Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 09:01 AM

7 posts, read 69,054 times

Advertisements

What is this area like? Is it a good place to live/buy a home?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2009, 10:08 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times
I don't know this side of Penn Hills.

At least it's a side street. The properties look fairly well maintained on the google map images. The cars on the street and in the driveways are in good condition too.

Old 11-08-2009, 01:26 PM

1,719 posts, read 4,181,377 times
Be very wary of Penn Hills. Half of it is still nice. The other half has become ghetto-fied in recent years. Make sure you end up in the nice part.

Old 11-08-2009, 01:51 PM

It would be nice if you could offer actual advice.

Since you haven't, it's clear you don't know Penn Hills very well. Otherwise, you'd be able to say which part is 'ghetto-fied' or not.

Well maintained properties and cars in good condition don't normally indicate a ghetto.

Old 11-08-2009, 06:40 PM

353 posts, read 1,728,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwonderwhy2124 View Post
Be very wary of Penn Hills. Half of it is still nice. The other half has become ghetto-fied in recent years. Make sure you end up in the nice part.
Hochberg is between the nice and not so nice area.

Hopes - An ariel view from Google maps is not the same as actually driving down the street.

Old 11-08-2009, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PghREA View Post
Hopes - An ariel view from Google maps is not the same as actually driving down the street.
Wow! You don't know how to view the street with google? It's just like driving down the street. You should try it sometime.

Old 11-09-2009, 07:26 PM

353 posts, read 1,728,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Wow! You don't know how to view the street with google? It's just like driving down the street. You should try it sometime.
Yes I do, Hopes. I'm a Realtor - and I've also been on the street and in several of the homes on the street. I stand by my previous post.

Old 11-09-2009, 10:00 PM

141 posts, read 339,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyJ81 View Post
What is this area like? Is it a good place to live/buy a home?

Hochberg Road is in the neighborhood of Eastvue/Laketon Estates. It's an iffy area. It's right on the edge of where the neighborhoods of Lincoln Park & Longvue Manor are, which are areas that are deteriorating. By no means is Eastvue/Laketon Estates bad - there are just better sections of Penn Hills to live in. I would be hesitant to purchase a home in that area of Penn Hills, as that section would probably be the next area to start experiencing urban blight in the future. If the price of the home is a steal, then I would consider it. If the price of the home is average amongst all of the other homes for sale in Penn Hills, I would look elsewhere as I don't think that the homes in that area will retain their value over time.

The west end of Penn Hills is a mixed bag. I have a friend that lives on Eastwood Street, which is right on the edge of Homewood, and that street is beautiful and the homes are very well taken care of. However if you go three streets over, it starts looking slummy.

Old 12-04-2009, 04:30 PM

3 posts, read 6,645 times
I was looking to go see a house off of 130 by the Long Vue Club, looks like the Sandy Creek area of Penn Hills. Does anyone know anything about this area? Any input would be appreciated.

Old 12-04-2009, 07:26 PM

3,131 posts, read 9,373,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Britheguy View Post
I was looking to go see a house off of 130 by the Long Vue Club, looks like the Sandy Creek area of Penn Hills. Does anyone know anything about this area? Any input would be appreciated.
"I'm a 44 year old African American who . . . grew up in the Long Vue Manor section of Penn Hills . . . And yes, this little corner of Penn Hills is really that bad."
Is Penn Hills really that bad???? | YourPennHills.com (http://www.yourpennhills.com/blog/concernedhomeowner15235/penn-hills-really-bad - broken link)
Go 2/3 down the page and read Decline of Penn Hills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh