U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-06-2009, 09:58 AM
 
43,017 posts, read 50,768,899 times
Reputation: 28812

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
Internet cafes: Here's the deal. In the US, a great majority of folks have internet access at home. For those who don't, some get by with access at work. And for the rest, they get by with some access at libraries and such near home.
I forgot about the libraries. Why would anyone pay to access the internet in the United States when our library systems usually offer access for free?

Sort of makes you feel like those citizens in Korea, Philippines, and Vietnam are getting ripped off having to pay at internet cafes!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-06-2009, 10:00 AM
 
43,017 posts, read 50,768,899 times
Reputation: 28812
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Actually, with cellphones, I should change my original statement a little bit!
You need to change your original statement regarding internet cafes too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2009, 10:09 AM
 
Location: Macao
13,042 posts, read 20,024,394 times
Reputation: 6621
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
You need to change your original statement regarding internet cafes too.
LOL...I was going to address that one next!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Most Americans have their own computers and internet at home and/or have laptops with WiFi; whereas, that's not the case in countries like Korea, Philippines, and Vietnam.

Seirously, why would you expect internet cafes to be plentiful in the US when most Americans don't need to rent access from someone else?

I guess you didn't think that one through.....
I think it is kind of a double-edged sword here. I mean, when internet cafes are $5/hour in the U.S., then it makes sense to buy your own computer.

Whereas when they are 30 cents an hour, it isn't so critical that you must be an owner. Plus from an economic standpoint, those internet cafes are moving local money around all over the place, so highly profitable for locals, businessowners, the local economy, etc. PLUS, if you were a student between classes, or girlfriend/wife is shopping or whatever else, into the internet cafe you can go for an hour or two without spending hardly any money whatsoever.

Oh, I'm also a computer owner here in Japan and I was in Korea too. I still used internet cafes often. Mostly when my own computer broke down for awhile, or when I wanted a fast connection, etc. When it's cheap, you'll be surprised how often you'd use them. Sometimes just getting out of the house and exploring, find yourself far from home, but decide to kill an hour in the internet cafe and rest before your next activity, etc.

---

On another note, Korea is one of the most wired countries in the world, high computer ownership, etc. as well. They still go to the internet cafes though because it is dirt cheap, and they have super fast gamer type computers. The really amazing ones that are top notch quality for gaming. They also network with each other in them, I mean, like a half dozen guys playing the same interconnected gamer type game or whatever. Most of the 'gaming' type stuff seems to be over here in Asia. So it is more to use the most modern high-tech computers, whereas the computer you have in your house probably became dated after a year or two.

Additionally, a lot of these internet cafes, like in Japan, also provide showers, restaurants, free drinks, and comic libraries, etc. So it is more just an internet cafe, but like a 'total experience'. You can even rent a 'living room' and do your gaming, and have food delivered to you, etc. Plus your computer is already in a private cubicle as it is, even if you don't do the living room style stuff, etc. Lots of cool stuff.

Last edited by Tiger Beer; 11-06-2009 at 10:21 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2009, 10:18 AM
 
43,017 posts, read 50,768,899 times
Reputation: 28812
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I think it is kind of a double-edged sword here. I mean, when internet cafes are $5/hour in the U.S., then it makes sense to buy your own computer.

Whereas when they are 30 cents an hour, it isn't so critical that you must be an owner.
Americans dont' buy computers because the internet cafes are expensive.

Americans buy computers like they buy second and third cars---because they CAN for convenience.

Heck, we have four computers in my household alone! (Down to three cars now though....)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
They still go to the internet cafes though because it is dirt cheap, and they have super fast gamer type computers. The really amazing ones that are top notch quality for gaming. They also network with each other in them, I mean, like a half dozen guys playing the same interconnected gamer type game or whatever. Most of the 'gaming' type stuff seems to be over here in Asia. So it is more to use the most modern high-tech computers, whereas the computer you have in your house probably becomes dated after a year or two.
I have the latest and greatest technology gaming computer. We're all over that in our house.

My son is a totally internationally intereconnected gamer too. We do that all in our own house.

And yes, it costs me thousands of dollars per year to keep up with gaming technology, but that's what Americans do---spend money on things they want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Additionally, a lot of these internet cafes, like in Japan, also provide showers, restaurants, free drinks, and comic libraries, etc. So it is more just an internet cafe, but like a 'total experience'. You can even rent a 'living room' and do your gaming, and have food delivered to you, etc. Plus your computer is already in a private cubicle as it is, even if you don't do the living room style stuff, etc.
The total experience has nothing to do with technology.

Last edited by Hopes; 11-06-2009 at 10:33 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2009, 10:24 AM
 
Location: Macao
13,042 posts, read 20,024,394 times
Reputation: 6621
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Americans dont' buy computers because the internet cafes are expensive.

Americans buy computers like they buy second and third cars---because they CAN for convenience.

Heck, we have four computers in my household alone!


I have the latest and greatest technology gaming computer. We're all over that in our house.

My son is a totally internationally intereconnected gamer too. We do that all in our own house.

And yes, it costs me thousands of dollars per year to keep up with gaming technology, but that's what Americans do---spend money on things they want.


The total experience has nothing to do with technology.
Yeah, but wouldn't it be cooler if you could do it BOTH in your house, and ELSEWHERE whenever you felt like it as well?

Both options being available?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2009, 10:35 AM
 
43,017 posts, read 50,768,899 times
Reputation: 28812
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Yeah, but wouldn't it be cooler if you could do it BOTH in your house, and ELSEWHERE whenever you felt like it as well?

Both options being available?
Yeah, it would be cool. It would be more social. It would get my kids out of the house more often.

I'm dreaming. They'd stay home. The library is just up the street and they only go there when a computer crashes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2009, 11:34 AM
 
Location: Under Mount Doom
9,263 posts, read 6,155,553 times
Reputation: 4752
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Americans dont' buy computers because the internet cafes are expensive.

Americans buy computers like they buy second and third cars---because they CAN for convenience.

Heck, we have four computers in my household alone! (Down to three cars now though....)


I have the latest and greatest technology gaming computer. We're all over that in our house.

My son is a totally internationally intereconnected gamer too. We do that all in our own house.

And yes, it costs me thousands of dollars per year to keep up with gaming technology, but that's what Americans do---spend money on things they want.


The total experience has nothing to do with technology.

Sorry Hopes,

I usually like your posts, but this one reads like one of the smuggest testimonies to American materialism I have yet read. We Americans have thousands of dollars of computer equipment and vehicles, BECAUSE WE CAN. Subtext: If you cannot afford, a 4000 sf house in the burbs, new cars for parents and kids, plasma TVs, computers, private schools, hot tubs, your own private yacht, it is just because you are a loser....I think that is a major problem in American society, if you are rich enough you can have many things. Some can afford that, of course, perhaps your family. Many more cannot, or they can only do it with ridiculous credit offers that strangle them over decades. And our debt to savings rate is certainly not the envy of the world. The fact that East Asians, often damn smart people in my experience, create more a "rental" model for recreation like gaming, seems entirely reasonable, rather than every home buying thousands of dollars of stuff that rapidly depreciates and sits idle much of the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2009, 12:07 PM
 
43,017 posts, read 50,768,899 times
Reputation: 28812
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
Sorry Hopes,

I usually like your posts, but this one reads like one of the smuggest testimonies to American materialism I have yet read. We Americans have thousands of dollars of computer equipment and vehicles, BECAUSE WE CAN. Subtext: If you cannot afford, a 4000 sf house in the burbs, new cars for parents and kids, plasma TVs, computers, private schools, hot tubs, your own private yacht, it is just because you are a loser....I think that is a major problem in American society, if you are rich enough you can have many things. Some can afford that, of course, perhaps your family. Many more cannot, or they can only do it with ridiculous credit offers that strangle them over decades. And our debt to savings rate is certainly not the envy of the world.
It's true. I'm just stating facts. You'd be surprised how many low income families own computers and have access to the internet. American families on welfare have so much more than the impoverished in the rest of the world. And I did mention that most areas of the United States offers FREE access through the library systems. Areas of the country that don't have access to libraries wouldn't have access to internet cafes even if they were popular here in the states.

I'll be the first to admit that Americans are wasteful. That's what I was trying to convey. Sorry you took it to be smug. I was purposely posting as an "ugly American" to get my point across. Apparently, I accomplished that goal! LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
The fact that East Asians, often damn smart people in my experience, create more a "rental" model for recreation like gaming, seems entirely reasonable, rather than every home buying thousands of dollars of stuff that rapidly depreciates and sits idle much of the time.
You're out of touch with gaming. It doesn't sit idle much of the time. Our computers have burned out from getting too hot because they're in constant use. That's one of the reasons we need invest in gaming computers---for the cooling systems.

As for depreciation of outdated technology, anyone who games knows the importance of having access to older technology and operating systems. See a different thread where I was hoping to buy an old computer for just that reason.

Renting often ends up being wasted money in the aspect that you could eventually own what your'e renting if you saved your money.

And you can't ignore the demands of our society on our free time. Americans work more days and hours per year than any other industrialized nation. As a result, convenience is very important.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2009, 04:07 PM
 
Location: Crafton via San Francisco
2,765 posts, read 1,908,175 times
Reputation: 937
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Actually, with cellphones, I should change my original statement a little bit!

Cellphone ownership is there.

Particularly in Asia, or even visits to other Asian countries where I can cheaply rent a phone. I feel like I can just make unlimited phone calls no problem with a very reasonable monthly bill. In Korea, I think I paid around $35/month or so, and I felt like I was on the phone quite a bit.
I have friends who recently moved to the US from Italy and they have had a very similar experience. They love most everything about living here, except their Chicago winters and the cost of cellphone usage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2009, 08:11 PM
 
Location: Under Mount Doom
9,263 posts, read 6,155,553 times
Reputation: 4752
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
It's true. I'm just stating facts. You'd be surprised how many low income families own computers and have access to the internet. American families on welfare have so much more than the impoverished in the rest of the world. And I did mention that most areas of the United States offers FREE access through the library systems. Areas of the country that don't have access to libraries wouldn't have access to internet cafes even if they were popular here in the states.

I'll be the first to admit that Americans are wasteful. That's what I was trying to convey. Sorry you took it to be smug. I was purposely posting as an "ugly American" to get my point across. Apparently, I accomplished that goal! LOL


You're out of touch with gaming. It doesn't sit idle much of the time. Our computers have burned out from getting too hot because they're in constant use. That's one of the reasons we need invest in gaming computers---for the cooling systems.

As for depreciation of outdated technology, anyone who games knows the importance of having access to older technology and operating systems. See a different thread where I was hoping to buy an old computer for just that reason.

Renting often ends up being wasted money in the aspect that you could eventually own what your'e renting if you saved your money.

And you can't ignore the demands of our society on our free time. Americans work more days and hours per year than any other industrialized nation. As a result, convenience is very important.
Ok, I take your point about gaming needs, and that you were playing the ugly American for effect. But I still maintain that there are other ways to do things, and I am not convinced the American way is always the most cutting edge. I will agree that with all the hours we work, having something at home might be appealing.

How about you Tiger Beer?

Do you think the Japanese or Koreans work fewer hours and so are more likely to be out and about gaming on the town? I have no idea about this topic, but it is kind of interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:19 PM.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top