U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 11-10-2009, 07:25 PM

7,883 posts, read 6,278,104 times
Headache in a Bottle is what we called it back in the day. Worst beer I've ever had, unless it was free. If they made a quality beer they'd still be in business.
Quick reply to this message

Unread 11-10-2009, 07:32 PM

1,758 posts, read 2,131,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
Headache in a Bottle is what we called it back in the day. Worst beer I've ever had, unless it was free. If they made a quality beer they'd still be in business.
It used to be quality. It was not the same as it was many years ago. That was why they went downhill.

Unread 11-10-2009, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuwaver88 View Post
. It was not the same as it was many years ago. .

I'm talking over 20 years ago, how many are you talking?

Unread 11-10-2009, 07:35 PM

1,758 posts, read 2,131,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
I'm talking over 20 years ago, how many are you talking?

Thirty plus. 1970s.

Unread 11-10-2009, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Thirty plus. 1970s.
I was hiding my age, my first, and last, Iron City beer was in '72.

I take that back, I was at my old Frat Boy reunion 2 months ago in Atlantic City and some clown brought 2 cases of Iron. It still sucks.

Unread 11-10-2009, 09:41 PM

8,744 posts, read 4,845,309 times
Quote:
Iron City was an excellent lager many years ago. If anyone has ever had Harp Lager, Iron City tasted similar. The product went downhill after it acquired new ownership. The quality was not where it once was.
I do remember trying to order an Iron City while I lived in Shadyside in the 1980s. People would look at me like "What did he say?" You see, Iron City always marketed itself as workingmans's beer, therefore, Shadyside, which is all about image, would not dare have any bar that carried that beer, even though it was as good as any at the time and was from Pittsburgh. I knew what the answer was going to be but I was trying to prove a point. When the bartender would say "We don't carry it", I would order Heineken or a Beck's(Belgians and and crafts were not very widespread tweny-five years ago) just to amuse myself. Just because a commercial says that steelworkers drink this beer, as opposed to Coors Light, whose commercials have models in night clubs getting jiggy with it, does not mean that you are either if you drink that particular beer. It is all water, malt, hops and barley in a can. My dad always had a case of Iron City 16 oz. bottles (Pounders) in the house. He worked on the road with Equitable Gas and would get it straight from the brewery. It was a very good beer at one time. People from all over the USA would try to get it, not just ex Pittsburghers either. Rolling Rock actually was a bit of a trendy beer several years ago. I remember visiting my brother in Texas in the early 1990s and people drinking it a lot, kinda like Yuengling is now.
Agreed. At the store down the street, we have a pretty good beer selection. They sell the 16 oz. bottles right along the best of Oregon ales. I definitely grab an IC on occasion. I an an ale guy, but I find it to be a more than passable lager. Much better than say, Coors or Bud. But that is just my well-worn taste buds. Never liked any lagers in green bottle, they have always tasted skunky to me. I like the fancier beers plenty, but sometimes something lighter hits the spot for me. The crap I loathe is "Shiner bock" or whatever they call that stuff. It nearly ruined a perfectly good week of pub crawling in Austin, TX a few years ago.

This is all a bit sad because I bet Iron City would be the ideal beer to drink with your Deep-fried bologne sandwiches at Toby's place.....

Unread 11-11-2009, 09:43 AM

1,983 posts, read 1,682,611 times
Not quite off topic, because it falls into the same sort of class as the Steeler packaging, but who rememebers "Olde Frothingslosh. The pale, stale ale with the foam on the bottom"?

Unread 11-11-2009, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchdigger View Post
Not quite off topic, because it falls into the same sort of class as the Steeler packaging, but who rememebers "Olde Frothingslosh. The pale, stale ale with the foam on the bottom"?

Is your name Rege Cordic???

Unread 11-11-2009, 12:12 PM

155 posts, read 361,518 times
Yeah imagine what those of us from Latrobe felt like when Rolling Rock sold to Anheiser Busch and moved the whole operation to stinking Newark!

Unread 11-11-2009, 02:20 PM

2,668 posts, read 2,393,535 times
Funny part is that I stopped drinking Rolling Rock when they began to make it elsewhere, and now that Iron City is being made there, I wouldn't order it ever again either.

Too bad the region couldn't support a local icon such as Iron City Beer. I never had a real issue with Iron or it's taste but could never stand IC Light, as it tasted like wet cardboard. Well, no longer can one "Have a Duke" nor partake in a local Iron City Beer. What is this world coming too?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh