U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-08-2009, 01:11 PM

875 posts, read 829,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friarboy View Post
I have seen 2 cars try to get through on the same Pittsburgh Left green light.

I almost T-boned the second one.
A person making a left first at a light is justified in my view. A person trying to travel in the immediate wake like this... quite simply in Pittsburgh jargon, is a total jagoff. Only super-aggressive, impatient a-holes will attempt such a maneuver.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2009, 01:13 PM

8,500 posts, read 7,734,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Impala26 View Post
A person making a left first at a light is justified in my view. A person trying to travel in the immediate wake like this... quite simply in Pittsburgh jargon, is a total jagoff. Only super-aggressive, impatient a-holes will attempt such a maneuver.
Sorry, YAC, I know I'm off topic. I love that term, and have been hearing it more and more in mainstream movies.

Old 11-08-2009, 02:22 PM
Status: "60th anniversary of the polio vaccine! Hail to Pitt!" (set 10 days ago)

70,043 posts, read 60,574,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchdigger View Post
(Bold is mine.)

If you're both stopped at the light, then the other vehicle isn't "approaching", until it begins to move. That's the legal basis of the Pittsburgh Left. You gotta be quick.

But seriously, as has been said above, and as I've said before, in many cases, it does expedite the flow of the traffic following the vehicle executing the left turn. And what does it cost the driver on the recieving end, a second or so? Leave your egos in your driveways and look at the bigger picture...
That's a stretch. My brother tried one of those "Pittsburgh Lefts" out here in CO and I about freaked. People aren't used to an oncoming driver doing that here, and it can be dangerous b/c of that.

I think left turn signals, and trying to carve out some left turn lanes, might help.

Old 11-08-2009, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I think left turn signals, and trying to carve out some left turn lanes, might help.
This is often not a very implementable plan because of the narrowness of many of the city streets. I saw this first hand from driving the main streets of Millvale today and I know it would be difficult in places like Oakland as well. The only way I think you could counter this would be to eliminate some parking areas along side of streets, and you just know that residents will greatly be opposed to such measures.

Old 11-08-2009, 02:49 PM
Status: "60th anniversary of the polio vaccine! Hail to Pitt!" (set 10 days ago)

70,043 posts, read 60,574,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Impala26 View Post
This is often not a very implementable plan because of the narrowness of many of the city streets. I saw this first hand from driving the main streets of Millvale today and I know it would be difficult in places like Oakland as well. The only way I think you could counter this would be to eliminate some parking areas along side of streets, and you just know that residents will greatly be opposed to such measures.
True. Was just trying to brainstorm. It might help at some intersections to have a left arrow at the beginning of a green light, then just the green for the rest of the cycle.

Old 11-08-2009, 08:46 PM

20,274 posts, read 18,875,311 times
I'm in the camp that thinks if properly executed, the Pittsburgh Left is actually a good idea. Of course as people are noting you could install a lot more left-turn green arrows, but that can be inefficient in cases where you don't always have the need, and the Pittsburgh Left leaves it up to the situation.

But my sense is that the Pittsburgh Left is dying out anyway--when I was first here in 1993, it was a given at certain intersections I frequently used, and now it seems more the exception than the rule. And once it is an exception, it probably should be dumped entirely as causing more confusion and delay than it is worth. C'est la vie--it was nice while it lasted.

Old 11-09-2009, 09:37 AM

146 posts, read 171,221 times
Indirectly related, when someone is flashing or waving for you to "go ahead" and make your left in front of them while they wait, please look out for the speed-racing numbnuts approaching the good samaritan from behind, who takes the opportunity to flex the sidewalls of their tires by whipping around the (potentially dangerously) stopped vehicle giving you the nod. I've seen a few close calls in these situations.

Oh.. and while I'm thinking of it, also please keep a lookout for pedestrians getting a jump on the crosswalk when making The Pittsburgh Left™. Leaning heavy on the gas pedal to successfully execute the maneuver may excite those citizens you are about to mow down to your left.

Last edited by Yac; 11-10-2009 at 03:07 AM..

Old 11-09-2009, 09:48 AM

43,017 posts, read 50,438,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onepoint View Post
Indirectly related, when someone is flashing or waving for you to "go ahead" and make your left in front of them while they wait, please look out for the speed-racing numbnuts approaching the good samaritan from behind, who takes the opportunity to flex the sidewalls of their tires by whipping around the (potentially dangerously) stopped vehicle giving you the nod. I've seen a few close calls in these situations.
That applies to anytime someone gives you a wave, not just when doing the Pittsburgh left. Other motorists can't conduct all traffic. There could be another car flying up from elsewhere. I learned this lesson the hard way when I was young. My car was destroyed.

Old 11-09-2009, 09:49 AM

108 posts, read 121,185 times
I agree with ditchdigger. I also agree that the Pittsburgh Left can be dangerous if all parties do not understand what is going on.

The idea to to cut down on overall delay at the intersection as ditchdigger points out. It is not about the left turning driver being in a bigger hurry or feeling more important, rather is about being courteous to the advancing vehicles behind the left turning vehicle. Those advancing folks would otherwise need to wait until the end of the main phase (perhaps 30 seconds or more) for the left turning vehicle to go on the yellow/all red phase.

Old 11-09-2009, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onepoint View Post
This is another reason why the maneuver should only really be executed when it is truly one lane of traffic on the side of the person going straight and "yielding". I've made the mistake of trying to be nice and let a driver turn in front of me, only to shunted by people not so conscientious who decide to pass me.

Instances like above can occur where someone is waiting to turn left across a major road even where there's not a traffic light, like a middle turning lane for instance. The problem lies with one person trying to be nice, but at the same time not fully aware of traffic in other lanes while the other person can see quite clearly what's coming. A maneuver anything like the Pittsburgh Left on a road with more than one lane in each direction is highly inadvisable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh