beach FL US - Google Maps
If you fiddle with your mouse, you can see that it was moved to the opposite side of the Pete, approx. 150 yards away. The other one looks like it is in the same place.
Here's a good one: in this pic, you can count a total of 6 towers. The 2 furthest away are gone. Of the 4 in the foreground, I'm thinking the one on the far right (by the corner of Fitgerald Field House) is definitely still there. And I'm gonna guess and say the second from the left is still standing, as well.

http://posted.post-gazette.com/images/100081/photos/2008/09/22/gallery/231438.jpg (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2009, 05:17 PM
 
485 posts, read 891,390 times
Reputation: 144
Am I weird, or is this interesting?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:05 PM.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top