Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 06:03 PM

1 posts, read 3,396 times

Advertisements

I'm a 30 year single, professional male considering a move to Pittsburgh from NYC

Have a few questions

1) where are the best neighborhoods for single people in the 30's. I'd like to be in an area of town with nightlife, restaurants, but have access to the beautiful outdoors and city parks. I'll be working downtown. I'm used to paying $2000/month to rent, so I'm comfortable staying in that budget, although I expect to get more for my money. I'm planning on getting a dog, so I would like to find a place with that option.

2) What are people's impression of the dating scene? I'm used to cities where people do mostly online dating. The kind of women that I date are usually other professionals, or graduate students.

3) I may have more questions as they come up.

Hope to hear some positive responses. I know Pittsburgh is a hidden gem of a city, and there isn't much people can say to discourage me from moving there. It's a dream job and worth me giving the city a try for a year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2009, 08:30 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,014,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcticMonkey View Post
1) where are the best neighborhoods for single people in the 30's. I'd like to be in an area of town with nightlife, restaurants, but have access to the beautiful outdoors and city parks. I'll be working downtown. I'm used to paying $2000/month to rent, so I'm comfortable staying in that budget, although I expect to get more for my money. I'm planning on getting a dog, so I would like to find a place with that option.
Well, the good news is that $2000/month is a huge amount for Pittsburgh, so you can pretty much pick your neighborhood. Popular neighborhoods for young single professionals working Downtown include Downtown itself, the South Side, and Shadyside (the latter two have the most active nightlife). Given your interest in the city parks and plan to get a dog, you might also think about Squirrel Hill--although it is more about restaurants than nightlife, it is still generally popular with young professionals, and you can easily hop over to Shadyside or the South Side from there. That is just a start on possible suggestions, but if you are new to the City, I think there is a certain advantage to starting in one of the better-established neighborhoods and checking out the alternatives in person at your leisure.

Quote:
What are people's impression of the dating scene? I'm used to cities where people do mostly online dating. The kind of women that I date are usually other professionals, or graduate students.
I've been married many years now, but my impression, for what it is worth, is that the dating scene for young professional/grad-student-types in the City has picked up a bit over the last few years. That probably still just makes it average, but no worse than that.

Quote:
I know Pittsburgh is a hidden gem of a city, and there isn't much people can say to discourage me from moving there. It's a dream job and worth me giving the city a try for a year.
I really think Pittsburgh can be a fantastic place for a person with a good professional job, particularly given the relatively low cost of living--so no discouragement here!

Old 11-08-2009, 09:39 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
Quote:
2) What are people's impression of the dating scene? I'm used to cities where people do mostly online dating. The kind of women that I date are usually other professionals, or graduate students.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
I've been married many years now, but my impression, for what it is worth, is that the dating scene for young professional/grad-student-types in the City has picked up a bit over the last few years. That probably still just makes it average, but no worse than that.
I wouldn't consider 30 a young professional for long. He's heading into middle age in a few years.

The dating scene depends on what he wants to accomplish.

Is he just looking to sleep around? Is he looking for a girlfrield? Is he looking for a committed relationship? Is he ready to settle down and get married?

Old 11-08-2009, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I wouldn't consider 30 a young professional for long.
30 is the new 25, or so I've heard.

Or maybe I've just started saying it, the farther 30 recedes into the rearview mirror.

Old 11-09-2009, 06:26 AM

Just a few quick facts:

In September the unemployment rate in the U.S. was 9.8%, in PA it was 8.8%, and in Pittsburgh it was 8.1%.

Old 11-09-2009, 08:14 AM

145 posts, read 283,649 times
Quote:
I'm a 30 year single, professional male considering a move to Pittsburgh from NYC

Have a few questions

I would likely suggest Shadyside, which is close to Schenley Park, Oakland, etc. You can find some very nice remodeled/updated places to live, well within your budget. Nightlife and restaurants are sufficient in the area, while still not too far from the rest of downtown, South Side, etc.

Living downtown would also have many perks, though the dog/park preferences may not be so do'able.

Quote:
The dating scene, to a new resident, will likely be pretty exciting. Shadyside and the downtown spots seem to maintain a bit older scene (25-30+), while South Side typically represents a younger college-aged crowd (with the exception of a few specific locations). If online dating is the norm around here, it would be news to me.

Old 11-09-2009, 08:21 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onepoint View Post
If online dating is the norm around here, it would be news to me.
Quite a few of my friends found their wives on the internet here in Pittsburgh. The internet does cut through the bull****.

Old 11-10-2009, 11:27 PM

1,758 posts, read 4,230,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Quite a few of my friends found their wives on the internet here in Pittsburgh. The internet does cut through the bull****.

Right Hopes.

Old 11-12-2009, 07:45 AM

5 posts, read 12,346 times
Default Advice

I moved hear from NYC - 4.5 yrs ago. Granted cost of living is a gigantic positive improvement but your social life will suffer beyond repair.

If you are looking for a life partner and friends, Pgh isn't the place to be.

Old 11-12-2009, 07:56 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,544,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by esmith4 View Post
I moved hear from NYC - 4.5 yrs ago. Granted cost of living is a gigantic positive improvement but your social life will suffer beyond repair.

If you are looking for a life partner and friends, Pgh isn't the place to be.

Pal, with all due respect, you're standards must be pretty high. I can barely remember being a bachelor but can always recall a TON of good looking, educated women available in the Pgh area. And when my wife and I stop for a drink after a play on the South Side or Downtown, it sure seems to me that there are still a lot of fine looking women in Pgh.

Maybe it's you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh