Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2016, 09:53 AM

41,016 posts, read 18,207,721 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kippy View Post
It is a common practice in Boston and other Eastern cities:
https://www.bostonglobe.com/ideas/20...7QN/story.html
Exactly. It is seriously hard to believe this comes up on a regular basis and that drivers supposedly don't notice. I've seen it everywhere I've been where a green arrow is not present. I also see that a lot of people have courtesy letting the driver make the turn before proceeding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2016, 02:43 PM

432 posts, read 359,844 times
Never saw it systematically practiced on the west coast, where I've driven in cities from San Diego to Seattle.

However, the Pittsburgh Left is famous enough that I knew about it before I moved here, from reading some guidebook or other.

Old 03-31-2016, 12:23 AM

1,807 posts, read 3,095,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
I've driven many places. Many places have left arrows. Those that don't have the _____ Left.

Have some courtesy and everyone will get around easier.
Not true. Yes, commonplace in Boston and some other cities out east, but try this in Chicago-- even on a one-lane each way road, no turn arrow-- and prepare to get your car totaled.

Old 03-31-2016, 05:11 AM

2,269 posts, read 3,801,277 times
Greatest Escapist: There's Nothing Right About a Boston Left

Old 03-31-2016, 06:11 AM

2,218 posts, read 1,945,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Exactly. It is seriously hard to believe this comes up on a regular basis and that drivers supposedly don't notice. I've seen it everywhere I've been where a green arrow is not present. I also see that a lot of people have courtesy letting the driver make the turn before proceeding.
The driver who stops and lets another go instead of taking his rightful turn has unwittingly perverted the entire system. You are doing NO ONE a service by letting people proceed in contravention to the rules of the road. You are only adding time to EVERYBODY's commute in the long run. That's simple common sense. There is a lot of civil engineering that goes into ensuring an orderly flow of traffic and you are wasting everyone's resources when you disrupt that with your "courtesy".

When it is your turn, take it! Don't be an obstruction to forward progress.

Old 03-31-2016, 06:31 AM

41,016 posts, read 18,207,721 times
Ummm, nobody is stopping. Everyone is already stopped at the light waiting for it to turn green. When the light turns you make the left. Pretty simple and no engineering needed.

Old 03-31-2016, 06:49 AM

1,075 posts, read 1,693,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srsmn View Post
Not true. Yes, commonplace in Boston and some other cities out east, but try this in Chicago-- even on a one-lane each way road, no turn arrow-- and prepare to get your car totaled.
Does that mean that Pittsburgh is a Northeastern city and not a Midwestern one?

Old 03-31-2016, 06:50 AM

2,218 posts, read 1,945,508 times
What you say is incorrect. No one is to be moving through a red light. You yourself claimed that you see "a lot of people have courtesy (sic) letting the driver make the turn before proceeding". Those are your own words. Obviously the implication is that they are waiting for the driver opposite them to make their left turn. In waiting (due to courtesy or inattention, etc.), they are working against the traffic control system. How is this not clear to you? The person who is not making a turn (but rather going forward) has the right-of-way at a green light. I don't know why I would need to explain this to you.

Old 03-31-2016, 07:10 AM

Location: Close to Pittsburgh, but NOT Pittsburgh ('cause I don't pay CoP taxes)
252 posts, read 236,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kippy View Post
Does that mean that Pittsburgh is a Northeastern city and not a Midwestern one?
Lol. Finally! The incontrovertible proof we've been waiting for!

Old 03-31-2016, 07:14 AM

Location: Close to Pittsburgh, but NOT Pittsburgh ('cause I don't pay CoP taxes)
252 posts, read 236,258 times
When executed efficiently, the PL is hardly a hindrance to anyone. At most it rates as an annoyance to everyone.

Given the general level of respect shown for traffic signals anymore, a potential practitioner of the PL should be less concerned with oncoming traffic and more concerned with the last jagoff who blows through the intersection one to two seconds after the cross traffic signal has turned red.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh