Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 06:04 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,203,236 times

Advertisements

I live right in the city, and when driving to work, certain intersections are simply miserable. I adjust my route as much as possible, but I am on 5th around Shadyside every morning/afternoon during rush hour. If someone hesitates, I will make my left. There is so much traffic you have to drive a little more agressive during rush hour or you are never going to get anywhere. If no one did the Pittsburgh Left, one, maybe two cars would get through an intersection every cycle of the lights. Can you imagine how much that would back up traffic? I turn off of 5th onto Negley every day and am extremely glad people do it there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2016, 02:33 PM

1,209 posts, read 1,814,128 times
I was visiting Pittsburgh and someone in an unprotected left turn lane starting creeping up into the intersection even though the light was red. I was at the red light in the opposing direction to go straight. I saw that the other driver was attempting to "beat" the traffic going straight. Isn't that dangerous and illegal?

I also starting creeping forward and revved my engine up to 4,000 rpm putting me close to my vehicle's peak torque curve so I could floor it. When the light turned green the driver started to move but I floored it and the driver waiting to make an unprotected left turn gave me a middle finger. I have the right of way. You don't. Get over it.

Old 03-28-2016, 02:39 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,200,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty_Pelican View Post
I was visiting Pittsburgh and someone in an unprotected left turn lane starting creeping up into the intersection even though the light was red. I was at the red light in the opposing direction to go straight. I saw that the other driver was attempting to "beat" the traffic going straight. Isn't that dangerous and illegal?

I also starting creeping forward and revved my engine up to 4,000 rpm putting me close to my vehicle's peak torque curve so I could floor it. When the light turned green the driver started to move but I floored it and the driver waiting to make an unprotected left turn gave me a middle finger. I have the right of way. You don't. Get over it.
Nope, not illegal...and you choosing to not give 1 second and prohibit one vehicle from proceeding will just make a long line even longer. Funny how concerned people are with it, as it happens everywhere. I always give way to a left turn in that situation. Not a big deal.

Old 03-28-2016, 03:52 PM

432 posts, read 359,646 times
Quote:

Aggressive drivers make all of us safer, motorists, cyclists, and pedestrians alike, so thanks for that.

Puts me in mind of a set of old Burma-Shave advertising signs (ask your grandpa):

He was right, dead right

As he sped along

But he's just as dead

As if he were wrong

Burma-Shave

Old 03-28-2016, 04:21 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,969,691 times
Seems two selfish people met at a red light. One trying to cross the other's selfish path. Who cars about that old lady trying to cross the street! Lets rev those engines and be big heros and see who wins. It is what it is. Two idiots meet and everyone else pays. Just be careful out there if you are trying to walk or cycle with all these super aggressive people in weapons of mass destruction pounding their chests. Thank goodness the bumper of this thread got the jump and made an extra second of time to get to that next red light. Such a hero!

Old 03-28-2016, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Seems two selfish people met at a red light. One trying to cross the other's selfish path. Who cars about that old lady trying to cross the street! Lets rev those engines and be big heros and see who wins. It is what it is. Two idiots meet and everyone else pays. Just be careful out there if you are trying to walk or cycle with all these super aggressive people in weapons of mass destruction pounding their chests. Thank goodness the bumper of this thread got the jump and made an extra second of time to get to that next red light. Such a hero!
The only thing that happened was that no courtesy was given to someone who may have to wait multiple lights to make a left.

Who said anything about anyone crossing the street?

Are you saying people don't cross after the light turns, but only immediately after it turns green?

Should there be no left turns?

Old 03-28-2016, 05:01 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,969,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
The only thing that happened was that no courtesy was given to someone who may have to wait multiple lights to make a left.

Who said anything about anyone crossing the street?
Look, I realize this will be hard for you, but when the light changes for someone to go straight it also allows pedestrians to cross the street. If someone is trying to beat person going straight they are also going to cross a crosswalk when those people in it have the RIGHT OF WAY! Hello? Sometimes the pedestrians can go ahead of the light a little because there is no traffic at all, but some idiot will jump the light in front of someone crashing into people. Get it? The Pittsburgh Left is crap, BUT if there is no one around waiting and you are going to block traffic, I can understand doing it, but lets face it with people texting, walking, driving etc, the idea of jumping a light isn't a good idea anymore. Sure someone like me can do it, but most are clueless.

Old 03-28-2016, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Look, I realize this will be hard for you, but when the light changes for someone to go straight it also allows pedestrians to cross the street. If someone is trying to beat person going straight they are also going to cross a crosswalk when those people in it have the RIGHT OF WAY! Hello? Sometimes the pedestrians can go ahead of the light a little because there is no traffic at all, but some idiot will jump the light in front of someone crashing into people. Get it? The Pittsburgh Left is crap, BUT if there is no one around waiting and you are going to block traffic, I can understand doing it, but lets face it with people texting, walking, driving etc, the idea of jumping a light isn't a good idea anymore. Sure someone like me can do it, but most are clueless.
Again, in this case, nobody said anything about anyone crossing.

Again, do people not cross after the light has changed?

Nobody is blocking traffic if given the courtesy.

Apparently you're the one that finds it hard to understand to turn, as the DMV sees no issue with it in Pa., and I would assume across the nation as it occurs nationwide.

I would suggest taking the bus or only crossing where there are crossing signals if it's such a big issue.

Last edited by erieguy; 03-28-2016 at 05:37 PM..

Old 03-28-2016, 05:48 PM

2,195 posts, read 2,588,900 times
Quote:

Oh. Was that you? Thanks ever so much. All of the cars stuck behind me who only wanted to go straight but were stuck waiting for me to make my left turn also thank you. I a really glad you were able to have your way. Would not want to hold you up there. That extra three seconds must have been very important to you.

Pittsburgh lefts could be largely eliminated if there were advance green left turn arrows anywhere there are left turns at a light.

Old 03-28-2016, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowfax View Post
Oh. Was that you? Thanks ever so much. All of the cars stuck behind me who only wanted to go straight but were stuck waiting for me to make my left turn also thank you. I a really glad you were able to have your way. Would not want to hold you up there. That extra three seconds must have been very important to you.

Pittsburgh lefts could be largely eliminated if there were advance green left turn arrows anywhere there are left turns at a light.
Bingo.

Not giving someone the courtesy only causes bigger traffic issues...and cause for green arrows that will make oncoming traffic wait longer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh