Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 08:44 AM

20 posts, read 54,482 times

Advertisements

I am researching relocation to Pittsburgh in the future, and as an RN, want some information regarding the local hospitals...both urban and suburban. A few years ago we made a blind move to Shreveport, LA and I switched jobs (hospitals) every few months before finding a good fit. Ugh.

Not wanting to make THAT mistake again, I would like some information regarding the different healthcare facilities in Pittsburgh. I haven't done much research beyond figuring out where the trauma center is...is UPMC Mercy the one? Most of my background is at larger, level I teaching facilities in ER/ICU and I would like to continue in that trend. However, I would like to know what facilities have "good" reputations...both in the public eye and from a healthcare worker's opinion. Where would you take your grandma for a heart cath? Which is the "nice" hospital where the wealthy go? Where would you want to be taken if seriously injured in an MVC? Where do all the shootings/stabbings/burns go? What hospital is most respected (as in "all the badasses work here"). What place makes you roll your eyes and shudder? Which are the ones you would rather amputate your left foot than work at?

RN's....what is the payscale like? Differentials? Overtime pay? Benefits? Where are the hot nursing jobs in Pittsburgh? The best prn pay? If you don't mind me asking, what is your annual gross? Are jobs hard to come by?

Appreciate your help! Looking forward to your responses!

Rochelle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2009, 09:08 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,025,167 times
Most of our city, suburban and regional hospitals were bought up by UPMC (University of Pittsburgh Medical Center.) A few belong to West Penn Allegheny Health System.

IMO, as a patient, Pittsburgh's healthcare has gone downhill since the UPMC monopoly took over. For instance, all babie deliveries are forced into Magee Woman's Hospital. All children under 16 are forced into Children's Hospital. Your only options are the few hospitals in the West Penn Health System, but I haven't been pleased enough with their emergency rooms to try the facilities for other things.

I guess we can't complain because we have a very large number of hospitals in the area, even if most of them are operated by UPMC. As a result, ALL shootings and stabbings don't have to go to ONE place. There are enough qualified hospitals in the city that the patients can go to whichever one is closest.

UPMC Mercy Hospital and UMPC Presby have burn units and trauma units.

WPAHS Allegheny General Hospital has a trama units and WPAHS West Penn Hospital has burn units.

IMO I'd take a family member for a heart cath at UPMC Presby or WPAHS Allegheny General.

Aside from the already mentioned hospitals, wealthy would go to various suburban hospitals depending on where they lived---like UPMC St. Margarets for people who live in Fox Chapel, unless they needed to be treated for anything serious, and then they would go to one of the city hospitals I already mentioned or leave Pennsylvania entirely---depending on the wealth. Because the truly wealthy will go to the top hospital in the country or world.

It's easy enough to say that the bad-ass work is done at UPMC Presby (for Presbyterian). WPAHS Allegheny General Hospital gives them a run for their money, especially since quite a few of UPMC's top doctors are jumping ship and running to Allegheny General---and West Penn in some cases.

I might be painting a bad picture, but I think things are going to be changing for the better now that so many doctors have began a mutiny against UPMC. It might force UPMC to change it's ways.

Nurses I know that work at the WPAHS hospitals are happier than the ones I know who work at the UPMC hospitals.

Last edited by Hopes; 11-02-2009 at 09:34 AM..

Old 11-02-2009, 09:49 AM

So which is larger? UPMC Mercy or Presby? Are they larger than Allegheny General? Deciphering hospital websites can be nightmare...both Mercy and Presby both say they are the only Level I trauma center...hmmm.

Old 11-02-2009, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ro_vaughan View Post
So which is larger? UPMC Mercy or Presby?
Presby.

Quote:
Are they larger than Allegheny General? Deciphering hospital websites can be nightmare...
Presby is just downright huge. It's Pitt's teaching hospital where all the transplants happen.

Mercy is smaller than Alllegheny General.

Here's the lowdown:

Presby total beds 1042
Allegheny General 755
West Pen 500
Mercy 506

The above was obtained from hospitaldata.com

Quote:
both Mercy and Presby both say they are the only Level I trauma center...hmmm.
UPMC lies. You'll learn that quickly if you move to Pittsburgh.

Presby, Mercy and Allegheny General are all Level 1 Trauma Centers.

West Penn is a Level 1 burn trauma center.

Old 11-02-2009, 10:23 AM

West Penn shouldn't be disregarded. It's the only major teaching hospital in Pennsylvania named in the top 100 hospitals in the country for 2008.

Old 11-02-2009, 10:26 AM

Read about Allegheny General:

Quote:
The Trauma Center at Allegheny General Hospital is the largest in the tri-state area of Pennsylvania, Ohio and West Virginia for brain and spinal cord injuries, and a leading institution for national studies evaluating various drugs for the prevention of brain and spinal cord injuries. It's neurosurgeons have led the way in establishing guidelines for the pre-hospital and acute management of severe head injury.

Since 1986, Allegheny General Hospital has been a Regional Resource (Level I) Trauma Center, dedicated to providing sophisticated care to area trauma patients. Today, Allegheny General Hospital admits more than 2,200 patients annually to its specialized Trauma Unit.

Level I Shock Trauma Care at WPAHS - West Penn Allegheny Health System Medical Specialties and Health Services

Old 11-02-2009, 10:45 AM

Since you can't trust UPMC's websites, here's the Reuter's list of Level 1 trauma centers in Pennsylvania:

Pennsylvania Trauma Systems Foundation Trauma Center Accreditation Status for Level I and II Trauma Centers | Reuters

Old 11-02-2009, 10:49 AM

Here's a list with the burn centers in the country. Pittsburgh has West Penn & Mercy: Specialized Burn Centers

Old 11-02-2009, 11:00 AM

374 posts, read 1,285,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Most of our city, suburban and regional hospitals were bought up by UPMC (University of Pittsburgh Medical Center.) A few belong to West Penn Allegheny Health System.

IMO, as a patient, Pittsburgh's healthcare has gone downhill since the UPMC monopoly took over. For instance, all babie deliveries are forced into Magee Woman's Hospital. All children under 16 are forced into Children's Hospital. Your only options are the few hospitals in the West Penn Health System, but I haven't been pleased enough with their emergency rooms to try the facilities for other things.

I guess we can't complain because we have a very large number of hospitals in the area, even if most of them are operated by UPMC. As a result, ALL shootings and stabbings don't have to go to ONE place. There are enough qualified hospitals in the city that the patients can go to whichever one is closest.

UPMC Mercy Hospital and UMPC Presby have burn units and trauma units.

WPAHS Allegheny General Hospital has a trama units and WPAHS West Penn Hospital has burn units.

IMO I'd take a family member for a heart cath at UPMC Presby or WPAHS Allegheny General.

Aside from the already mentioned hospitals, wealthy would go to various suburban hospitals depending on where they lived---like UPMC St. Margarets for people who live in Fox Chapel, unless they needed to be treated for anything serious, and then they would go to one of the city hospitals I already mentioned or leave Pennsylvania entirely---depending on the wealth. Because the truly wealthy will go to the top hospital in the country or world.

It's easy enough to say that the bad-ass work is done at UPMC Presby (for Presbyterian). WPAHS Allegheny General Hospital gives them a run for their money, especially since quite a few of UPMC's top doctors are jumping ship and running to Allegheny General---and West Penn in some cases.

I might be painting a bad picture, but I think things are going to be changing for the better now that so many doctors have began a mutiny against UPMC. It might force UPMC to change it's ways.

Nurses I know that work at the WPAHS hospitals are happier than the ones I know who work at the UPMC hospitals.

I agree with hopes on the UPMC statements.

Old 11-02-2009, 11:52 AM

Wow, Hopes! Thanks for doing all my research for me! You should be a nurse recruiter. West Penn owes you a commission! So Allegheny General is part of WPAHS...when you say West Penn are you referring to the same facility or that group of hospitals...checking out the website now!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh