Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 10:26 AM

2,458 posts, read 4,204,019 times

Advertisements

Quote:
...and an iconic sandwich invented by a hungover fratboy.
It was invented for the truck drivers on the graveyard shift in the produce yards, so they could eat with one hand and drive with the other. You can give the frat boys credit for making it iconic though...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2009, 12:22 PM

567 posts, read 1,161,904 times
Two points:

1. EVERYBODY KNOWS the country's largest phallic symbol is the Washington Monument.
2. Our zombie problem was eradicated nearly 30 years ago thanks to the fine people at Terminex. (I think we sent the remaining ones off the Milwaukee, or something. I don't know, I haven't seen the remake of the movie.)

Please get your facts straight, sir.

The rest... no comment

Old 11-04-2009, 01:42 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,546,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchdigger View Post
It was invented for the truck drivers on the graveyard shift in the produce yards, so they could eat with one hand and drive with the other. You can give the frat boys credit for making it iconic though...

You beat me to it. Primanti's was great when it was a dump and did not open until mid-night, now it's a glorified fern/sports/yuppie bar.

Come to think of it, the Strip looked much better when it was all cobblestone.

Old 11-04-2009, 07:14 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by +Daimon View Post
You could also mention the fairly low crime rate, the cool architecture of downtown, the diversity of the different neighborhoods, the Strip, the beautiful scenic ares surrounding the city, the way above-average job market and the super-low cost of living, etc etc. And which bridges are "dilapidated", anyway?

I think before suggesting to people that they should not move here, you should have some first-hand knowledge of the city.
I think that's a bit of an exaggeration.

Old 11-04-2009, 08:36 PM

226 posts, read 588,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by +Daimon View Post
And which bridges are "dilapidated", anyway?
The bridge from Greenfield to Schenley Park has had ugly mesh wrapped around it to keep concrete from falling on traffic for about 20 years now... That's just an eyesore. Embarrassing.

Further down the Mon Valley there are a number of dilapidated bridges -- they are slightly depressing and atmospheric at the same time. I do think there are pockets of dereliction that give Pittsburgh a very cool, gritty vibe.

Old 11-04-2009, 08:54 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,195,107 times
The bridges...that is making me think about the collapsed Minneapolis bridge. Then there was a need to look into what bridges across the U.S., were in need of serious repair. The number was quite high. I would imagine Pittsburgh would qualify for much-needed repair on some of their bridges, right?

Old 11-04-2009, 08:58 PM

2,193 posts, read 5,803,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
The bridges...that is making me think about the collapsed Minneapolis bridge. Then there was a need to look into what bridges across the U.S., were in need of serious repair. The number was quite high. I would imagine Pittsburgh would qualify for much-needed repair on some of their bridges, right?
Right.

Pennsylvania Department of Transportation

Old 11-04-2009, 09:48 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,762,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctoocheck View Post
Two points:

1. EVERYBODY KNOWS the country's largest phallic symbol is the Washington Monument.
Wooden teeth or no, George the first must have had it "going on."

Old 11-04-2009, 09:52 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,762,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstoner View Post

Further down the Mon Valley there are a number of dilapidated bridges -- they are slightly depressing and atmospheric at the same time. I do think there are pockets of dereliction that give Pittsburgh a very cool, gritty vibe.
Very nicely put Tombstoner,

And something therein catches the essence of your city's visage.

Last edited by Fiddlehead; 11-04-2009 at 10:00 PM..

Old 11-04-2009, 09:55 PM

875 posts, read 1,489,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstoner View Post
The bridge from Greenfield to Schenley Park has had ugly mesh wrapped around it to keep concrete from falling on traffic for about 20 years now... That's just an eyesore. Embarrassing.
If I recall correctly, the two high-level road bridges over Washington Blvd. connecting the Lincoln and Larimer neighborhoods are suffering the same deteriorating concrete condition. The thankful thing is that reinforced concrete crafted today has a much better lifespan because the rebar is thoroughly anti-corrosion treated.

Still it's deplorable the sloppy quality in which bridges from the 60's to 70's were built. With the Greenfield Bridge, they literally constructed a makeshift "bridge" underneath it to catch the concrete. What a waste of funds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh