Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 07:25 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,976,499 times

Advertisements

So you'd rather go unemployed than accept wearing business casual outfits? Or do you have tattoos and piercings that force you to work at a place with an extremely lax dress code?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2009, 01:01 AM

1,104 posts, read 2,590,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarisnowday View Post
So you'd rather go unemployed than accept wearing business casual outfits? Or do you have tattoos and piercings that force you to work at a place with an extremely lax dress code?
No, I don't have tattoos or piercings. I would rather not make it a big deal but the bottom line is I'd rather be comfortable than have it on the back of my mind. Business casual isn't too bad. Are my choices that limited? I've always had an impression that there were jobs hidden away somewhere that are lax about these things. If this was Los Angeles, trust me I would have a much easier time getting a job.

Old 11-11-2009, 02:27 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,173,029 times
What kind of jobs do you foresee yourself doing while wearing shorts and sandals? Whatever is in your mind, that is probably what you should go for.

Old 11-11-2009, 03:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
What kind of jobs do you foresee yourself doing while wearing shorts and sandals? Whatever is in your mind, that is probably what you should go for.
Something tech related is what I'm pursuing. An emphasis on computers, preferably. Also, I don't mind business casual... as far as I'm concerned, a polo or dress shirt and khakis are fine. I would prefer not wearing a business suit, however, or even a tie for that matter. I rarely ever wear sandals, so that's not a problem. I'm not limiting myself to jobs that prohibit shorts, I'm just saying I'd prefer a place that allows it. Personally, I'm not a sloppy dresser, so don't get the wrong impression.

Old 11-11-2009, 06:12 AM

129 posts, read 408,097 times
It makes you sound like a sloppy dresser or someone who just wants to be "alternative." Grown up jobs for grown up pay require a certain amount of professionalism, which includes personal appearance. Even jobs that are business casual often require suits every now and then. Not many jobs require suits on a regular basis anymore, but they will be needed.

If you're content on working at a mall store, well, that's your choice, but even in the tech industry you're going to have to dress like a professional sometimes.

Would I prefer not to wear a suit sometimes? Sure would, it's a pain and expensive (especially for women). But I'm an attorney and it goes along with my job sometimes.

In this economy and job market, being picky about what you wear to work is ridiculous.

Old 11-11-2009, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddietrich View Post
It makes you sound like a sloppy dresser or someone who just wants to be "alternative." Grown up jobs for grown up pay require a certain amount of professionalism, which includes personal appearance. Even jobs that are business casual often require suits every now and then. Not many jobs require suits on a regular basis anymore, but they will be needed.

If you're content on working at a mall store, well, that's your choice, but even in the tech industry you're going to have to dress like a professional sometimes.

Would I prefer not to wear a suit sometimes? Sure would, it's a pain and expensive (especially for women). But I'm an attorney and it goes along with my job sometimes.

In this economy and job market, being picky about what you wear to work is ridiculous.
Well, I guess the alternative part makes sense. Individualism is hard to come by in the business world it seems. Growing up is one thing, but dealing with bouts of obsessive-compulsiveness is another.

Old 11-11-2009, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neurodistortion View Post
Individualism is hard to come by in the business world it seems.
As the cheesy self-help poster say, there is no "I" in team. Unless you are working as a one-person busniess, there needs to be a cohesiveness in a group. Take a course in group dynamics or business communication, it can be pretty interesting.

As to people who like to dress "alternative" and want to be "an individual" - the concept cracks me up. For instance, people who dress goth. You're not being unique or an individual, you're being just like all of your goth friends.

Telling someone that they need to present a neat appearance and wear clothing appropriate to the job is not obsessive-compulsiveness. Telling someone they can only wear salmon pink dress shirts with a particular style collar made by a certain brand with cufflinks, a black leather belt and charcoal flatfront dress pants with black wingtip shoes is obsessive compulsive.

Old 11-11-2009, 07:52 AM

Quote:
As the cheesy self-help poster say, there is no "I" in team. Unless you are working as a one-person busniess, there needs to be a cohesiveness in a group. Take a course in group dynamics or business communication, it can be pretty interesting.

As to people who like to dress "alternative" and want to be "an individual" - the concept cracks me up. For instance, people who dress goth. You're not being unique or an individual, you're being just like all of your goth friends.

Telling someone that they need to present a neat appearance and wear clothing appropriate to the job is not obsessive-compulsiveness. Telling someone they can only wear salmon pink dress shirts with a particular style collar made by a certain brand with cufflinks, a black leather belt and charcoal flatfront dress pants with black wingtip shoes is obsessive compulsive.
I agree that there needs to be unification in a group. People should dress to the point where they're happy doing the work and can perform it comfortably, and I don't mean coming into work in a tank top, shorts and sandals either. There still needs to be a degree of professionalism. I think that beach wear would be pushing it except in a place like Hollister, but in hotter climates, a solid or button-down shirt and khaki or denim shorts are permitted. Why not Pittsburgh? There's attorneys, architects and engineers in Southern California and other places out West that dress a lot more lax than people do out East.

As for goths and punks who dress that way, that's their choice. The people that I can't stand are the ones who dress that way because they want to associate themselves with the goths or the punks. I think that's wrong. But back on topic, I simply have a dislike for dressing up for any occasion. It may be OCD, it may not, that's not the point. I just don't like dressing up, period. For my brother's wedding, I was his best man so I had to wear a tux. Was it comfortable, not really, but that wasn't the point. In the end, it didn't matter, because I was trashed anyway.

Old 11-11-2009, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neurodistortion View Post
There's attorneys, architects and engineers in Southern California and other places out West that dress a lot more lax than people do out East.
I VERY highly doubt that there are attorneys in Southern California who do not wear suits to court. Especially without getting reprimanded by the judge.

Pittsburgh is a fairly casual place, so I don't really get your beef. Most law firms are business casual or maybe a step above, but most don't require or expect suits on a daily basis.

Wearing a suit is a cultural expectation thing that is not unique to Pittsburgh in any way, shape, or form.

If anything, I would argue that from a business perspective, Pittsburgh is a way more casual place than many other cities. I interact with enough people from different businesses to know.

I wonder if your perception versus the reality are different. If you're looking for work at a mall store, it would surprise me if you actually had much firsthand experience with the Pittsburgh business scene. It sound like you're basing your views on assumptions and views from 10,000 feet instead of actual personal observations and experience.

Old 11-11-2009, 08:27 AM

Quote:
I VERY highly doubt that there are attorneys in Southern California who do not wear suits to court. Especially without getting reprimanded by the judge.

Pittsburgh is a fairly casual place, so I don't really get your beef. Most law firms are business casual or maybe a step above, but most don't require or expect suits on a daily basis.

Wearing a suit is a cultural expectation thing that is not unique to Pittsburgh in any way, shape, or form.

If anything, I would argue that from a business perspective, Pittsburgh is a way more casual place than many other cities. I interact with enough people from different businesses to know.

I wonder if your perception versus the reality are different. If you're looking for work at a mall store, it would surprise me if you actually had much firsthand experience with the Pittsburgh business scene. It sound like you're basing your views on assumptions and views from 10,000 feet instead of actual personal observations and experience.
Well to clarify, I meant attorneys dress more lax when they're working in their offices. You already said so yourself. Not to mention, I don't live in the City of Pittsburgh. My perceptions may be a little off, but what am I to expect when a large number of the city's workforce works at one of the major hospitals or numerous law firms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh