Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 07:15 AM

6,342 posts, read 11,089,409 times

Advertisements

More than likely its a lack of demand due to declining sales. LL Bean recently closed a Call Center in Waterville, Maine for this very reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2009, 07:28 AM

3,164 posts, read 6,703,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
More than likely its a lack of demand due to declining sales. LL Bean recently closed a Call Center in Waterville, Maine for this very reason.
That's big, any idea how LL Bean is doing as a company?

Old 11-11-2009, 07:49 AM

6,342 posts, read 11,089,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrpriester View Post
The two other call centers that LL Bean has are OK. This one was closed because sales have declined and the Waterville office was apparently very expensive to maintain. In a strong economy with high sales volume the higher cost of doing business at that facility were justified. But in this economy apparently it was not.

WATERVILLE L.L. BEAN TO CLOSE CALL CENTER

My guess is that the Dish Network center was faced with a similar situation. I suspect though that the cost of doing business in McKeesport is a little lower than Waterville, Maine.

Old 11-11-2009, 08:03 AM

29,745 posts, read 34,389,499 times
Quote:
They are expanding their retail market, though, since they now have stores outside of Maine. When my parents were last visiting they happily dropped over $300 up at the Ross Park store.

Old 11-11-2009, 08:22 AM

1,340 posts, read 2,804,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeeAye Native View Post
If Pittsburgh is too expensive, then those same corporations have already ruled out all of NJ, all of NY except the Adirondacks, almost all every county in the Lehigh Valley and all of southeastern PA. All of eastern MD, northern VA and the entire DC area.

The point is, Pittsburgh is pretty inexpensive compared to other metro areas of the country. If companies are saying they are relocating because of that factor, dig deeper, because there are other reasons hidden somewhere.
Exactly, the whole US is shutting down as the dollar goes into its death spiral.

Be sure and donate whatever you have to Wall Street so they can buy Euros and Swiss Franks in the meantime.

Old 11-11-2009, 08:27 AM

1,340 posts, read 2,804,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
Even in normal times, particular jobs and particular employers come and go. That is the nature of a competitive capitalist economy.
Would be if we had one, the thing capitalism abhors most is competition.
hence trusts. monopolies , collusion and bribery are its very lifeblood.

Old 11-11-2009, 09:37 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingfoot View Post
Would be if we had one, the thing capitalism abhors most is competition.
hence trusts. monopolies , collusion and bribery are its very lifeblood.
Many people have told me that they would have started small businesses or tried self employment if they didnt' need to work for a company for benefits.

Healthcare reform could have a positive impact on how business is done in the United States.

Some might whine, but there are plenty of people out there who are willing to step into their place once they dont' need to rely on corporations for benefits.

Old 11-11-2009, 09:53 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,657,658 times
Quote:
LL Bean is a private, family-held corporation, so details of how they are weathering this are not particularly forthcoming. As a longtime customer, though, I can say they continue with plenty of incentives. They've been giving out promotional gift cards to use later for seems like months, and it's still going on now through Dec 24. In the past I seem to recall spending $50 to get a $10 promo card. Right now it's spend $25 to get a $10 promo card (promo card good through mid-Feb). Any $25 or more purchase qualifies. That definitely suggests a push for some cash flow at the expense of profit, but it doesn't really tell us the seriousness of it all.

Although they have made moves into some lower priced items, LL Bean is still seen as and generally priced as somewhat upscale, despite the outdoor roots. That probably hurts more now than if you're a more discount oriented retailer. And yet, we see the opening of a new REI at Settler's Ridge. The idea that the Pittsburgh are actually needs two REI stores seems even more risky to me than one LL Bean at Ross Park. I know all about Pittsburgh retail being fractured, etc, but still, these are destination-type stores. (The Settler's Ridge REI is a bit smaller than the South Side Works one, or seemed it.) I'm pretty sure LL Bean is in a decent position to ride out the downturn and see its 100th birthday in a couple years, but I'm guessing there are a few tough years in there (this year, at least some of last year and probably next).

Old 11-11-2009, 10:02 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
A lot of call centers for mailorder catelogs will be closing since most people make place their orders over the internet these days.

Old 11-11-2009, 12:30 PM

366 posts, read 944,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeo View Post
I was wondering about the ten-year tax abatement, too, when I read the article. But the satellite TV business isn't what it used to be, either. As Brian said, businesses come and go all the time - it's the nature of capitalism.
The economic climate could have contributed to the decision but I would be shocked if the tax abatement didn't play a major role. It happens all the time. They just shut down, fire the employees, find the best deal in the state (or country for that matter), and hire new employees. The new employees cost less because, well, they are new.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh